1.    #1  
    Well, this is gonna sound insane but i need a patch that hides the web browser app and here is why ... I love so much my pre that I boght one for my 11 year old boy, he is such of good kid and off course I now that he does not need something like a palm pre but he was always doing question while I was moding my pre and well a toght it would be a good idea that we could mode the phones together and bring him closer to my favorite hooby anyways the thing is that after I activated the phone I realize that I don't have any parents control for the phone and if I cut the internet on it the phone become worthless so the only solution that I can think of is hide the youtube app (done! because there is a patch for that) and the hide the browser as well obviously there is no such of patch so I could not deliver the phone to his "owner" yet and is being siting in my night stant for a while. I tried to look at the script used to make all the other patches that hide native apps and I might be able to do it but need something that I can put on and off on the phone and I have no clue of how to pack this and submited to preware so my last resorce is this .... PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY SONS PRE!!!!!!
    Is someone gonna help this guy out?
    even if you hide the app any hyperlink or global search will open the app.
    Just rename the browser app folder, or move it somewhere.
    If you are both modding the phones together, chances are he will find out you hid the browser app.

I sell phones at Fry's Electronics. I just got a friend of mine into 3 Pre Plusses and a Pixi Plus for his family. His children are 11 and 13.

The only recourse is to have your child understand the rules that come with the privileges of being able to use that phone, and what the consequences are of breaking those rules.
    what;s the worse thing he can do on the browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    even if you hide the app any hyperlink or global search will open the app.
    If the application is hidden ( via appinfo.json ) it will not show up in Global Search.

Try this out:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    If the application is hidden ( via appinfo.json ) it will not show up in Global Search.

Try this out:
    Couldn't he just email himself a link, then open it and have full access to the Browser?
    I didn't even think about that. I think there's amother entry I can try to hide the browser. Next time I can get to my computer i'll give it a try.
    Really, at that age, how much trouble can he get on a web phone browser? Show a little back bone and set up some rules for him, instead of trying to trick him into thinking he does not have a browser. Gee you young parents spend too much time negociated with your kids instead of being a parent.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    Really, at that age, how much trouble can he get on a web phone browser? Show a little back bone and set up some rules for him, instead of trying to trick him into thinking he does not have a browser. Gee you young parents spend too much time negociated with your kids instead of being a parent.
    At the risk of going OT... He's 11 years old! You don't let your 11yo walk down a street with **** shops alone. Educate him? Absolutely! But don't send him out to the soul-vultures unprotected.

Back on topic a little bit: Perhaps a better solution is to make a mod that installs a web proxy such as Dan's Guardian.
    Have you checked in to the parental controls service that Verizon offers? I don't know if it will do anything for the web, but I know it allows controls over text messaging and calling.

The other option is to lock it up and only let him have it when he is with you, since this is specifically a project for you to do together...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Couldn't he just email himself a link, then open it and have full access to the Browser?
    I also realized... This probably won't be able to be a patch. If PreWare is opened the patch will be listed in there with the rest & can be easily removed. The files will have to be edited instead of patched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    I also realized... This probably won't be able to be a patch. If PreWare is opened the patch will be listed in there with the rest & can be easily removed. The files will have to be edited instead of patched.
    And then those modded files would have to be reverted back to stock for each WebOS update. Sorry OP, it would be very complicated to disable the Browser. It's too integrated into the rest of the OS.
    I have a patch ( & therefore can be manually done ) that stops the browser from loading, however it will still open the card when a link is selected. If you wanted, you could also change the splash image to something saying "Disabled" or similar, but i can't stop the browser card from starting, just from actually doing anything.
  16.    #16  
    Thank's so much to every person that has coment here trying to help me finding a solution to my dilema.

And of course I have talk to him about what is wrong and right but that does not mean that because I told him that a
    car cold run him over and kill him i'm going to push him to cross the first street that we find along the way and just give him the tools to do it, do you know how many sexual predators and corrupted minded people there is in the internet on the hunt for minors plus easy accsess sexual sick contet just give it a shot with your phone browser.

But leaving my parental believes and back to the topic the veritas06 solution would be perfect for me

quote "I have a patch ( & therefore can be manually done ) that stops the browser from loading, however it will still open the card when a link is selected. If you wanted, you could also change the splash image to something saying "Disabled" or similar, but i can't stop the browser card from starting, just from actually doing anything"

This is exctly what I was looking for and if you could give me the insides of it would be great!

Thank's again to each and every one of you and hopefully there is gonna be an opportunity for me to respond at one of your posts.

Carlos, someone that enjoys WEBOS.
    Use webOS Quick Install's "Receive File" & place:

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/appinfo.json

in the file field. Once it's received, make a copy, open it up & look for the line that says:

"main": "index.html",

& replace index.html with null ( or pretty much anything other than index.html ).

Then send the file back ( i'm not sure if it wants the exact file name or the folder ) so the path will either be:

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/

-OR-

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/appinfo.json

Then, before an update just restore the backup file you made.
    Last edited by Veritas06; 05/04/2010 at 04:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    You obviously have no idea what our kids are being subjected to now-a-days. A good friend of mine just had her son (11 years old) suspended from school because he was giving ****ographic viewings during lunch break at his school to all his buddies on HIS phone.

We "young parents" know a thing or two when it comes to these things because we "young parents" are the closest to ground zero. I am 28 with 3 little young'ns. In 8th grade I knew a kid that sold floppies of hardcore p_rn for a buck. So the threat is out there and availible.

To the OP, why not just buy a gamecube, mod chip, and a soldering iron and teach them modding on the hardware level for pretty cheap. Worked for me.