1.    #1  
    Problem also discussed in this thread:

Preware patch hangs on remove

...but the thread title was vague enough I'm opening this redundant thread.

I installed the Device Temperature Warnings patch when I tried using the 800 MHz kernel. I stopped using the kernel when I started getting temp warnings any time I'd try to play music or a podcast. But even at 500 MHz, the patch is throwing up warning notifications if I play audio for more than a few minutes.

I went to remove the patch using Preware, and saw an unexpected dialog about the Package Manager Service (warning about the icon you see in the launcher the first time you reboot after installing). Tapping ok on that dialog, Preware just hung for about 5 minutes, during which time the temp warning patch started throwing up warning notifications. I got nervous and closed Preware and let the phone cool off.

Tried WOQI, and it doesn't even see the patch, although it's still there throwing up warnings. Tried Preware again, same behavior - weird dialog, preware hangs trying to remove.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the patch?
  2.    #2  
    I was wrong when I said the patch doesn't show up in WOQI. I had forgotten there are two tabs in the device management dialog, and I was looking at the Applications tab, not the Patches tab.

Apparently removes normally using WOQI, and no longer shows up there or in Preware. But I'm still getting temp warnings after a full reboot, just while my phone is charging on the touchstone. *sigh*
    Last edited by dwhitman; 05/01/2010 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I was wrong when I said the patch doesn't show up in WOQI. I had forgotten there are two tabs in the device management dialog, and I was looking at the Applications tab, not the Patches tab.

Apparently removes normally using WOQI, and no longer shows up there or in Preware. But I'm still getting temp warnings after a full reboot, just while my phone is charging on the touchstone. *sigh*
    do you think maybe you also installed one of those "top bar" multi patches that has a temp warning kernal imbedded or perhaps even a multipatch that was just updated to INCLUDE the temp warning thing and you didn't notice that it was added in the update notes?

also...the touchstone heating issue - from what i remember of college automotive electrical systems - if the phones get hot while on the touchstone its because there's too much going on, in the background of your phone, that you cant see but should try to diagnose for safety reasons.

if there's a large draw of battery power going on when the pre is on the touchstone charger it is essentially "putting a load on it" so the charger will send MORE ions back and forth across the inductive field to try and reach "equilibrium" of the ions on both sides (phone and charger). the movement of the (+) and (-) ions back and forth causes the heat. the more movement - the more heat right? your phone is getting a friction burn you could say.

anyone see any errors in my electricity explanation? i threw in some chemistry for good measure but i may have something backwards and dont want to cause any undue problems or stress for anyone. please post any fixes here and dm me so i can come and thank or rebutt as necessary.
    Last edited by creepycat; 05/02/2010 at 11:10 AM.
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".