Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Looks like the basic 'add imdb' patch has hit preware. Functions properly but does not properly add the icon. I don't have any patches to universal search, and don't think the 'glass effect' patch would throw this off, but not sure.

I would love to use this super patch in universal search but wonder if Facebook can be added? With all the businesses and things to 'Like' now, it seems Facebook searching may be MORE popular than a Twitter search. If it has not already been submitted, this super search patch should definitely be in Preware for those of us who try to avoid adding files through QI.

Any possibility of turning this super patch into an actual app? You might find that many would love to pay for an app that would allow them to 'check mark' search locations to be added to universal search....IE if I want to have IMDB, FB, Gmaps, and google, I would pull up your app, check mark those 4 and the app would modify the universal search to always give just those options. Thoughts?????
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    patch downloaded via preware but icon failed to show properly on universal search shows [] instead of imdb
    same problem as houston I took a screen shot if needed. I was wondering if you could make a release that removes twitter and add bing, yahoo, & IMDB =). Or just Bing and IMDB would be fine as well. Thanks for making the IMDB patch I love it.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Steve, would you agree with my above post that it would be best if each user could decide which search engines they want to have in universal search? That way the dev would just need to put together the app suggestion and each person could customize their own.

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonmale04 View Post
    patch downloaded via preware but icon failed to show properly on universal search shows [] instead of imdb
    I can confirm this. I've removed this patch until this is fixed (unless it's something that should be done on the user's end - though nothing was specified in the description).

Quote Originally Posted by bigfire View Post
    Steve, would you agree with my above post that it would be best if each user could decide which search engines they want to have in universal search? That way the dev would just need to put together the app suggestion and each person could customize their own.
    I agree with this. For instance, I wanted to add Bing but not Yahoo, I don't think there's a patch.

It'd be great to have a separate patch for each - including ones that "remove" items (like Twitter).
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    I can confirm this. I've removed this patch until this is fixed (unless it's something that should be done on the user's end - though nothing was specified in the description).
    Hint: Read the first post of this thread.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    i use imdb often enough that it will come in handy
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    a patch that adds a functionality with a click should also include the file for an icon for the button...so thanks for your hint, Mr. Air Band hater, but the point is still that it should be a complete patch with a face, not a [].

i agree bigfire. I'm not sure how that would work though. I wish you could add multiple patches that touched the same file i.e.: remove twitter app, add bing/yahoo search, then add imdb. But only one of those can be installed at any given time. Hopefully a new patch will come out soon.
  10. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    For those having trouble with the icons showing up in the universal search, be sure the image files are renamed properly.

search-imdb.png
    search-dictionary.png
    search-thesaurus.png

That was my downfall, but I opened the patch in Notepad and saw what image files the patch was calling.
    Thanks so much for this patch. I had really been missing a quick way to look things up on IMDB.
    Question - While I am happy to have this function on Universal search, is there a way to make the IMDB search show up in the web browser. As it stands,I only get google and Wikipedia options when I start typing in the browser. I have to minimize my browser card and start typing to get the IMDB in universal search.
  12.    #72  
    Hmmmm .... this patch is not available via Preware because I do not have enough knowledge of how to bind the images to the patch and allow it to work. Someone submitted a different patch and thought it would work just like the bing and yahoo patches. Unfortunately, Palm has included the images for those two search engines within WebOS and that is why those patches work. They have not included the images for IMDb or any other search engines.

Ultimately, this is not the patch in Preware and I am not supporting that patch. I would email the developer link inside of Preware to get any answers. I wish I knew more programming or had the time but this patch is as is. Now, I can add/remove any items to give any combinations that are wanted but I won't be able to submit it to Preware because that is a little beyond my knowledge base. Thanks for everyone's understading.
    If you are interested in retrieving the IMDB mobile site via Universal Search and are not afraid to use a text editor or Internalz, try the following:
    in line 12 change
    Code:
    +			'imdb':$L("http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q="),
    to
    Code:
    +			'imdb':$L("http://m.imdb.com/find?s=all&q="),
    I know, a really simple modification, but the experience is so much better. Sorry, I've got no experience in patch making. Maybe bpdamas can integrate it into the next version.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
  14. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Where would this change be made? Sounds too easy to just modify the patch file in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications. Is that really how it works, or do I have to uninstall the patch, modify the code, and reinstall the patch?
    I downloaded and edited it, before installing it. Was never keen on IMDB on the Pre before the mobile site hit.
    So uninstall it first, then open it in internalz, change it, and reinstall it. After all said and done, reboot (if you wanna be totally safe, you can reboot after removal, however I didn't and it still works).
    'til we meet again.
    THL
  16. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Found it, and it works beautifully. Does anyone have any idea why (and maybe a solution, too) the same change does not work for mobile bing and mobile yahoo? It still gives results in desktop format.
  17. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Hmmm. From what I can tell, I have no idea how to write a patch. I think the reason the Bing and Yahoo sites won't redirect to mobile even after changing the text in the patch has something to do with default setting in Universal Search that this patch doesn't actually modify. (I could be wrong. In fact, I'm probably wrong.)

In any event, is there a patch author out there who can change the Bing and Yahoo URLs to their respective mobile sites? I have done some digging, and it appears that these are the URLs the patch would have to point to (although, again, I know very little about these things, so I could be incorrect):

Yahoo!
    Bing
    Patch works great, also used the mod posted above to link to the mobile site, but I am getting the white box around my image for IMDB..... thinking I may have incorrectly downloaded or applied the image.

For clarification I used the instructions and proper image file and see the IMDB image, just not sure about the white box around the image (as I have seen a couple screen caps in this thread that show the image with the same background as the rest of universal search). Should I be installing my theme after the patch?

Just looking for any trouble shooting help before I take this on my own and/or edit the image if needed.

Nevermind, fixed it quick and easy with the colored icons, so it was an issue with however I applied the PNG... anyways, thanks for all the info from everyone..... getting deeper and deeper into my webos knowledge... =)
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 08/14/2010 at 12:27 AM.
    Great patch, but I went ahead and modified it for two reasons.

1. Changed to mobile IMDB website.
    2. Put IMDB search under Google Maps so it stays in alphabetical order.
  20.    #80  
    I have updated the first post in this thread to work with 1.4.5. I have also made the mobile search for IMDb added to universal search patch. If there are any questions please let me know.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast