1.    #1  
    OK, so first off this community rocks and the Palm Pre's best features in my eyes are its easily patchable OS.

But, I was wondering, are all of these patches advantageous to Palm?

Are they allowed to take patches and then add them to their actual WebOS updates?

Clearly the open-source nature would be benifital to them... for example rather than paying people how to make new IM messenger implementations, they could just take the patches that have been created here and add them to a new update.

If they did this, could a patcher sue them for taking their work? Or is it all rightfully the property of Palm.

If this is OK for them to do, I wish they would. An update with some of the amazing patch work done on this site would really make the causal users of the phone much happier.

(Im thinking specifically Facebook Chat, that feature alone would attract some people)
    Well...the did steal the bliink notification patch as far as im concerned lol. Wrong thread btw lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Well...the did steal the bliink notification patch as far as im concerned lol. Wrong thread btw lol.
    They didn't steal it the programming for it was already done just disabled for some reason all the patch did was enable it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Actually the Enable LED notification patch simply uncommented Palm's code that was already there, same with Add/Delete Launcher Pages. Just wanted to clarify that.
    All the patches ( released through PreWare at least ) are MIT License, which means Palm is free to use them to improve webOS.
    everything these patches do was already built into the phone,,just disabled for some reason,,dont know why. One would think that when a device is being sold,all it is capable of doing would go along with it.. So I will take this time to thank these guys who make all these great features possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    All the patches ( released through PreWare at least ) are MIT License, which means Palm is free to use them to improve webOS.
    Also, anything posted in this subforum, unless explicitly stated otherwise, is MIT.

NuttyBunny all the patches you find here are intended to be under MIT license, it's the whole idea to make it easy for palm to implement them in some way - I'm sure every patcher would be proud so see his/her improvements make it to the official version of the OS.
    Very few of the patches only enable disabled features. Most add their own function to webOS ( the virtual keyboard being a perfect example.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    everything these patches do was already built into the phone,,just disabled for some reason,,dont know why.
    Not true. Most add their own additional code and functionality.
  11.    #11  
    Awesome! Good to hear. I think it is amazing that everyone puts their own time and effort into coding these patches and then allows Palm to use the code.

I really hope Palm does the right thing and uses some of these patches... they are awesome!

Maybe its not so much the actual coding but the beta-testing that is required, why Palm doesn't spend their time implementing these patches into the stock OS.

It would be awesome to set up some sort of patch testing community, where Palm could see the patches being tested and look at the issues people are having with them or not having.

Maybe this would speed up their implementation even faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Maybe its not so much the actual coding but the beta-testing that is required, why Palm doesn't spend their time implementing these patches into the stock OS.

It would be awesome to set up some sort of patch testing community, where Palm could see the patches being tested and look at the issues people are having with them or not having.
    This forum is sort of intended to be a beta testing community.