Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All.

This patch adds an icon to the top bar whenever your GPS receiver is turned on, similar to the Wifi or Bluetooth icons. Because I have not found a way to subscribe to GPS like you can with Wifi or Bluetooth, the icon update routine piggy backs on the power update routine. Because of this, the icon won't update immediately when changing the GPS setting. I hope to find a better way in the future, but I think its good enough to put it out there for now.

Interestingly, the icon and a little bit of code already existed on the phone, so I'm guessing Palm was planning or is planning to add this feature at some point. A second icon also exists for when your GPS has a location lock. I'd like to add functionality for that to my patch in the future as well.

This is my first patch attempt, so I'd appreciate any feedback or comments. I've done some testing and it seems to work fine, but I can't make any guarantees for your device or how well it will behave with other patches. Also, if anyone has suggestions to improve how this works, I'm all ears.

Hopefully someone finds this useful!

--Todd

Update (5/4/10):
    I have new patches available.

The "Version 2" patch is just an update to the original patch that should provide better compatibility with already installed patches. If the original worked for you, there is no advantage of reinstalling with this one.

The "With Lock Icon" adds the additional feature of changing the GPS icon to glow green when you have a location lock. A location lock is defined as having a GPS accuracy of less than 140 meters, which is the requirement for Sprint Navigation to work. Due to the frequent polling of the location service required for this to work, my testing shows that this patch has a noticeable effect on battery life. "Version 2" is most likely the better choice, but maybe someone will have better results or have thoughts on ways to improve it.

Also, don't try to install both patches simultaneously. It's either one or the other.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by roto22; 05/04/2010 at 09:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Good Idea, I will try it out.
  3. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I'd like to try it, but it seems to conflict with at least one of my other top bar patches installed. I have Add Date, Change EV Icon to 3G (that one shouldn't be a problem), Ringer Switch Icon, and Rotated Battery Icon. I'm thinking it's either or both of the last two. iI haven't tried to debug it yet, should just be a matter of moving things around a bit.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    If you could get this working as stated in the OP that would be awesome!! I would love to know when My phone is accessing the GPS, even better with Location lock!!

Keep up the good work

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roto22 View Post
    ...the icon won't update immediately when changing the GPS setting.
    I have GPS in the device menu, so a quick way to get the icon to toggle:
    Pull down device menu, enable GPS
    Close device menu
    Pull down device menu again, icon appears

Seems to work the same way when disabling it.

Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I'd like to try it, but it seems to conflict with at least one of my other top bar patches installed. I have Add Date, Change EV Icon to 3G (that one shouldn't be a problem), Ringer Switch Icon, and Rotated Battery Icon. I'm thinking it's either or both of the last two. iI haven't tried to debug it yet, should just be a matter of moving things around a bit.
    Worked ok here. I have the following top bar patches:

Palm carrier string
    18pt Font
    EVDO to 3G
    Ringer Switch Icon
    It conflicts with a patch for me. I running Jason's add media volume top bar patch.....add date..add ringer button...really silent button. And thats it.
    any pics of it in action??
  8.    #8  
    Yeah, the patching system is strange. I have 4 other patches that if I have any of them installed first, my GPS patch won't apply. However, if I install my patch first, all 4 others will apply correctly afterward. I'm not sure what location in the file the patch should modify for the best compatibility. If anyone has ideas, please let me know.

--Todd
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by churro View Post
    any pics of it in action??
    Here it is running on my device. It's pretty basic, but fits in nice with the other icons.

--Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images
  10. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Well, I removed everything that I think could possibly interfere with the patch, still won't install, I even ran the Emergency File Verification tool, and it doesn't even mention any of the files in the patch as being modified, so I'm a bit stumped. I'm going to try and do it manually and see how far I get.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  11. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I manually patched the files, and it works great! roto22, what WebOS version are you running on? I can see why the patch failed for me, my files were a fair bit different.
  12.    #12  
    I manually patched the files, and it works great! roto22, what WebOS version are you running on? I can see why the patch failed for me, my files were a fair bit different.
    I'm running 1.4.1.1 on a Sprint Pre. I probably should have mentioned that in my original post.

Glad to hear you got it working, but what version are you running? Maybe I can make a separate patch for it for the benefit of others.

--Todd
  13. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Awesome! Can't wait to try it out. Would love to see it on Preware eventually
  14. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Mine is 1.4.1.1 on Bell, I can't see there being that much difference, but it definitely was different. I will try and get a patch file made to show the difference.
    thanks a lot. i had asked for this a while back. we all knew the png was in the phone, but not active. I tried to install, and got an error.

------------------------------------------------------
    PATCH INSTALLATION Fri Apr 30 16:30:14 EDT 2010
    ------------------------------------------------------
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.patches.gpsiconontopbar/gpsiconontopbar.patch

----------------------------------
    Dry run patch attempt...
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 28 (offset 5 lines).
    Hunk #2 FAILED at 1775.
    1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/views/bar/bar-scene.html
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 31 (offset 2 lines).
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 415 (offset 27 lines).

dry run failed, checking if -R would succeed
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs
    Unreversed patch detected! Ignore -R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    Skipping patch.
    2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/views/bar/bar-scene.html
    Apply anyway? [n]
    Skipping patch.
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/views/bar/bar-scene.html.rej
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css
    Apply anyway? [n]
    Skipping patch.
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css.rej

Installation FAILED!
    1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    ls -R /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.patches.gpsiconontopbar
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.patches.gpsiconontopbar:
    gpsiconontopbar.patch
    package_list
    *** FAILED ***
    Help please.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    Help please.
    Do you have other patches installed? The patch is not very forgiving if other patches related to the top bar or device menu are already installed. Remove those first, add my patch (hopefully successfully) and then you can most likely reapply the patches you had to remove.

I'm testing a new version of the patch which seems to play better with other patches. It also changes the icon when you have a position lock. Hopefully it will test well and I'll be able to release it soon.

--Todd
    yes. 17 font, rotated battery, and device menu megamix.
    i will try your suggestion to remove those, install gps, and then install them back.
  18.    #18  
    I have new patches available. See the first post for the details (and the patches). If there are no major issues found, I plan to submit "Version 2" to Preware soon.

Due to the limitations of the GPS/Location service, I think this is the best I can make this work. I am not planning on making any additional improvements at this time.

--Todd
    Not working fo me
    Using 1.4.1 pre plus, GSM French
    Not working fo me
    Using 1.4.1 pre plus, GSM French
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast