Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

This is my first ever patch, so please go easy on me

It replaces the launcher's grey background with a glassy black look which I think is much sexier. The screenshots on the left are without the patch, and the shots on the right are with the patch.

I gotta admit, I wanted this project to be so much bigger. I wanted this glass effect to persist around the operating system like in the device menu and in the splashscreens etc. I made some photoshop mockups of how I wanted it to look, and I've posted them below so you can see what might have been. So basically, everything beneath this line is not yet implemented in this patch - but if any developers would like to help develop this patch further so that I can see this project through I'd be seriously grateful.

I just don't have the skillz

Hope you like it If there's any interest I might think about submitting it to Preware.

I have submitted this to Preware

Acknowledgements: The inspiration (and everything I've learned from patching today) has come from discolightning's Lite Launcher Patch, so here's a shout out to him and his team.

UPDATE:

Hey guys, I've managed to hack together a solution for extending the black glass effect to the splash screens. It is a hack job as I haven't figured out a way to deploy this as a patch yet.

This involves using the linux command line, so please be careful. Everything you do when using the command line, patching or otherwise modifying your device is at your own risk.

Remember all linux commands are CaSe SeNsiTiVe and must be typed precisely as below. Ideally you should copy my code and paste it into WebOS Quick Install's commandline. You can damage your device or render this patch irreversible if you don't follow the guide completely.

To apply this hack/patch:

1) Download the glass splash card image (or make your own )

2) Open a command line (WebOS Quick Install, Terminal, Novaterm - whatever's your flavour).

3) Make the file system writable. Type: mount -o remount,rw /

4) Backup your images folder. Type: cp -R /usr/palm/sysmgr/images /usr/palm/sysmgr/imagesbackup

5) Send the image. Open WebOS Quick Install, click Tools -> Send File. Browse for the image file you just downloaded. The destination folder is /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/

6) Delete the borders. Type: rm /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/card-shadow-tile.png

7) Do a Luna restart

And there you have it Remember most of the core apps and some third party apps have custom splashscreens, so this will only work for the apps that don't have their own splash screens. You can choose to override the apps' custom splashscreens but it takes time.

This is what it should look like (the clock shows the old style):

To uninstall/reverse this hack/patch:

1) Open a command line

2) Make the file system writable. Type: mount -o remount,rw /

3) Restore your backup. Type: mv /usr/palm/sysmgr/imagesbackup /usr/palm/sysmgr/images

Remember all linux commands are CaSe SeNsiTiVe and must be typed precisely as above. Ideally you should copy my code and paste it into WebOS Quick Install's commandline.

Enjoy

Compatibility list:

Known to be Compatible:

4x4 Icons v3
    Device Menu Remix
    Hide Quick Launch Bar
    Reset to First Page
    Named Launcher Pages
    Launcher Autopopup
    Remove Icon Titles
    Enable add/delete pages
    Unhide Devmode Icon
    Faster card animations
    GestureClick context menu
    Wrap Pages

Known to be Incompatible:
    4x4 Icons v4 No Arrows Plus More
    Lite List Launcher
    Fully Transparant Launcher
    Remove Arrows & Fade Bar

Feel free to add your own experiences.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SqyArc; 04/26/2010 at 10:37 AM.
    0.o nice.
    looks pretty awesome, I be getting it on my phone asap. and sorry I can't help you with developing, it would turn into a big mess
    Nice work I'll be putting this on my phone when I get back home, then come back and complain when it doesn't work
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Nice work I'll be putting this on my phone when I get back home, then come back and complain when it doesn't work
    looks nice!
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Very nice, I hope someone picks up the stuff beneath the line the glass effect looks really good.
  8.    #8  
    Glad you like it! There will certainly be some other launcher patches that it's not compatible with (Lite Launcher Patch for sure) but I don't yet know which ones it will conflict with.

Trial and error is the only way
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    Oh come on, I was just kidding. I would've used an angry emoticon if I was serious
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Trial and error is the only way
    That's how I learned to modify my Pre.. It seemed to work out pretty well (besides the occasional Doctor when I really messed things up lol)
  11.    #11  
    Submitted to Preware
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Submitted to Preware
    Even better I'll be looking for it...
    It conflicted with Jason's launcher fade patch for me, which is also built into WOSQI.
    very cool
    please submit to preware, my laptop is dead :'(
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Wow--looks terrific! I like where you are going with it. Would consider adding a clear launch/wave background?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    It conflicted with Jason's launcher fade patch for me, which is also built into WOSQI.
    Yeah, the trouble is that most launcher patches try to edit the same files so they can't all stack

Quote Originally Posted by dump71 View Post
    Wow--looks terrific! I like where you are going with it. Would consider adding a clear launch/wave background?
    Actually I kinda think the default ribbon/wave fits with the dark glass theme quite well already - I wouldn't jump to edit it sorry!
  18.    #18  
    Oh, I should point out that this looks nicer in conjunction with Jason's Hide Quick Launch Bar in Launcher Only patch.
    woww does look more sexier with this patch thanks great work
  20.    #20  
    I am working on getting the device menu to work as in the picture above - if all goes well I might be able to finish this.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast