Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I was wondering if anyone had ideas for palm to extend the card metaphor?

one idea i would like to see is something like being able to put a card down on the table from my deck...

or pin it to the desktop/ background... while still being active...

kind might look like this:

so its static in place in the background... the other cards get shuffled across infront of it... etc.

what do you think?

is there a patch that already does this?
    That looks pretty cool, it would also be nice to be able to arrange the cards in a tiled format when they are at the smaller size, so you could see more of them on the screen (instead of having to scroll right/left).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I agree with both idea's...

+1
    +1
    I was thinking the exact same thing before I went to sleep last night
    Quote Originally Posted by chacalau View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had ideas for palm to extend the card metaphor?

one idea i would like to see is something like being able to put a card down on the table from my deck...

or pin it to the desktop/ background... while still being active...

kind might look like this:

so its static in place in the background... the other cards get shuffled across infront of it... etc.

what do you think?

is there a patch that already does this?
    That's probably the first card enhancement idea I've seen here that actually makes sense. Nice.
    : (){:|:&};:
    It would be nice to duplicate the available rows for cards.. like when minimized, have space/slots for additional cards above and below the stock row.. that would make it more organized than just slinging them all over the screen. 3 varying rows, with any amounts of cards in each.
    I like it! I do have some ideas too. When a card is docked on the "desktop" (for lack of a better word), it would shrink down to a certain size. Lets call this "minimized". A dev could have a special "minimized" scene in his app that could be used to display specific info. For example, a weather app's minimized scene could just show the temperature and an image of the current condition (sunny, rain, etc). It would kinda work like widgets..

The more I think about it though, the more complicated it gets. This idea sounds like too much for a patch
    I think these ideas are all great, the card system is great atm but these changes could really set the system on fire, I'd love it. Think a recomendation should be made to palm.
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +1 on all of them. Now getting them implemented is another thing...
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    oh i love the 'minimised/docked scene' idea for devs to include in the app!

however, i think even without that bit, the idea of pinning cards to the background, laying them out like tiles, is a natural extension of the OS metaphor and shouldn't take too much for palm to enable...

i'd be surprised if they haven't thought of this already...

they watch this forum, right?
    I like this idea a lot.

I would like to see the ability to "toss" a card onto the desktop, where it would continue to run and display what it does when card view is initiated now. It would remain statically located on the desktop. Only cards not tossed onto the desktop would be the ones you would flick through in card view.

Maybe tapping and holding a card in card view (the same procedure used to rearrange cards in card view) could be used to toss the card to the desktop, by dragging the card down into the bottom third of the screen.

It would also be nice to have these tossed cards intelligently positioned on the desktop according to some kind of grid, but with the ability for the user to move them around as he sees fit, even disregard the grid and overlap cards perhaps.

Of course, this would require the ability to view and manipulate the cards on the desktop. I have previously discussed an idea for this. I called this mode "clear view", and it is discussed here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...rd+alternative

Combining these two concepts would be awesome.
    You could use a 'swipe down' movement to send a card to the desktop. Swipe up throws the card away, but Swipe Down doesn't do anything yet.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    nice :-)
    Hey, very nice idea! I don't know if this can be done with a patch or not, and I also don't know if the hardware is strong enough to handle all that - but future devices should be able to do such things easily.

Good stuff.
    I just want to bump this because its a great idea. Now we have to figure out how to get it done.