Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All right so i read around a few web sites even the forums here and can't figure out what the problem is. Alright so i have a sprint pre running at 800mhz with Mobile Hot Spot installed as well. I'v had the iPad since it was released.

So first i tried to see if maybe it was the pre so i used my laptop to test the pre's MHS wifi connection and I got 1.3 Mb down and 600 kb up. But when i use MHS with my ipad i notice that i only get up to 150kb down at most and 400kb up. So then i decided to see if maybe the iPad was the problem, so i connected it to my home router and notice that i got around 3 Mb down, you know basic broadband speed.

So it appears to me that the only time the ipad has a slow connection is when it is connected to my pre. But i really dont think its the pre because i get way faster speeds with my laptop off my pre. Im stumped and dont really know what the problem is. And its starting to ti ck me off because when im out because i cant go on youtube or any complex site because of how long everything takes to load.

Does anyone know how to fix this, because i know its happening with a lot of pre users. Please let me know if you guys got anything cause im just stumped

Much appreciated.
    Read this article from PC Mag reviewing Sprint's Broadband service which is going to be true of Verizon also...

Sprint Mobile Broadband (EV-DO) - Full Review - Reviews by PC Magazine

From the way it read to me, your speed is average.

3.    #3  
    sorry if there was a missunderstanding but i get fast speeds when i connect my pre's wifi to my laptop, its only when i try to use my pre's mobile hotspot for my ipad that i get drastically slow speeds.
    np...It's my fault for trying to do too many things at one time. *

Your OP does make sense after rereading it and seeing which speeds belonged to which connection.

5.    #5  
    have you experienced anything like this? or do you know of a solution maybe?
    sounds like the work of Steve Jobs, trying to restrict other phones on taking with the ipad lol
    Your pre is allergic to apples
    does you phone have fast web when not connected?
  9.    #9  
    thats what im guessing too. just wish there was a way around it, i was reading somewhere thatthat ipad as wifi connection problems. something about "pings"
    Quote Originally Posted by jred7o7 View Post
    sorry if there was a missunderstanding but i get fast speeds when i connect my pre's wifi to my laptop, its only when i try to use my pre's mobile hotspot for my ipad that i get drastically slow speeds.
    Unfortunately, my iPad experience is nonexistent...The only thing I've ever connected to my Pre is my laptop without any issues...My Apple related networking experience has been problematic at times but nothing to bring anymore value to this conversation.

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    does you phone have fast web when not connected?
    wait what do you mean? like is the pre fast when mobile hotspot isnt on? then i would say yea, but i think its the ipad cause when i use mobile hot spot with my laptop i get the same speeds when im browing through the pre. so i dont really know what the deal is.
    As a equal PC and Mac user.
    Apple products are notoriously finicky about their wifi connections.
    There is stuff all over the web about wifi issues the ipad is having.
  13.    #13  
    oh i have something to add that you guys may think is interesting, the latop i used to test this was a 2009 macbook pro so yea...i dont know whats up cause the speeds were great on the macbook, and as soon as i tethered with the ipad speeds just fell; like they DIED.
    I get the same speeds using MHS through Verizon on my MB and my iPad. Also the same speed when browsing on my Pre. This is about 300 to 600Mbs download and about the same on upload. Of course I have a slower network and don't get the higher speeds. On my home router the MB and ipad both get about 14Mbs download speeds. Just because the ipad and MB have wifi capabilities, does not mean they will get the same download speeds. Routers are all different and mobile phones turned into wifi hot spots are notoriously finicky with different devices attached. I bet if you tried an ipod speed test through MHS it would be similar to your ipad.
    Last edited by wxman2003; 04/20/2010 at 01:02 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    As a equal PC and Mac user.
    Apple products are notoriously finicky about their wifi connections.
    There is stuff all over the web about wifi issues the ipad is having.
    yea i know, i read a majority of them, and this sucks. i mean i read a couple of blogs before i bought the ipad that "you can save a bunch of money if you have a palm pre, and just get the wifi model" well yea it sucks badly, i was just wondering if there was a remedy, to this catastrophe
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    I get the same speeds using MHS through Verizon on my MB and my iPad.
    then im guessing that its the ipad then because i read that there was a similar issue like this affecting the ipod touch a like last year. Like it had connection issues with certain routers but apple sent out an update to resolve it. I hope this happens with the iPad as well.
    Go to this link. You may be able to resolve some of your wifi issues.Lots of discussion.
    Apple - Support - Discussions - Wi-Fi
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    Go to this link. You may be able to resolve some of your wifi issues.Lots of discussion.
    Apple - Support - Discussions - Wi-Fi
    thanks for he advice but i cant find anything pre related
    try asking this in the iphone blog haha
  20.    #20  
    man thats a good one haha but, i dont know ive never been in or conversed with the appl eforum people so i dont know its just frusterating i guess.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast