Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have an iPad and I've been tethering it to my Pre using myTether. In general, the iPad speeds and signal strength is just weak. This is supposedly caused by the aluminum casing on the back, which blocks the wifi signal (which is why the Apple logo is made out of plastic).

My home router signal strength is a bar or two lower than my MacBooks at the same location and the speeds are somewhat slower. Pre, myTether speeds are "bearable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by jred7o7 View Post
    thanks for he advice but i cant find anything pre related
    The forum does give tips on adjusting settings on the ipad to make the wifi connection better. One suggestion is to change http proxy from (default) off to Auto on the ipad. Another is to turn notification off on ipad. Another is to change to static ip address on ipad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jason2851 View Post
    I have an iPad and I've been tethering it to my Pre using myTether. In general, the iPad speeds and signal strength is just weak. This is supposedly caused by the aluminum casing on the back, which blocks the wifi signal (which is why the Apple logo is made out of plastic).

My home router signal strength is a bar or two lower than my MacBooks at the same location and the speeds are somewhat slower. Pre, myTether speeds are "bearable..."
    I get full bars on my ipad throughout my house. And thats with a rubber case on the ipad. So it's not a weak signal caused by the aluminum casing. If you have a b/g/n router, change it to g only. If you have dual band 2.4 Mhz and 5, give each a unique SSID. There appears to be multiple problems with the wifi on some of them. I believe most are software related such as trouble with some n routers, or with notifications with some of the apps, and problems with FIOS.
  4.    #24  
    how would you change the static ip address? cause i mean on the ipad when i tap the static ip thing it just pops up with blank fields. like do i just leave it blank? or do i fill in the blanks?
    how would you change the static ip address? cause i mean on the ipad when i tap the static ip thing it just pops up with blank fields. like do i just leave it blank? or do i fill in the blanks?
    Just fill it in with the exact same numbers as the auto settings. of course it will now be fixed to only that router, and you will have to delete and go back to auto if you use a different router.
  6.    #26  
    alright will do it now, btw wxman2003 do you have MHS on your pre working with your ipad?
    alright will do it now, btw wxman2003 do you have MHS on your pre working with your ipad?
    MHS does work with my ipad. I only get around 300 to 600 Mbs download and that is with all my devices.
  8.    #28  
    dang so you had no issues at all with your mobile hotspot? i mean in use with the ipad that is . i did the static and web browsing is okay but youtube is awful. Have you tried youtube using MHS, let me know please thanks!
    dang so you had no issues at all with your mobile hotspot? i mean in use with the ipad that is . i did the static and web browsing is okay but youtube is awful. Have you tried youtube using MHS, let me know please thanks!
    Youtube is slow on all my devices connected through MHS. It's even slow on my Pre, depending on my signal. Also iPad can't display flash material, only html5. So that will also slow down the iPad.
  10.    #30  
    alright thanks for the advice. I've done everything you said but haven't really seen a speed boost so I guess all I can do is hope for the best thanks anyways
    I decided to do a little testing around town using MHS and my iPad. At my house 300 to 500 Kbs max. Travelled downtown to a park that I know gets full strength on Verizon. Consistently got download speeds on my ipad via MHS of 1.2 to 1.4Mbs with some spikes to 1.6Mbs. Quite satisfied with the outcome.
    i have sprint pre and mytether/mobil hotspot basically doesnt work with the ipad....it works for about 2 seconds at really low speeds then it quits working.

i took the ipad into sprint store to try the overdrive with it and averaged 6.9mbps.

There is something about the mobil hotspot driver that doesnt get along with the ipad.
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Yes, there is clearly some issue with using MT & Ipads or Ipods. I've been working with Apple's support on it for the last two weeks & they are not very helpful. MT works flawlessly with my MacBook Pro, PS3, etc. Able to stream Netflix and have an overall useable connection. There is some issue with the wifi adapters that Apple uses I have a feeling, that don't interact well with MT...

If you try streaming netflix off the iPad, you can clearly see the graph shows data being limited to very low amounts. When being used with anything else, the device is able to pull the full amount of data & the graph spikes. I am hoping that Apple releases some kind of fix for this soon...

If anyone has gotten this working well, please advise!

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I was having problems with my iPad connecting and disconnecting from my Pre Plus (which was super annoying since I would hear an alert sound each time) Today before I headed to the Apple store to show them what was wrong, I told the iPad to forget the hotspot on my Pre, created a new one and when I was at the Apple store trying to demonstrate the problem,it worked perfectly! LOL Now I'm home and it's still working well. It's probably not related, but when I got home I also ran the WebOS repair Utility and it did find and fix a bad file. Also, I rebooted the PrePlus and iPad. I'm running at 800Mhz with Uber-Kernel and Govnah.

PS I'm getting about 500 down and 400 up which is pretty slow, but I'm in the sticks. I'm just so glad to not have to listen to the connect/disconnect alerts!
    Last edited by PreMium; 05/15/2010 at 01:08 AM.
    I'm surprised still no solution for ungodly slow connection on the ipad with the hotspot. I'm still paying for my verizon mifi until i can get this resolved.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12