Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeckert21 View Post
    Hey' Could you also raise the lower bar just slightly to just ubove the icons at the bottom, for those of us who have forward, back, and bookmark icons. Right now it is behind some of them. Thanks
    I could, but it will be hidden when you are downloading a file. But who does that anyways?
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    I could, but it will be hidden when you are downloading a file. But who does that anyways?
    That wouldn't be very often would it? What do you think of the idea?
    Trouble is, moving the bar up would make it look weird for people that don't use the other patches.

I guess you can't please everybody all of the time
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Trouble is, moving the bar up would make it look weird for people that don't use the other patches.

I guess you can't please everybody all of the time
    AGREED. Horizontal scrooll is waste of time for dev. Why not concentrate on perfecting vertical
    I hope some of you realize that nothing is really stopping you from doing what others have done and opening the .patch file in notepad, and personalizing it to your own tastes.

If you're smart enough to come this far with the phone, I'm positive it won't take you long to figure out how to tweak it to your liking.

That's sort of why I hope the scrolling features I've heard about come in a new patch instead of packaged with this one. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    I hope some of you realize that nothing is really stopping you from doing what others have done and opening the .patch file in notepad, and personalizing it to your own tastes.

If you're smart enough to come this far with the phone, I'm positive it won't take you long to figure out how to tweak it to your liking.

That's sort of why I hope the scrolling features I've heard about come in a new patch instead of packaged with this one. :-)
    I must admit I didn't realise it would be as easy as opening it in notepad and changing the code. I sort of assumed the .patch file would need to be unpackaged and then the source code changed and then repackaged somehow.

Knowing this helps a lot and should take some pressure off the dev to try to suit everyone's needs.
    Here are the settings I've chosen to use

- Horizontal Bar disabled (didn't really need it)
    - Slightly wider scrollbar
    - White scrubber is taller so easier to see
    - Scrollbar is shorter and centred vertically
    - Scrollbar disappears immediately but only after scrolling has stopped (eg. flick scrolling)
    - Here is the patch using my own config - ALL credit for the code in this patch goes to TIWizard

Last edited by SqyArc; 04/17/2010 at 05:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Here are the settings I've chosen to use

- Horizontal Bar disabled (didn't really need it)
    - Slightly wider scrollbar
    - White scrubber is taller so easier to see
    - Scrollbar is shorter and centred vertically
    - Scrollbar disappears immediately but only after scrolling has stopped (eg. flick scrolling)
    - Here is the patch using my own config - ALL credit for the code in this patch goes to TIWizard

You are correct; slightly wider scrollbar (4px) looks better. But I think the length white scrubber needs to be inversely proportional to the size of the page. Also a three stage fade within say 250ms will be nice.

At the risk of annoying TIWizard, how do I

* Make the scrollbar wider? This is easy. In the <div> section, replace 2px by 4px
    * make the length of the white scrubber inversely proportional to the length of the page? I can calculate the length of the scrubber like (needs tweaking, I am sure, to replace 10 by something else)
    + var lengthscrubber = Math.round(10/(mHeight));
    But can I use this variable in the div section?

* Scrollbar Fading: I am not sure about this. The code of the timer is clearly visible. How do I change the clear to a fade first and then to a clear? I tried :
    + window.clearTimeout(this.scrollbarTimer);
    + var scrollerFade = function(){
    + this.controller.get('scrollbarbg').setOpacity(0.4);
    + this.controller.get('scrollbarhbg').setOpacity(0.4);
    + };
    + var scrollerHide = function(){
    + this.controller.get('scrollbarbg').setOpacity(0.0);
    + this.controller.get('scrollbarhbg').setOpacity(0.0);
    + };
    + window.setTimeout(scrollerFade.bind(this),125);
    + this.scrollbarTimer = window.setTimeout(scrollerHide.bind(this),250);

But this fades out repeatedly, not just once at the end of scrolling.

* I would like the trigger event to show the scrollbar to include a touch event in addition to the scrolling event. How can I do that?

* How can I change the edges to be slightly curved rather than rectangular?

Finally, is all this tweaking going to be expensive for the battery? Especially fading?
    Last edited by veerar; 04/17/2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: edited the final Q; added Q for rectangular
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Hello,

I played around with TIWizard's code to try and get fading into the patch. I have one implementation that fades the scrollbar through 3 stages. ie., it decreases the intensity in 3 levels before the scrollbar disappears.

However, the implementation might be very expensive (4 timers are running right now). It will be nice if someone can give me hints to make this a more elegant and efficient implementation.

I removed the horizontal scrollbar since it was making things complicated. If we can settle on a nice implementation for the vertical scrollbar, the horizontal is not a big deal to add.

Here are some more features that will be great to have but don't know how to implement them (hints and advice welcome):

- make the length of the white scrubber inversely proportional to the length of the page
    - trigger event to show the scrollbar includes a touch event in addition to the scrolling event
    - change the edges to be slightly curved (rather than rectangular)
    - lastly, TIWizard is probably working on this already: scrollable scroll bars ie., ability to scroll by dragging the scrollbars.

Thanks,
    veerar.

PS. Disclaimer: //THIS PATCH WAS DEVELOPED ENTIRELY BY TIWIZARD.
    //This is simply a modification of HIS CODE.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  10.    #70  
    Very cool to see what everyone else has done

It seems as if you are trying to emulate an actual fade, which you can do by using some sort of animation library or even fading the scrollbar in a loop inside of the event that the timer fires. The loop would probably be a little bit fast and more efficient (timers aren't created and destroyed repeatedly), but I don't know if anyone would notice a difference between the two.

As for making the vertical scrollbar representative of the size of the page, that is on my todo list. I will try and get something working soon.

Rounded edges require images (corner radius didn't work last time I checked), so it doesn't really work in a .patch file.

For my next version:
    Remove horizontal scrollbar (use older versions if you want the horizontal scrollbar)
    4px wide and 10px wide versions
    Size proportional to length of page

For future versions:
    Actual scrolling
    Curved edges? (possibly using the IPK patch format...)
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Thanks for mentioning corner radius. I tried "-webkit-border-radius: 2px" and also "border-radius: 2px 2px 2px 2px;". Both of them work!

Unfortunately, these radius based edges are messing up the Fullscreen Mode Browser patch (so I am not attaching the patch with this post). What happens is after a page finishes loading, you scroll down a bit, and then scroll back all the way to the top, then the full screen mode is lost on the page. Very annoying behavior.

Can you look into it? Or shall I ask the Fullscreen Mode Browser author?

Thanks again! This is a wonderful patch !
    Last edited by veerar; 04/19/2010 at 02:30 AM. Reason: explained why patch was not attached
    I have modified Sqyarc's version of the patch slightly, primarily moved the scrollbar closer to the edge of the screen and increased the height of the scrollbar since I use Fritos1406's hide icons in browser patch. I was wondering, what would I need to change in order to move the scrollbar to the left side of the screen instead of on the right? Would I change where it says "right" on the following line to "left" or is it more involved than that?

+<div id='scrollbarbg' style='position: fixed; z-index: 999; background-color: #2e2e2e; width: 5px; height: 90%; top: 5%; right: 8px; opacity: 0.0'>

My knowledge of Linux commands is slim to none, so any help is appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdonehew View Post
    I was wondering, what would I need to change in order to move the scrollbar to the left side of the screen instead of on the right? Would I change where it says "right" on the following line to "left" or is it more involved than that?
    I was wondering why you would want to move scrollbar to the left. Thats interesting, because I was thinking we need a patch to move the reload icon to the left or simply align all icons to the left so that scrollbar does not have to be so short. I just looks weird hovering above that icon. For those of us who like the icons that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I was wondering why you would want to move scrollbar to the left. Thats interesting, because I was thinking we need a patch to move the reload icon to the left or simply align all icons to the left so that scrollbar does not have to be so short. I just looks weird hovering above that icon. For those of us who like the icons that is.
    I want to move the scrollbar to the left because I always hold my phone with my left hand and scroll with my right index finger. So when I'm scrolling, my finger is partially covering the scrollbar, which defeats the purpose of having the scrollbar. So, I want to take advantage of the unobstructed real estate on the left side of the screen.

I do like your idea of moving the reload icon, for those that don't use the hide icon patch. With not having this icon in the way, I increased the height of the scrollbar to be the entire length of the screen and I moved the scrollbar all the way against the right side of the screen. IMO it looks alot cleaner this way, almost looks like it's a built-in feature of the browser.
    I want to move the scrollbar to the left because I always hold my phone with my left hand and scroll with my right index finger. So when I'm scrolling, my finger is partially covering the scrollbar, which defeats the purpose of having the scrollbar. So, I want to take advantage of the unobstructed real estate on the left side of the screen.

I do like your idea of moving the reload icon, for those that don't use the hide icon patch. With not having this icon in the way, I increased the height of the scrollbar to be the entire length of the screen and I moved the scrollbar all the way against the right side of the screen. IMO it looks alot cleaner this way, almost looks like it's a built-in feature of the browser.
    so you moved the load icon and modified the scroll bar in one patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    so you moved the load icon and modified the scroll bar in one patch?
    No, sorry my last post wasn't clear. I don't have the load icon due to I use Fritos1406's hide buttons patch and full screen browser patch. I was just agreeing with you that the scrollbar looks alot better when the load icon isn't on the right side (or isn't there at all in my case) and the scrollbar is the full length of the screen.

Attached is what my scrollbar currently looks like. I plan on moving the scrollbar even closer to the right side of the screen, probably change the spacing value from the right edge from 8 px to either 2 px, 1 px, or 0 px depending on how it looks. I also plan on changing the height so it literally is the entire full length of the screen. I would have done this already; however, like I said before, my ultimate goal is to have the scrollbar be on the left side of the screen. So I was just going to do all these changes at once after I figure out (actually, more likely after someone explains to me) how to move it to the left side...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Would I change where it says "right" on the following line to "left" or is it more involved than that?

+<div id='scrollbarbg' style='position: fixed; z-index: 999; background-color: #2e2e2e; width: 5px; height: 90%; top: 5%; right: 8px; opacity: 0.0'>
    Yes...You can simply change the "right" to "left".

Does this only work in the Browser? Would be nice to have for some others as well (like the app catalog).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    @TIWizard

I'm curious...Do you think this would ever move out of the moved function?

I only ask because I could update the Browser Multi Mod, so it's compatible with activating the scrollbar when using the pgup, pgdn, & line down keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks again for the cool patch!

Thanks for the patch. Is it in preware yet?