View Poll Results: How do you like the glow to pulse?

Voters
405. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regular speed.

151 37.28%
  • Faster.

202 49.88%
  • No glow at all.

52 12.84%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Xanthinealkaloid is it in the feed yet?
    You could always open Preware and find out yourself.

But yes these are in the feed.
  2.    #242  
    btw...The 1.4.0 versions have now been submitted for the Preware feed.

I found that using this patch does make the animations run much faster, such as loading of the launcher. It does seem to really slow the ability of the apps to load all together. For example, when I load the phone app without the patch on the second load the phone app loads without a splash screen. With the patch applied no matter how many times in a row I try and load the app it takes about 2 to 3 seconds to load.
    I have to report the same thing actually - I removed the patch accidentally today and I realized that my apps loaded faster (in terms of over all seconds from click to full screen). I don't know if any of you saw my but it featured apps (specifically the browser and the camera) loading without any splashscreen whatsoever - I noticed that with this patch installed I always see the splashscreen for a second or two before it loads. Without the patch, it loads like it does in the video.

It's strange behaviour and I definitely cannot explain it. Suffice to say that I think on balance I am enjoying my Pre more without this patch (sorry xan, I mean no offense at all to you and your excellent patching ability).

However, the animations really crawl without this patch - it's amazing what a difference it makes.

Cheers
    SqyArc
    @sqyarc take another look at the patch. I just did again. I think the reason it seems that the app is loading slower is that the card pops up so quick so there is splash screen. If you count off how long it takes from the time you tap the app to the time the app is ready to use its the same. I actually did get the phone app to load without a splash screen the second time even using the patch. At least thats my unscientific analysis.

I would like to know what other people think about if its taking longer or less time to load the app to completion? I think we all agree that the card pops up insanely fast with the patch.
    Hmm you may be right about that. Let me get my stopwatch & I'll report back in a few mins
    I have to say mine was slower, I'm at 800 and the would get up to 3 blinks, normal speed to launch. Seemed slower, removed, and swear my apps launch faster, not waiting to count blinks. Mine was taking 3 blinks to launch, trying to count slow (not even seconds), it doesn't take 2 without the app, so from such a scientific approach, I'm choosing not to use. However, I really do appreciate the work you have done, and it was cooler to look at
    than a blank, waiting screen.
    @nmoreman don't count the number of blinks but the time from touch the app icon to the time you can use the app. I think you made the same mistake I did. The apps load in the same amount of time as before but the card itself loads up much faster.
    Ok I have done some testing with a stop watch. The results really surprised me.

I launched the browser 5 times from a fresh reboot & then took the average from my results.

WITHOUT the patch:
    0:1:91
    0:1:96
    0:1:87
    0:1:91
    0:1:90

Average time: 1 second, 91 milliseconds

WITH the patch:
    0:1:64
    0:1:96
    0:1:89
    0:1:59
    0:1:78

Average time: 1 second, 77 milliseconds

So, far from being slower it seems that this patch actually speeds up the load time. If anyone else would like to post some test results I'd be interested to see.

My theory is that because the card animates slower without the patch, it appears to be "doing something" while the patch makes the animation so fast that the user notices the card flashing for longer (there is literally more time spent looking at the card in stasis) but the overall loading time is not affected - but actually appears reduced.

Interesting! Xan: please accept my apologies
    @Sqyarc thanks for the info.

Also @Xan thanks for the great patch.
  11.    #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I found that using this patch does make the animations run much faster, such as loading of the launcher. It does seem to really slow the ability of the apps to load all together. For example, when I load the phone app without the patch on the second load the phone app loads without a splash screen. With the patch applied no matter how many times in a row I try and load the app it takes about 2 to 3 seconds to load.
    As far as the Phone app is concerned, I'm fairly sure how it loads is related to whatever the current state of the Telephony Listener happens to be, so what you're describing could be considered normal...It happens to be one of the Palm apps which is always running in the background, so it wouldn't always need the splash screen.

My experience has been when you let it load all the way and stay for just a moment then swipe it away...The next time you load the app it should pop up from the bottom of the screen.

BTW...The loading of any app within the timeframe, i.e. milliseconds, we would be looking at is going to vary considerably within that context based on the current state of the system.

12.    #252  
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    BTW...The loading of any app within the timeframe, i.e. milliseconds, we would be looking at is going to vary considerably within that context based on the current state of the system.

OK...Here's the exact duration of the loading pulse just for reference:

Regular is @ 900ms.
    Express is @ 450ms.
    Hyper is @ 200ms.

Also, please consider this is not meant so much to be a performance patch as an aesthetic patch.

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Very cool patch and outstanding work. It does make the phone feel quicker with the app loading, even if it is cosmetic, it is a great improvement.
    From my experience, nothing loads slower with this patch. The launcher is instantaneous, the browser and all my apps appear to load quicker with this patch. The phone app for me is fast as ever, maybe even faster.
    If your system is clean and unincumbered, this patch will be a welcome improvement. Thanks to xan
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Has anyone found that the patch works better w/ 1.4 vs. 1.4.1.1? It seems that way to me. Now, I don't have measurements to verify - and it could just be my imagination. But I'm feeling like this patch doesn't work as well/fast for me in my upgraded Verizon WebOS than it was under the 1.4.0 vers.

Whadaya think?
    hyper is realy cool!! thx
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    no it actually makes the 800mhz patch I can't even express it you just need to try it. xanthinealkaloid settings are nice but I wanted to experiment so I lowered them even more and you talk about jet fast.
    I Have a question. i have Faster card animation Hyper version, but is there any way to increase that speed even more? both glowing and animations? Please help me where should i change some settins if it is possible! Thank you everyone! Web OS is great!
  18.    #258  
    Quote Originally Posted by fantomaas View Post
    I Have a question. i have Faster card animation Hyper version, but is there any way to increase that speed even more? both glowing and animations? Please help me where should i change some settins if it is possible! Thank you everyone! Web OS is great!
    No prob...Please see post #134 for most current patch.

Use a text editor like,
    .:: NOTEPAD++ ::., to open and modify the patch.

You can change the numeric values on the "+" lines to whatever you would like.

hi guys! What about to make animation and glowing even faster? Is that possible? Extreme hyper version? Would be nice!
  20.    #260  
    Quote Originally Posted by fantomaas View Post
    hi guys! What about to make animation and glowing even faster? Is that possible? Extreme hyper version? Would be nice!
    All you need to do is get the patch file, as stated above, and lower the values more, but I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll be able to see...It would be with trying though if you want to.