Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54
  1. #21  
    Why is this one completely ignored? I don't understand. This patch is so useful to many people.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    Why is this one completely ignored? I don't understand. This patch is so useful to many people.
    not completely...

    .
  3. #23  
    not completely useful, or ignored?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    not completely useful, or ignored?
    Sorry...not completely ignored.

    Unfortunately, my time has been limited the past few weeks, but this idea is in my top 5 things I'd like to execute.

    .
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    Sorry...not completely ignored.

    Unfortunately, my time has been limited the past few weeks, but this idea is in my top 5 things I'd like to execute.

    .
    cool now this makes my day. So what is your plan on executing patch
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    cool now this makes my day. So what is your plan on executing patch
    I'm think of a fairly straightforward implementation similar to the header found in the Calendar app or the chatview of the Messaging app.

    .
  7. #27  
    bump
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    I would like to separate my co-workers, customers, family and friends.
    What you want is what "categories" were on PalmOS devices such as Treo and Centro. I don't agree with Palm leaving that out. Essentially, Synergy is designed so that each social media account it treated like a category. Keep all your friends in Face Book. Keep all your family in Yahoo, sync all your business contacts to gMail... and link them in the contact app if they are in more than one place. Pretty cool, once you start to play with it.

    They also made Universal Search so powerful that categories and filters don't really help in the same way... if you want to find John smith, just type "JSJSJS&$quot$; $on$ $the$ $keyboard$ ($in$ $cardview$) $and$ $you$ $will$ $see$ $John$ $Smith$ $as$ $the$ $top$ $choice$. $This$ $makes$ $one$-$handed$ $phone$ $operation$ $a$ $breeze$ ($flip$ $thumb$ $to$ $open$, $thumb$ $to$ $type$ $JS$, $thumb$ $to$ $tap$ $contact$ $and$ $cause$ $the$ $phone$ $to$ $dial$...) $A$ $lot$ $of$ $people$ $don$'$t$ $realize$ $that$, $and$ $launch$ $the$ $contacts$ $app$ $before$ $starting$ $to$ $type$, $like$ $we$ $did$ $on$ $the$ $Treo$/$Centro$. $Even$ $though$ $I$ $really$ $want$ $categories$ $for$ $other$ $reasons$ ($and$ $for$ $more$ $than$ $just$ $contacts$...) $I$ $think$ $that$ $Universal$ $search$ $is$ $something$ $you$ $really$ $want$ $to$ $spend$ $time$ $with$. $Once$ $you$ $get$ $the$ $hang$ $of$ $it$, $you$ $will$ $be$ $trying$ $to$ $do$ $things$ $that$ $way$ $on$ $other$ $people$'$s$ $phones$. $You$ $will$ $find$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $need$ $to$ $ever$ $launch$ $the$ $contact$ $app$ ($which$ $loads$ $too$ $slow$ $anyway$...)

    As a long-time Palm user, I have 4,000 contacts organized and categorized. So, I'm legendary around here in my opposition to syncing with any of those services, because everything I want on my phone is well organized and categorized in Outlook. That's why I bit the bullet for a 3rd part app (Pocket Mirror) to let me continue to sync with Outlook and eschew the cloud services. I don't want them indexing and having access to my info anyway (Google is notorious for doing stupid things with other people's data - just look at all the issues around Google Buzz).

    Anyway, I'm hoping a homebrew dev will jump in and tell us whether this is even possible. My bet is that it isn't possible in the contacts app unless Palm does it. I would expect that opening the API needed to do that would have some serious security implications.

    There is a homebrew patch that gives you some user-definable fields that you could populate that way, but Palm isn't supporting them and it could all break if they changed something else in the contacts app.

    Unless Palm decides to add that sort of thing, I think it will only be possible in a third party contacts app. There were lots of them for PalmOS, and a few are starting to pop up in the app catalog.

    I'll end this lengthy post with a thought. What are you wanting to search for? Most people call the same 5 or 10 numbers most of the time. There are ways to create direct links to each one on a launcher page. There are numerous dialer apps that let you organize your most-called numbers, dial by touching their picture, etc. etc. You can also set them up as speed dial numbers.

    The only time I really have to hunt for a number is for a seldom called person, or when I'm not exactly sure who I want to call at a particular company. In that case, I just start typing their company name. I can type APP and have all the apple employees listed in less than a second. It's pretty easy to scroll through them, and typing a few extra letter will narrow the list. Sometimes when you start typing it will look like gibberish or even start out as numbers, but it magically figures out what you are looking for withing a few key taps. Almost like it's reading your mind...

    Force yourself to use universal search for everything (even launching apps!) for a few days and see if you don't start to love doing it that way... most people do.

    I'm checking with a developer to find out if this request is even possible, just to set expectations since this is such a common request from so many of us!

    Please post back your experience for the benefit of everyone else that wants this feature...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/27/2010 at 03:50 PM.
  9. #29  
    I would love to see this as well with the built-in contact app, with the option to turn each one off in the all contacts view like you can with the calendar. I would pay for this functionality as well...consider $10 added to the pot from me...

    and Cantaffordit...thanks for the Universal search tip of searching by initials!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    What you want is what "categories" were on PalmOS devices such as Treo and Centro. I don't agree with Palm leaving that out. Essentially, Synergy is designed so that each social media account it treated like a category. Keep all your friends in Face Book. Keep all your family in Yahoo, sync all your business contacts to gMail... and link them in the contact app if they are in more than one place. Pretty cool, once you start to play with it.

    They also made Universal Search so powerful that categories and filters don't really help in the same way... if you want to find John smith, just type "JSJSJS&$quot$; $on$ $the$ $keyboard$ ($in$ $cardview$) $and$ $you$ $will$ $see$ $John$ $Smith$ $as$ $the$ $top$ $choice$. $This$ $makes$ $one$-$handed$ $phone$ $operation$ $a$ $breeze$ ($flip$ $thumb$ $to$ $open$, $thumb$ $to$ $type$ $JS$, $thumb$ $to$ $tap$ $contact$ $and$ $cause$ $the$ $phone$ $to$ $dial$...) $A$ $lot$ $of$ $people$ $don$'$t$ $realize$ $that$, $and$ $launch$ $the$ $contacts$ $app$ $before$ $starting$ $to$ $type$, $like$ $we$ $did$ $on$ $the$ $Treo$/$Centro$. $Even$ $though$ $I$ $really$ $want$ $categories$ $for$ $other$ $reasons$ ($and$ $for$ $more$ $than$ $just$ $contacts$...) $I$ $think$ $that$ $Universal$ $search$ $is$ $something$ $you$ $really$ $want$ $to$ $spend$ $time$ $with$. $Once$ $you$ $get$ $the$ $hang$ $of$ $it$, $you$ $will$ $be$ $trying$ $to$ $do$ $things$ $that$ $way$ $on$ $other$ $people$'$s$ $phones$. $You$ $will$ $find$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $need$ $to$ $ever$ $launch$ $the$ $contact$ $app$ ($which$ $loads$ $too$ $slow$ $anyway$...)

    As a long-time Palm user, I have 4,000 contacts organized and categorized. So, I'm legendary around here in my opposition to syncing with any of those services, because everything I want on my phone is well organized and categorized in Outlook. That's why I bit the bullet for a 3rd part app (Pocket Mirror) to let me continue to sync with Outlook and eschew the cloud services. I don't want them indexing and having access to my info anyway (Google is notorious for doing stupid things with other people's data - just look at all the issues around Google Buzz).

    Anyway, I'm hoping a homebrew dev will jump in and tell us whether this is even possible. My bet is that it isn't possible in the contacts app unless Palm does it. I would expect that opening the API needed to do that would have some serious security implications.

    There is a homebrew patch that gives you some user-definable fields that you could populate that way, but Palm isn't supporting them and it could all break if they changed something else in the contacts app.

    Unless Palm decides to add that sort of thing, I think it will only be possible in a third party contacts app. There were lots of them for PalmOS, and a few are starting to pop up in the app catalog.

    I'll end this lengthy post with a thought. What are you wanting to search for? Most people call the same 5 or 10 numbers most of the time. There are ways to create direct links to each one on a launcher page. There are numerous dialer apps that let you organize your most-called numbers, dial by touching their picture, etc. etc. You can also set them up as speed dial numbers.

    The only time I really have to hunt for a number is for a seldom called person, or when I'm not exactly sure who I want to call at a particular company. In that case, I just start typing their company name. I can type APP and have all the apple employees listed in less than a second. It's pretty easy to scroll through them, and typing a few extra letter will narrow the list. Sometimes when you start typing it will look like gibberish or even start out as numbers, but it magically figures out what you are looking for withing a few key taps. Almost like it's reading your mind...

    Force yourself to use universal search for everything (even launching apps!) for a few days and see if you don't start to love doing it that way... most people do.

    I'm checking with a developer to find out if this request is even possible, just to set expectations since this is such a common request from so many of us!

    Please post back your experience for the benefit of everyone else that wants this feature...
    I understand where you are getting at, but I like to be organized with everything. It would be nice to separate the contacts so I don't have to see customers on the same list as family and friends. So if I see an unknown contact that I don't remember putting on there and it is in the customers category, then I will instantly remember who he is.
  11. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
       #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    What you want is what "categories" were on PalmOS devices such as Treo and Centro.
    What I want is just what I have requested in the opening post, I want to be able to separate contact sources. True, I ALSO want categories, but THIS thread is requesting an app to separate contact sources.

    A developer has PM'ed me with some questions, not sure if there is anything going on with this, but I sure hope so.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  12. #32  
    bump
  13. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
       #33  
    Developers, please participate in this discussion. Can this be done?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  14. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
       #34  
    bump
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  15. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
       #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    I'm think of a fairly straightforward implementation similar to the header found in the Calendar app or the chatview of the Messaging app.
    Exactly, thanks Josh, this would do it for sure.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  16. #36  
    bump. REALLY would like contacts to be categorized, glad to pay for the feature.
  17. #37  
    Super Contacts+ allows contacts to be put into separate buckets. I dont think it would work well for 100's of contacts. For my my frequent contacts of family, friends and works it does a nice job.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  18. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
       #38  
    Yes, I like Super Contacts, but thats not what I am asking for here, I simply want to segregate by source the various contact origins, to see contacts only from specific google accounts or the palm profile.

    Developers, PLEASE HELP.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  19. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
       #39  
    Don't make be beg!!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Don't make be beg!!
    I think you already are ...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions