Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I have a couple of quick questions I haven't been able to find a clean cut answer for, hopefully someone can help out. I am attempting to learn about patch creation and what not...and I will try using Jason's Unified Diff Creator program for patch creation. I am ok (still learning here too) with manually editing the file, I am just totally new to the patch creation and recognition aspect.

1. What is the best way to remove a patch once installed if I manually patched the device with WOSQI? Meaning no Preware submission, nothing official, just my own testing. I could just replace the original files with a new copy, correct? But is there another way such as WOSQI seeing the patch actually being in its listings and then uninstalling thru the app from the Installed Patches list?

2. Does the Unified Diff Creator in its current form create patches that are compatible with AUPT and the current Preware system?

Thanks in advance everyone.
    you don't have to use a pre. You could just use the emulator. Also you can remove patches using webos quick install.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoncorey View Post
    I have a couple of quick questions I haven't been able to find a clean cut answer for, hopefully someone can help out. I am attempting to learn about patch creation and what not...and I will try using Jason's Unified Diff Creator program for patch creation. I am ok (still learning here too) with manually editing the file, I am just totally new to the patch creation and recognition aspect.

1. What is the best way to remove a patch once installed if I manually patched the device with WOSQI? Meaning no Preware submission, nothing official, just my own testing. I could just replace the original files with a new copy, correct? But is there another way such as WOSQI seeing the patch actually being in its listings and then uninstalling thru the app from the Installed Patches list?

2. Does the Unified Diff Creator in its current form create patches that are compatible with AUPT and the current Preware system?

Thanks in advance everyone.
    So here's a quick rundown on things.

Standard patches are unified format diff files. You modify a stock palm file, plug the original and your modified file into Unified Diff Creator and voila, you have your patch file.

That essentially is the patch.

The best way to test the patch is in WebOS Quick Install. See http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...les-wosqi.html for exact details, but basically you install the .patch and you'd install any .ipk file.

Then, to uninstall said patch, would be just as easy; uninstall from WOSQI or via Preware, like any other package.

Oh, and WOSQI installs the .patch under the same AUPT system that the WebOS-Internals feed uses. So no worries there

Once a patch is all good and working, you may wish to make it opensource and put it on the feed, which can be done from dBsooner's webOS-Patches Web Portal
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    So here's a quick rundown on things.

Then, to uninstall said patch, would be just as easy; uninstall from WOSQI or via Preware, like any other package.

Once a patch is all good and working, you may wish to make it opensource and put it on the feed, which can be done from dBsooner's webOS-Patches Web Portal
    That is what I was missing. I knew about the other stuff, just wasn't sure if my test patch would show as a true "patch" in WOSQI or if I had to go through another step to make it viewable in the application(s)

Seems it is a mix. Not only will it show up right away on my PC within WOSQI but then if I choose to publish it I can use dBsooner's Portal to get it out to everyone.

Thanks Jason. You are the man!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    OK so I have the SDK up and running, I am using the Emulator and I have Preware installed on the Emulator and using WOSQI with it. I have attempted to install a patch with both Preware and WOSQI but both fail for the same reason. I installed the following on the Emulator:
    Diffstat
    FileMgr Service
    GNU Patch
    lsdiff
    Luna Manager
    Package Manager Service
    Preware
    SysToolsMgr Service

See screenshot.

Any ideas? Working with my own Pre is fine and I can apply patches and everything, (I have had the luxury of doing quite a few Dr.'s and have been running homebrew on my Pre since late summer.)

I am not sure if I missed something simple or what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images