Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I really like the idea of a "clear card" (i.e. the ability to see the wallpaper while still having apps running), but I don't like the current implementation of using a new app that is simply a clear card.

How about this for a patch idea (assuming it can be done as a patch)?

In order to view the wallpaper while having apps running (and thus achieving the same thing as a "clear card"), the user would:

1. First initiate card view
    2. Then swipe the centre card DOWN (the opposite of swiping the card up to terminate it)

This action will cause all cards to slide down out of the way, thus revealing the wallpaper and entering "clear view". This view will be visually equivalent to having no apps running at all -- the user will only see his wallpaper.

If the user wants to re-enter card view while in "clear view", he would:

1. Swipe up from the gesture area (the same gesture that currently either initiates card view from within an app, or displays the launcher if only the wallpaper is visible.)

If there are any apps running but currently hidden (i.e. in "clear view"), then this gesture will initiate card view, and all running cards will slide up from the bottom into the typical card view display.

If there are no apps running, then the launcher is displayed as per usual.

The great thing about this implementation is that the user only needs to learn one new thing, a new gesture from within card view that initiates "clear view" -- Slide Card Down. I feel that it fits well with the philosophy of the OS as a whole:

i.e.

-- When you are finished with an app, slide it off the top of the screen and get rid of it

-- When you aren't quite finished with an app, slide it off the bottom of the screen and hide it

Any takers???!!!
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    +1 like the idea and think it would be a near idea.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    i feel like this has been discussed before, but i am still a supporter of the idea.
    I like this idea, i was having problems with clearcard anyways. but this idea seams more natural and a no brainier on why palm should not put this on their next update by default
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    definitely like it. Simple and would get the job done.
    Like the Idea +1
  7.    #7  
    Any developers want to weigh in? Is this possible with a patch? Anyone want to give this a go?
    I'd love this... It should be made standard.. But I think we should also have a better way of viewing multiple apps.. Like when you have 15 cards open, it gets kinda measy...

on a side note, I'd like to have a recently used (but closed) app list like at the bottom like iphones upcoming "multitasking" Maybe instead of having an upwards arrow on the quick launcher that does the same thing as an upward swipe, we could have a sideway arrow that opens a list of recent closed apps.

(edit: maybe have it as an option like the "advance gesture".. I'm thinking the same for the swiping down.. Palm should beta test it, by putting it in the code, but making it require a patch like the led notifications)

also on a final note, I hope that in webos 1.5 or 2.0 or what ever palm decides to call it, it freezes other apps, or reduces the recources availeble for them when I have the phone app full screen. There's nothing worse than my phone app lagging...(hardly a problem with the 800mhz patch, but before it was a pain.)
    why don't you just take a screen shot of ur background(shift+sym+P) and open it in the photo app. Or better yet if you don't want the launcher or top bar just go to the wallpaper itself.
  10.    #10  
    why don't you just take a screen shot of ur background(shift+sym+P) and open it in the photo app. Or better yet if you don't want the launcher or top bar just go to the wallpaper itself.
    Well, I don't know if you are being serious, but that isn't the elegant solution I am looking for. Think of all the steps that would be required to launch a "picture" of my wallpaper. Then, it would only be a static picture. I am running Weather Window Lite which changes the wallpaper based on the weather and the time of day (although it doesn't quite seem to be working yet). There are other apps which automatically change the wallpaper as well, and if we could implement "clear view", I am sure the developers would find many more uses for the wallpaper real estate. Lastly, loading a "picture" of my wallpaper means running another app unnecessarily, using precious RAM.
    Last edited by Ubuntite; 04/09/2010 at 12:31 PM.
    I like the idea and appreciate that it remains consistent w/webOS philosophy. What about allowing the center button to call up all running cards when they are out of sight?

Coincidentally have you seen what happens currently with the swipe down motion in card view? It performs this strangely entertaining card "bounce" off the bottom of the screen which opens the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post

Coincidentally have you seen what happens currently with the swipe down motion in card view? It performs this strangely entertaining card "bounce" off the bottom of the screen which opens the card.
    that's only if you swipe far enough that you touch the gesture area.
    I have a feeling this request is not reasonable without palm getting involved. If you haven't noticed, there isn't one single patch that actually modifies anything to do with the cards. To me, the lack of card related patches means it's low level and the code is obscured, I could be wrong though.
  14.    #14  
    I would love to hear a dev chime in to confirm or deny your statement. I have wondered the same thing, but am assuming that patching the OS should be sufficient.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    the lack of card related patches means it's low level and the code is obscured
    Is this true? Anyone want to try to take this on?
    Clearcard is good enough for me.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    Clearcard is good enough for me.
    In a kludgy kinda way, clearcard does the trick, but what I am suggesting would be much more elegant. Also, implementing my suggestions would allow for additional functionality currently not available, such as using the wallpaper for such things as widgets:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-metaphor.html
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    You know swiping a card down already does something right? it brings the card back to full.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    You know swiping a card down already does something right? it brings the card back to full.
    Would you be upset to lose that functionality? Do you actually use that gesture as opposed to just tapping the card to bring it back from card view? Seems to me that no one would object to trade that gesture for something that brings new functionality to the OS.
    I have the non-demo clear card app, and I love it. I like to have my apps quickly available, but I also like to have my screen clutter free. If I wanted a bunch of widgets and junk, Id simply get a droid. If you havent tried clear card, it may be worth looking into. Some of the reviews for the app make it look bad because the downloader didnt know exactly what they were getting or expected a magical full featured app...for free.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast