Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Adds customizable signature to outgoing text messages.

Someone emailed me about this, so I threw this very simplistic patch together...

I'm posting it here just in case anyone else is dying to have a signature for their text messages, but it's not something that can be submitted for Preware...Installation will have to be done through WOSQI(which is how I ended up doing many of my patches anyway).

USAGE: Prior to installing, open the patch file in a text editor and change [SIGNATURE] to whatever text you would like, but you must leave the quotation marks.

Obviously, the next step is adding something to the preferences to edit and store the signature, but I don't have time right now...If anyone else wants to run with it, please do.

Please see post #74 for most current patch.

2010-03-30: Fix to support messages created in the chatview.
    2010-04-04: Added signature customization.
    2010-04-12: Added a greeting (which could be used for a delivery confirmation string).

Patch creation is something I do in my spare time for myself and the Precentral community.
    If you find value in my work, please take a moment to click the thanks button.
    Should you be inclined, a donation link is available in my signature, and a sincere thanks to those who have.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks for this patch! I missed this from my WinMo phone.
    Thanks for this patch. You are right the next step would be adding to preferences. I installed lclarkjr latest updates and they are integrated into the message and calendar preferences. Maybe asking him to assist would then allow people to change their signature on the fly. Great job!!

I notice the signature is only added on the initial message to and individual any reply to that chat thread doesn't add the message. You have to go to new message each time to add the signature to the outgoing message. A space also needs to be added after the first quotation mark so the signature is separate from the text message.
    Last edited by mamouton; 03/30/2010 at 06:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Thanks for this patch. You are right the next step would be adding to preferences. I installed lclarkjr latest updates and they are integrated into the message and calendar preferences. Maybe asking him to assist would then allow people to change their signature on the fly. Great job!!

I notice the signature is only added on the initial message to and individual any reply to that chat thread doesn't add the message. You have to go to new message each time to add the signature to the outgoing message. A space also needs to be added after the first quotation mark so the signature is separate from the text message.
    I think I made a post awhile back for this but didn't get a reply. Glad you guys are working on it now. So there's no way to get it to add the signature every text?
  5.    #5  
    I notice the signature is only added on the initial message to and individual any reply to that chat thread doesn't add the message. You have to go to new message each time to add the signature to the outgoing message. ...
    Duh!...I was in too much of a hurry...I should have add the same thing to the chatview...I posted a new patch file.

...A space also needs to be added after the first quotation mark so the signature is separate from the text message.
    I figured I'd leave this one up to personal preference...Some people may use a "..." instead of a space.

Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    Duh!...I was in too much of a hurry...I should have add the same thing to the chatview...I posted a new patch file.

I figured I'd leave this one up to personal preference...Some people may use a "..." instead of a space.

I tried the double quotes but it won't let you open the message app then.
  7.    #7  
    I tried the double quotes but it won't let you open the message app then.
    double quotes?

You may need to try again...I tried it successfully this morning, and I tried successfully once again now.

Please be sure you're only deleting the [SIGNATURE] part and replacing it with valid characters...It should work fine.

It does work fine. Loving it!! This are the steps I tried this morning. I wanted to add quotes to my signature hence my orginal post. I meant if i want to type "my signature" in the patch it won't open the app. your patch is messagetext + "[signature]" I first typed in "my signature " and it put it right next to the text. I then typed " my signature" it looks right. I wanted my signature to be in quotes so I tried ""my signature"" and that prevent the new message from opening up.
  9.    #9  
    Gotchya.

Unfortunately, that's going to cause you the have 2 text strings with characters in the middle which can't be interpreted.

Try this: ' " your_signature " '

You can remove the extra spaces...The javascript should read the single qutoes as the string container and treat your double quotes as part of the string.
    Tried that and all I got was a white screen when I tried to type a new message. Any chance of adding this to the preference menu?
  11.    #11  
    Tried that and all I got was a white screen when I tried to type a new message. Any chance of adding this to the preference menu?
    Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do anything with adding it to the preferences for awhile, but here's something I got to work to have your signature sent with quotes around it...

Please see post #28 for the most current patch file.
    Thanks I am installing now.
    Thanks for the Patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do anything with adding it to the preferences for awhile, but here's something I got to work to have your signature sent with quotes around it...

That one gives me the white screen as well. I guess i will just live without the quotes.

Do I need to put the underscore in the quote?
    Faith and Fear Can't Coexist
    Last edited by mamouton; 03/30/2010 at 11:47 PM.
  15.    #15  
    That one gives me the white screen as well. I guess i will just live without the quotes.

Do I need to put the underscore in the quote?
    Faith and Fear Can't Coexist
    Eureka...It's the extra apostrophe in the middle...

In this case, you have to escape out the apostrophe in the middle, so this syntax would look like this...
    Code:
    '"Faith and Fear Can\'t Coexist"'
    When I comment it out will it still show the word can't?
  17.    #17  
    When I comment it out will it still show the word can't?
    Yes...The backslash simply identifies the apostrophe as a character, not a comment...I did test it quick just to make sure it would work.

Does anyone know if this patch is currently working on 1.4.1.1?
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Does anyone know if this patch is currently working on 1.4.1.1?
    I don't actually use this patch , but I took it for a quick test drive.

It installed & operated correctly.

BTW...Looking at the views on the file in the OP, I guess this patch is more popular than I thought it would be.
    Yes I missed the signature line from my 755p. Any plans on makeing it integrate to the preferences so you can change signature on the fly?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast