Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    been reading some battery saving discussion and was wondering if it would be possible to create a patch that would automatically disable cell data whenever wifi was enabled or, even better, connected for a certain amount of time.
    <<Reworded title to better match the request.>>

Would you like this to work like Android does where this is an option in the settings?
    I thought that's how it worked. I know if Wifi is on, it switches to it and doesn't seem to use my cell data.

Am I mistaken?

nnb
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    There are a few Top Bar patches that allow you to turn data off manually in the device menu. There is also the Mode Switcher app that you can set a "trigger" to turn off data when a Wi-Fi connection is established. All are in Preware.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    I thought that's how it worked. I know if Wifi is on, it switches to it and doesn't seem to use my cell data.

Am I mistaken?

nnb
    You are not mistaken

Network disabled is disabled on a WIFI connection. Note I didn't say good wifi connection, just a connection.
    Dan
    it disconnects, but I think the radio remains on. I manually switch data off when I don't need it, which seems to help.
    wait, would SMS come over WIFI?
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    wait, would SMS come over WIFI?
    SMS does not require data, either WiFi or 2G/3G, to be connected.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    This is easily accomplished with Mode Switcher.
    you dont need anything to do this . all you need to do is associate the wifi conection and then evertime your near it , it will auto connect to the wifi . its really simple. and the phone tells you it will automatically connect to known networks ??!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    mode switcher with the data on demand works well. Palmuse has posted some settings that enhanced drahon's data on demand by adding a wifi disconnected trigger. Basically when connected to a known access pont your wifi kicks in if data is needed if not by a known access point phone data kicks in. If data is not needed no radios connected. Works great for me and fixes the buggy wifi trigger.
    I thought mode switcher required a luna restart when switching between modes.

Seems like that'd be a big hassle when you could just turn one thing off and on...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    This is easily accomplished with Mode Switcher.
    easily?.............mode switcher seems very complex and difficult to figure out
    limited info in manual/wiki
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    You are not mistaken

Network disabled is disabled on a WIFI connection. Note I didn't say good wifi connection, just a connection.
    Yeah. There are times that I have to shut off my Pre's wifi at home when I am too far from the router. That is how I know it switched over.

it's apparent that I have to learn more about mode switcher.
    no luna restart is required between switching modes.
    Last edited by mamouton; 09/20/2010 at 10:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by r_w_byrn View Post
    easily?.............mode switcher seems very complex and difficult to figure out
    limited info in manual/wiki
    I wouldn't call a 9+ page manual 'limited'. Many people have used it and the wiki to install and operate MS very successfully. I created it specifically to make the process less daunting.

IMO Mode Switcher is only as complex as the user wants it to be. A task such as the request in this thread can be accomplished in minimal time.

And no, MS does not require a reset between modes. I don't know where that misinformation came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post

And no, MS does not require a reset between modes. I don't know where that misinformation came from.
    If I remember correctly this misinformation is due to Precental did a spotlight a couple of weeks ago on a similar app to Modeswitcher that does require a Luna restart to switch modes.
    that app was called profiles. two totally different programs. Mode switcher is a battery saver.
    I'm going to look into the mode switcher patch because, I always heard great things about it, it's just that there was so much included. Not that it is a bad thing at all, by no means is it a bad thing. It's just that I don't know yet, what functions I will truly be utilizing the most out of it in the long run. Bundle pack patch

Does it have any advantages over just toggling the data/phone on or off in any way? Because the only thing about me using mode switcher is that I will not really have a set schedule or time frame to activate different modes. My days are all random.

Anyone want to chime in on that?

That said, Mode Switcher is still a sweet looking patch.

In the meantime, I will install and toy around with it for a bit.
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 09/21/2010 at 03:08 AM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    Does it have any advantages over just toggling the data/phone on or off in any way? Because the only thing about me using mode switcher is that I will not really have a set schedule or time frame to activate different modes. My days are all random.
    I suggest reading the wiki and manual. All of the available settings and triggers are explained. The "Time of Day" trigger is just one of many triggers available. If you have more questions after reading the documentation, post them in Mode Switcher thread in the Homebrew forum. Someone will be happy to answer them. :-)