Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Specifically when filing out a form (usually in a web browser page) when you are typing on the Pre's keypad you input your NAME, then need to go to the next field... like PASSWORD, you have to break stride and reach for the screen with your finger to get to the next field.

    If we could have a "virtual tab" command like "orange+spacebar" for Tab-forward and maybe "orange+shift (the up arrow) for Tab-backwards it would greatly improve text input. We could choose to stay ALL keyboard vs ALL screen with virtual keyboard for example.

    Tab is the normal default "Next field" key on most computers.

    possible?

    Thanks in advance,

    DT
  2. #2  
    Does the return key not switch you to the next field?
  3. #3  
    Try holding the Orange button and enter. It should tab you.
  4. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #4  
    Orange - Enter
    behaves no differently than just Enter. On most forms, it causes it to try to submit the form.

    Yes I very much want a tab key sequence in the browser to jump to next field. It was
    the very first thing I found annoying about this phone, and it is no less annoying
    today.

    My guess is that the lack of one is less about being able to send an actual Tab key,
    and more that the browser is simply not bothering to implement
    tab order rendering (which in a normal desktop browser not only jumps you
    between input fields but links and frames and such).

    ian
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiperla View Post
    Try holding the Orange button and enter. It should tab you.
    This does NOT work for me.
    1) Example to go Welcome to Facebook | Facebook on your Pre. Input some data in the 'Email or phone" field.
    2) To get to PASSWORD you have to use your finger and tap the screen. Using "Orange+enter" SENDS the information as if you were finished inputting all your information. I want it to move to the next text input field.

    Goto the same site on your computer and press TAB and you will see what I mean. TAB moves the input cursor and ENTER/RETURN submits the form.
  6. #6  
    I'm sorry. I made a mistake. I meant the up key and enter. Atleast it works for me that way. Try it again.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiperla View Post
    I'm sorry. I made a mistake. I meant the up key and enter. Atleast it works for me that way. Try it again.
    No, unfortunately this still does not work for me.
    This works for you on: Welcome to Facebook | Facebook ?
    If so what Pre/Pixi are you on and what OS version and what browser patches do you have?


    Thanks.

    DT
  8. #8  
    I havent tried it on Facebook. Only IMing.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiperla View Post
    I'm sorry. I made a mistake. I meant the up key and enter. Atleast it works for me that way. Try it again.
    Up key? Do you mean the shift key?
  10. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiperla View Post
    I havent tried it on Facebook. Only IMing.
    There's only *one* input field in the IM app. What do you think Shift-Enter
    is doing for you?

    ian
  11. #11  
    Hoy. My mind isn't working today. Let me try this again.

    ..
    OK, compose a new message from your "e-mail". Pressing "shift" and enter will tab through all the fields. Just tried it.
  12. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #12  
    Again, no different than simply pressing Enter to move from To to
    Subject to Message body.

    Anyway, we're talking about web forms.

    Other apps can implement whatever hot keys they want to move
    between fields, and they're irrelevant to the Web app.

    ian
  13. #13  
    Likewise, all the Pre users in my office here desperately want a Tab key sequence for web forms. It appears to be the only thing preventing our use of our Pre to complete some of our job related tasks. Hopefully someone in the home brew community out there can come up with something.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTreo View Post
    Specifically when filing out a form (usually in a web browser page) when you are typing on the Pre's keypad you input your NAME, then need to go to the next field... like PASSWORD, you have to break stride and reach for the screen with your finger to get to the next field.

    If we could have a "virtual tab" command like "orange+spacebar" for Tab-forward and maybe "orange+shift (the up arrow) for Tab-backwards it would greatly improve text input. We could choose to stay ALL keyboard vs ALL screen with virtual keyboard for example.

    Tab is the normal default "Next field" key on most computers.

    possible?

    Thanks in advance,

    DT
    Holding the up arrow and pressing enter will tab to the next field.

    Edit: this worked the other day, perhaps it doesn't work on all web pages.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    Holding the up arrow and pressing enter will tab to the next field.

    Edit: this worked the other day, perhaps it doesn't work on all web pages.
    Yes, this method shift-enter (or up arrow-enter) seems to move between fields in an email for example, it cycles between the TO/Subject/Body fields but does not perform ANY function when you are in the browser on a webpage. I have tried all combinations shift-space, shift-enter, orange-shife, orange-space, orange-enter etc.... there is no mention in the manual that I could find.

    It would seem the more we use our Pre's for online logins, web forms and surveys the more this will become a greatly missed feature.

    Can anyone say for sure if this is a LIMITATION (ie cannot be done) of the browser, or just an OMISSION (ie not yet implemented) in the browser.
    .

    It would be nice if a dev/programmer could chime in and comment about this issue.

    Thanks

    DT

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions