Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    so, by default, the developer mode app/preferences icon is hidden. it would be cool if i could hide any icon like that..for all those adult apps i have yet to download

if i knew how, i would add this option to the "delete app" menu that pops up when i tap the icon while holding the orange/option button.

further, it would be cool if i could assign tag(s) in that same menu so that the app will pop up when i type the tag into universal search. maybe the tag could replace the app name for finding it in universal search.
    martinjochimsen likes this.
    Both of those are possible within the appinfo.json file. All the "Hide [Application]" patches simply add "visible": "false", to the file.

Also, i don't remember the exact usage off the top of my head, but there is a way to give multiple 'tags' per app. ie: SMS, Text, Messaging could all point to the Messaging App.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Also, i don't remember the exact usage off the top of my head, but there is a way to give multiple 'tags' per app. ie: SMS, Text, Messaging could all point to the Messaging App.
    You simply have to add or modify the appinfo.json for an app like this:
    Code:
    "keywords": ["YOUR", "TAGS", "HERE"]
    This is what GSA uses to find an app.

If you really wanted to hide something and be able to unhide it later, you'd have to do two things.

1. Change the appinfo.json as suggested by Veritas06, so the app is hidden.

2. Patch the global-search-assistant.jsjsjs $to$ $use$ $the$ $kEasterApp$ $variable$ $for$ $whatever$ $apps$ $you$ $decide$ $to$ $hide$.

It's right at the beginning of the file...Here's an example of what should work:
    Code:
    var kEasterStrings = ["STRING1", "STRING2"];
    var kEasterApp = {
        {
            title: 'APP1 TITLE',  
            icon: 'PATCH TO APP1 ICON',  //to be found in the app's main folder
            id: 'NAME OF THE APP1s MAIN FOLDER',
            params: {}
        },
        {
            title: 'APP2 TITLE',  
            icon: 'PATCH TO APP2 ICON',  //to be found in the app's main folder
            id: 'NAME OF THE APP2s MAIN FOLDER',
        }
    };
    I hope that makes sense.

Thanks xanthinealkaloid. As i posted my simple "edit the appinfo.json" i was thinking about the Developer Mode Icon & exactly how the Konami Code pulled that up.

Thanks for the info.
  6. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Any way to add more apps to the Konami code? So you enter the code and other hidden app icons are available along with the dev app icon?
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    Any way to add more apps to the Konami code? So you enter the code and other hidden app icons are available along with the dev app icon?
    Yes...Look at my exapmle above...Instead of removing the devmode code, simply append what you want to the kEasterApp variable.

8. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Ahh... got it. Makes sense now. Thanks!
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Has anyone tried editing the kEasterApp variable to allow multiple apps? I was able to replace the dev mode, but when I tried to add another app, the launcher doesn't work anymore. Any thoughts?

I know that each individual app works alone, but just not together.

Code:
    var kEasterApp = {   
    	{                                                           
    		title: 'Developer Mode Enabler',                                        
    		icon: '/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/icon.png',   
    		id: 'com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher',                                     
    	},
    	{
    		icon: '/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.lds.gospellibrary/images/icon.png',   
    		id: 'org.lds.gospellibrary',                                     
    	}
    };
    The only way I was able to do this, was to create new variables. If you make your own variables similar to kEasterApp and kEasterStrings that have the words you want to type and the app info. If you search for kEaster, you will find an "if" statement that actually finds the app you're looking for. I was able to put an "else if" after that for whatever program I wanted to open.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilongbored View Post
    The only way I was able to do this, was to create new variables. If you make your own variables similar to kEasterApp and kEasterStrings that have the words you want to type and the app info. If you search for kEaster, you will find an "if" statement that actually finds the app you're looking for. I was able to put an "else if" after that for whatever program I wanted to open.
    I was thinking a case structure might work better. Regardless... I cant seem to get any of these methods to work.

I realize this is an old thread... but perhaps bumping it to the top will catch someones attention.

Has anyone gotten this to work? Can you show me a bit a capture of your code working? Ive tried all three methods, its possible I have my syntax wrong... but im not finding a decent example to work from.
    Ive managed to break the global-search-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $down$ $to$ $basically$ $two$ $relevant$ $spots$ $in$ $the$ $code$ $that$ $deal$ $with$ $calling$ $the$ $Dev$ $Mode$ $Enabler$ $from$ $universal$ $search$ ($noted$ $from$ $above$... $but$ $I$ $spent$ $a$ $few$ $hours$ $looking$ $through$ $it$ $line$ $by$ $line$ $for$ $any$ $other$ $references$). $Here$ $are$ $snippets$ $of$ $the$ $original$ $code$... $note$ $I$ $added$ $a$ $third$ $keyword$ $to$ $kEasterStrings$ $variable$.

Code:
    var kEasterStrings = ["upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", "webos20090606", "dev"];
    var kEasterApp = { 	
    };
    Next comes where it is actually called:

Code:
    		this.searchAppsReq = new Mojo.Service.Request('palm://com.palm.applicationManager', {
    			method: 'searchApps',
    			parameters: {'keyword': t},
    			onSuccess: this.handleSearchAppResults.bind(this),
    			onFailure: this.handleSearchAppResults.bind(this)
    		});

if (kEasterStrings.indexOf(t) !== -1) {
    			this.searchApps.push(kEasterApp);
    		}
    Ive tried it a couple differnt different ways... appending to the kEasterApp variable by simply adding more titles and such within the outmost {} which killed the launcher naturally... my thought was if I pulled up the Dev Mode Enabler it would also pull up the icons for the other hidden apps at the same time. Next I tried creating new variables... as such:
    Code:
    var kEasterStrings = ["upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", "webos20090606", "dev"];
    var canuck = ["hidden", "internalz", "canuck"];
    var kEasterApp = { 	
    }; 
    var canuckApp = {
    title: 'Internalz',
    icon: '/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.internalz/icon.png',
    id: 'ca.canucksoftware.internalz',
    };

Code:
    	this.searchAppsReq = new Mojo.Service.Request('palm://com.palm.applicationManager', {
    			method: 'searchApps',
    			parameters: {'keyword': t},
    			onSuccess: this.handleSearchAppResults.bind(this),
    			onFailure: this.handleSearchAppResults.bind(this)
    		});

if (kEasterStrings.indexOf(t) !== -1) {
    			this.searchApps.push(kEasterApp);
    		}
    else
    { if (canuck.indexOf(t) !== -1) { this.searchApps.push(canuckApp);
    }
    	},
    This also killed my launcher, although I realized my syntax might be off some. So the next thought was to once again append the kEasterStrings variable to include multiple keywords, then create multiple variables for each app to be called. Then, when making the service call, create a "case" structure based on the value of kEasterApps... I tried a couple iterations of this also only to kill the launcher each time, unfortunately I accidentally deleted that working copy of the .jsjsjs $much$ $to$ $my$ $chagrine$. $I$ $REALLY$ $doubt$ $I$ $had$ $the$ $syntax$ $correct$ $on$ $any$ $of$ $those$ $tries$.
    has any improvement been made to this? Bluewanders got very close, but it appears that doubts still exist.

Some of us have cleaned up our launchers a lot by adding visible: false to the .json files of unwanted apps (bluetooth, tasks, location, help, device info, etc). But it would be remarkable to be able to pull them up in univ search. I can confirm that if visible is false, univ search WILL NOT find the app.

i thank in advance

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    has any improvement been made to this? Bluewanders got very close, but it appears that doubts still exist.

Some of us have cleaned up our launchers a lot by adding visible: false to the .json files of unwanted apps (bluetooth, tasks, location, help, device info, etc). But it would be remarkable to be able to pull them up in univ search. I can confirm that if visible is false, univ search WILL NOT find the app.

i thank in advance
    I've had a little luck with this. (Bluewanders and I have been PMing back and forth). Here are the two sections of code I've used most recently that are working effectively. This does work with 1.4.5 and does replace "webos20090606" and the Konami Code with "!" for enabling dev mode. I use "*" and "#" for bringing up two other pages of hidden apps.

Hope this is useful. FYI this code will have to be manually removed from global-search-assistant.jsjsjs $prior$ $to$ $any$ $OTA$ $updates$.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    thanks a lot Rob. Big help which I will play with tomorrow.
    Where does that code go? In any specific section of the file?

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Lots of patches
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    thanks a lot Rob. Big help which I will play with tomorrow.
    Where does that code go? In any specific section of the file?
    You're welcome. The first section of code goes at the beginning of the file. To locate the second section, search for the next reference to "keaster" (the dev mode switcher app variable). It's around line 2,000 or 2,100, if I remember correctly.

Keep in mind that any errors, including a missing semicolon or comma, will likely leave you with a blank, non-functional launcher. The fix for this is to put the original global-search-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $back$ $in$ $place$ $and$ $to$ $reboot$ ($or$ $luna$ $reboot$) $the$ $Pre$. $Be$ $sure$ $to$ $save$ $a$ $backup$ $copy$ $of$ $that$ $file$ $before$ $you$ $add$ $this$ $code$.

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    hey Rob
    Still havent had a chance to play with this, as I cannot winscp into my pre post 1.4.5. Will try Filezilla.

Looking at the second text file, I see the following code, for example,
    if (UpdatesStrings.indexOf(t) !== -1) {
    this.searchApps.push(UpdatesApp);

Where did that name (UpdatesApp) come from?

Edit---I see. It is defined as a variable in the first text file. Posted this for the benefit of anyone else trying to figure this out.

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Lots of patches
  18.    #18  
    I think I'd be cool if this functionality was added to the advanced launcher config patch
    would be very very nice.
    Last edited by NABRIL15; 08/20/2010 at 09:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    hey Rob
    Still havent had a chance to play with this, as I cannot winscp into my pre post 1.4.5. Will try Filezilla.

Looking at the second text file, I see the following code, for example,
    if (UpdatesStrings.indexOf(t) !== -1) {
    this.searchApps.push(UpdatesApp);

Where did that name (UpdatesApp) come from?

Edit---I see. It is defined as a variable in the first text file. Posted this for the benefit of anyone else trying to figure this out.
    I'd definitely recommend FileZilla. I'm using it for file access to my Pre via SSH, and it's awesome.

I had to define a variable for each individual app to make this technique work properly, so you're correct that "UpdatesApp" is a variable to hide the Updates application.

Rob
    Rob Robinson
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast