1.    #1  
    First off, sorry if this has been asked before
    As for I didn't search.

So I rooted my Pre and I wanted to find all the patches so I could back them up.
    Where are they located?
    I can't seem to find them.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    lol all you can do is look at the log in usb mode in your phone. named web os internals log something something . as for the patches they have been inserted into the os on the phone lol

of course i dont mess around with the os either so if there is a place that saves files removed then it would be in the preware app on the phone.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    If really you want to backup your patches, I suppose you could copy your .webosinternals.patches.packages file off your USB, then use it as a list to gather the files you'll need for later use...Another option would be to see what packages you have installed by doing an ls command on your
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ directory.
    (BTW...Do not ever delete anything from this directory unless your doing so for an explicit purpose!)

Files sources include:
    1. Download the patch files via WOSQI...They'll be in the install folder.
    2. Go to Index of /feeds/webos-patches/...You'll be able to get the install package files.
    3. modifications in WebOS Internals - Gitorious

If a local copy of the patch is what your after, then these are your options...IMO; I would advise against keeping local copies though, unless you're making sure they're always up-to-date.

Since the patches are performing modifications to the files, the patch files are all you need to backup, but it's worth stating that these sources are always freely available, barring network issues...Other than that, you'd have to be able to image your Pre.