webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [patch] Ad Blocker
[patch] Ad Blocker
Like Tree8Likes

Old 03/14/2010, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Basically this is the Ad Blocker tweak from WOSQI converted to .patch form. I'll be submitting it to the WebOS-Internals feed and WOSQI 3.1 will then use that for the ad blocker tweak.

If you're using the WOSQI ad blocker tweak, remove it before installing this patch.
Attached Files
File Type: patch ad-blocker.patch (567.5 KB, 474 views) Email Attachment

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2010, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Downloading now. Thanks Jason!
Veritas06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2010, 04:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I saw this tweak a while back in webos QI. I know the name is pretty self explanitory, but could someone provide more details? Like what types of ads or does it just block out all ads when I'm browsing?
mjkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2010, 04:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
I saw this tweak a while back in webos QI. I know the name is pretty self explanitory, but could someone provide more details? Like what types of ads or does it just block out all ads when I'm browsing?
Basically it blocks out connection to ad servers, thus cutting off ads. As the half-megabyte patch size would suggest, it's a very long ad block list, and should cause pretty well no system lag

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Thanked by koolkid09, mjkjr, ryran, trim81
Old 03/14/2010, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

So, this patch cuts of the ads in games
and programs?
Mom2Ninjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2010, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
So, this patch cuts of the ads in games
and programs?
Only in the browser. Cutting them out of apps would be disrespectful to the developer...
Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2010, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Basically it blocks out connection to ad servers, thus cutting off ads. As the half-megabyte patch size would suggest, it's a very long ad block list, and should cause pretty well no system lag
Well that sounds almost too good to be true, thank you for the explanation.

Just installed via webos QI and I want to say it works great. Blocks out exactly what I don't want to see when using my phone :-D Thank you for yet another great patch.

Last edited by mjkjr; 03/14/2010 at 01:12 PM.
mjkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2010, 12:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Was about to spend some time yesterday manually editing my hosts file... good timing
Old 03/15/2010, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

would this be coming to preware?
sole_elite_xx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2010, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
would this be coming to preware?
Yes, like all my patches, they eventually make it to Preware. Though as mentioned numerous times in many threads, WOSQI installs .patch files in the same way Preware does, under the same AUPT, and is uninstalled in both WOSQI/Preware

Old 03/15/2010, 01:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

just installed

know any sites to test this on?
trim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2010, 01:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Also, for what its worth (and since the launch of the 800mhz patches, I'm sure there are more like me now) - For people on 1.3.5.1, this patch works just fine
Old 03/15/2010, 01:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Yes, like all my patches, they eventually make it to Preware. Though as mentioned numerous times in many threads, WOSQI installs .patch files in the same way Preware does, under the same AUPT, and is uninstalled in both WOSQI/Preware
thanks, I haven't had my computer in a really long time so that's why I was asking I don't know when I'm going to get my computer back
PURPRE THEME.
PREBANNER THEME.
CARBON PRE THEME.
BluePreprintTHEME.
BAPE THEME
ALESSANDRA AMBROSIO THEME.
PRE FUSION THEME.
sole_elite_xx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2010, 04:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
Only in the browser. Cutting them out of apps would be disrespectful to the developer...
Please add this clarification to the Preware patch page. I actually came looking for this thread to say that I disagreed with what I thought this patch did.

Removing the excessive ads from full web pages should speed things up. Also, because of a mobile browser's selective focus web advertisers aren't missing out that much.

BUT, and this may sound like a strange request, is it possible to allow sites formatted for mobile devices to display their ads properly? It's actually the same reasoning that you didn't block in-app ads. In most cases, mobile-formatted sites are a secondary effort by the site owner. And, mobile ads are rarely as obnoxious and disruptive as a full site's advertising. Please consider it.

Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 03/16/2010 at 04:27 AM.
Colonel Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2010, 05:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
BUT, and this may sound like a strange request, is it possible to allow sites formatted for mobile devices to display their ads properly? It's actually the same reasoning that you didn't block in-app ads. In most cases, mobile-formatted sites are a secondary effort by the site owner. And, mobile ads are rarely as obnoxious and disruptive as a full site's advertising. Please consider it.
There may have been some misunderstanding here. There is no selective ad blocking. This patch altered the standard hosts file and affects things systemwide. It just redirects adserver connections to localhost, thus preventing ads from rendering. The same technique is used on the iPhone.

It might be possible to filter out mobile ad servers, if they're different from the normal ad servers. Just search through the above patch to see if the ad server appears.

Old 03/16/2010, 10:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

Just installed this, I will post back if I have any issues.
rockandchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2010, 10:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

Here's a way to do it so that your adblock file is always up to date:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2295831

Jason,
If you'd like to incorporate that into your patch, that would be fine by me. The only issue, however, is that I check for specifics on my own home network to ensure that the file can be downloaded, so a patch may not actually be a good way to do it my way.
knobbysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2010, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
It doesn't 'cut out' anything. It's just a set of entries in /etc/hosts that point to loopback. Any hostname or wildcard url that is listed will be unreachable, no matter what application.

For example, on my pre, admob advertisements no longer show up on the weather channel app, nor in broadcast radio.
knobbysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2010, 10:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks as always, Jason. My phone and its 256MB of RAM thanks you as well.
FixtSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2010, 12:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

This patch has cuts ads out of apps as well. Every app that I remember having ads is now absent of them.

As AdMob is a popular (of not exclusive) source of in-app ads, could you remove them from the list so the Devs can get their $$. AccuWeather and The Weather Channel's ad sources, too.

I will keep this patch installed for now to see if/how it affects the premature Too Many Cards issue.
Colonel Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0