Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    This is an interesting ethical debate. If it's okay to block ads in the browser, why isn't it okay to block them in applications? You aren't reverse engineering their code or modifying their app in any way. If that feels wrong to you, I propose you ought not block ads in the browser either.

I haven't installed this patch, just found the reasoning to be intriguing.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    This is an interesting ethical debate. If it's okay to block ads in the browser, why isn't it okay to block them in applications? You aren't reverse engineering their code or modifying their app in any way. If that feels wrong to you, I propose you ought not block ads in the browser either.

I haven't installed this patch, just found the reasoning to be intriguing.
    Well. It's my device. I'll decide what it connects to, thanks. Advertisements are equivalent to malware afaic.
    I have this patch and love it. I think blocking the ads makes the device operate a little smoother. People pay good money for their phones and should have the choice to not have unwanted things hindering it's performance. I guess the people who don't agree with it or don't like what the patch does shouldn't install it.

Thank you.
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    agreed!!! i hate ad's!!! death to them all. Any decent app shouldn't have the need for them.
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Those that hate ads enough will like this patch and enjoy the slight speed benefit it might provide, those that feel that it hinders their fav apps too much won't use it.
    To each his/her own, that's the power of choice. usa...usA...USA!
    Jason, I have a question. I downloaded the patch right away and installed it with WebOS QI, shows version 1.4.0-1. Now I see the patch in preware and the version is 1.4.0-31, are there any differences between these?

Also, off note a little. Does WebOS QI check for updates on the patches I install with WebOS QI? If so how? Thank you.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Jason, I have a question. I downloaded the patch right away and installed it with WebOS QI, shows version 1.4.0-1. Now I see the patch in preware and the version is 1.4.0-31, are there any differences between these?

Also, off note a little. Does WebOS QI check for updates on the patches I install with WebOS QI? If so how? Thank you.
    No difference. Whenever new batches of patches are added to the feed, the version # bump is applied to the patch. In this case 31 = 1, lol.

The on-feed patches can be updated via WOSQI in the tweaks section with the Update option there or in Preware with the update option in there.

If you mean .patch files, nope, those are off-feed, so there'd be nowhere to look for an update. If you mean AUPT, they are able to transition OTA updates fine.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Thank you for the quick reply. I was referring to the .patch files and them not being on a feed so having nowhere to look for an update is makes perfect sense.
    Great patch. I always find ads slow down browsing on my laptop and since using this, browsing on my Pre is slightly quicker. Thanks a ton
    Installed (via Preware) and thanks. My only issue is that I prefer ad-block HOSTS files to use 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1 to avoid hitting a valid, running Web server on the localhost.

So after applying the patch, I loaded up webOSQuickInstall, copied /etc/hosts to my Mac and changed all the 127.0.0.1s to 0.0.0.0 except for the necessary localhost entries. Then I copied the updated file back to the Pre, again using wOSQI.

*my Linux-fu failed in my attempt to edit the file on-device.
    Hi, I have run into some problems with the Ad Blocker patch.

After installing the Ad Blocker patch, I discovered that the Pre's built-in help pages do not work anymore. It gives an error message when I tried to view it. Also, some websites seem to not work with the Ad Blocker. For example, I tried to use online banking on RBC Mobile. (RBC Mobile) and clicking on the Mobile Banking link will not do anything. (It's supposed to transfer me to a sign-in page) After uninstalling the Ad Blocker patch and rebooting, the Pre's help and RBC Mobile now both work.

I would like to block ads while still be able to access the help pages and mobile banking. Jason, could you please look into this? Thanks.
    I'm having the issue with help pages coming back with an error message. Some times the pages appear briefly the are replaced with an error screen (cannot read the file), other times, it goes directly to the error message. I can navigate the menus of the help system, the error only appears when actually going to a page with help text. This only seems to affect help in built in apps. Installed apps seem to not have any problem.

It is definitely this patch causing the problem. If I remove it, help functions normally. The benefits of the patch make me want to keep it installed, but it'd be nice to also be able to access help ( even as unhelpful as it usually is).
    I also miss my help. Is Palm listed in the modified hosts file.

I find the help sytem very useful and don't want to lose it.
    I used the hosts file from Ad server hostnames for blocking ads (format: hosts -- in hosts file format)[day]=&startdate[month]=&startdate[year]=&mimetype=plaintext to block the ad servers.

I just had to add it to the original hosts file in /etc/hosts. Works like a charm and my help still accessible.
    So what's new in the updated patch?
    i have a quick question about this patch.
    is there any other patches that conflict with this patch causing slowdowns in the web browser?
    when i first installed this patch i experienced some slow downs when browsing through web pages. i'm certain it was this patch because once i removed it browsing speed returned back to normal.

also if it helps with ur answer i have my pre overclocked to 1ghz UK.
    "So you can run and tell that, homeboy"
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanguerrero View Post
    i have a quick question about this patch.
    is there any other patches that conflict with this patch causing slowdowns in the web browser?
    when i first installed this patch i experienced some slow downs when browsing through web pages. i'm certain it was this patch because once i removed it browsing speed returned back to normal.

also if it helps with ur answer i have my pre overclocked to 1ghz UK.
    Nope, should cause any slow-down. On the contrary, it should speed things up. The hosts file is loaded on system start-up, shouldn't be able to slow down browser app launch.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Preware states I have an update, but will not let me update. The log shows...

When clicking Update:
    Failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.misc-ad-clocker.perm 2>&1
    ERROR: Cannot find patch file, bspatch file or additional_files!

When clicking Remove:
    Failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.misc-ad-clocker.perm 2>&1
    ERROR: Cannot find patch file, bspatch file or additional_files!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    I guess this is not important.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I guess this is not important.
    Click on "save packages". update it. Then run EPR. After that, go back to saved packages and reinstall all your patches.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast