Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

A couple of minutes ago something occurred to me, and it works:
    for facebook chat you only need to change the

/etc/hosts file.

Just add the line

69.63.181.104 talk.google.com

and add a facebook account as if it where a gmail account, so <username>@chat.facebook.com

Voila!

BTW: Google Talk does not actually use "talk.google.com", so it continues to work as normal

How it works: the messaging application can use any xmpp (jabber) service. In the code, however, it is restricted to google talk. (Ref Enabling Jabber, not just Google Talk - WebOS Internals | Google Groups )

The ip address above is actually "chat.facebook.com", so we impersonate facebook as google talk.

For more info on facebook chat clients see Help Center | Facebook
    Rnp, k4llle and Vistaus like this.
    that's pretty cool! I might try that later
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    OMFG
    interesting. Would love to do this but looks out of my league. Anyone want to post a more detailed step by step?
    Great find!!!!!!!!! I would thank you for the rest of my life if this works but so far I did the necessary changes/additions to the hosts file, I succesfully addedthe account but now its stuck on signing in. the ev icon shows activity for the first few seconds but then stops showing activity.

NEVER MIND!!!!!!!! IT WORKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    where do I add 69.63.181.104 talk.google.com?
    Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    where do I add 69.63.181.104 talk.google.com?
    Ya, help a couple of noobs out here
    Here it is, in patch form

Thanks robvanvliet
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    well first of all you need to do whats also known as "rooting your pre" then type
    mount -o remount, rw /
    vi /etc/hosts.
    once the file opens press i to enter insert mode and move your curson just below the last line with characters. ignore the lines with '~'. then type 69.63.181.104 talk.google.com
    press esc to exit insert mode.
    press x to save again you have to make sure u are not on insert mode. quit by typing :q!
    mount -o remount, ro /
    reboot
    and then go to facebook and get your username from the account settings.
    add account to messaging and bingo!

***well jason beat me to it!
    +++Its nice to see how patches are created. . . good learning experience
    Jason. Could you please explain me how this part of the patch works? i am very new to linux. .orig/etc/hosts+++ /etc/hosts@@ -2,1 +2,2 @@127.0.0.1 palm-webos-device+69.63.181.104talk.google.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Here it is, in patch form

Thanks robvanvliet
    Preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by jusegozu View Post
    Jason. Could you please explain me how this part of the patch works? i am very new to linux. .orig/etc/hosts+++ /etc/hosts@@ -2,1 +2,2 @@127.0.0.1 palm-webos-device+69.63.181.104talk.google.com
    Well, patches are just standard unified diffs.

I created a tool for quick patching: Unified Diff Creator. So no real extra knowledge needed

And to apply them: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...les-wosqi.html

And to submit your own created patches to the feed: dBsooner's webOS-Patches Web Portal

Quote Originally Posted by sjsamphex View Post
    Preware?
    WebOS Quick Install http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...les-wosqi.html

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    First of all thanks to everyone trying to help the noobs,

Jason,

I am getting the following error when i try to install this via webosQI

mount: mounting/dev/mapper/store-root-on/failed: Device or resource busy

Any ideas?

EDIT: I received the error above but it is showing in webosQI device management user installed content patches. Don't seem to be able to log in, will try a few more times.
    Last edited by Mike77; 03/13/2010 at 11:30 PM.
    So I installed the patch. Now what?
    Ohh cool. . . but could you explain me a little bit as of what the Highlighted parts do.
    orig/etc/hosts+++ /etc/hosts@@ -2,1 +2,2 @@127.0.0.1 palm-webos-device+69.63.181.104 talk.google.com
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    please get this in preware for noobs like me
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    So I installed the patch. Now what?
    Just add a new google chat account using your facebook username @chat.facebook.com.

It works! Thanks Jason and OP!
    Now comes the real life test. . . lets see how much my battery suffers from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike77 View Post
    EDIT: I received the error above but it is showing in webosQI device management user installed content patches. Don't seem to be able to log in, will try a few more times.
    Yea, that's just a random issue devices have in both wosqi/preware. Basically just reboot your pre and everything should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jusegozu View Post
    Ohh cool. . . but could you explain me a little bit as of what the Highlighted parts do.
    orig/etc/hosts+++ /etc/hosts@@ -2,1 +2,2 @@127.0.0.1 palm-webos-device+69.63.181.104 talk.google.com
    well, I think you have line ending off. You're probably viewing the patch in something limited like Notepad. Try something more advanced like Textpad or Notepad+

Anyway, it should look like:
    Code:
    --- .orig/etc/hosts
    +++ /etc/hosts
    @@ -2,1 +2,2 @@
     127.0.0.1 palm-webos-device
    +69.63.181.104 talk.google.com
    --- and +++ are just filepath stuff.
    - indicates the before-patch part. the first digit, 2, is the start line of this chuck, and 1 is the chunk size.
    + indicate the after-patch part. the first digit, 2, is the start line of the chunk, and 2 is the chunk size (which increases by 1 with the new line added in this chunk)
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 03/13/2010 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    Just add a new google chat account using your facebook username @chat.facebook.com.

It works! Thanks Jason and OP!
    I still don't understand. Where do I add the facebook username at. In the messaging app? If so I tried and it didn't work right. I need help.
Page 1 of 37 123456 11 ... LastLast