Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    This worked great and I can connect to Facebook Chat just fine now. BUT... I can't connect to my real Google Talk account now. I went into the settings for my Google Talk account (which is through Google Apps, not regular Gmail, if that makes any difference) and re-entered my password and clicked 'Sign In', and it says:

Could not connect to the server. Try again.
    Any ideas? Anyone else having problems connecting to their regular Google Talk after they've added their Facebook under a second Google Talk entry? Or is it supposed to be this way, where it's either/or with Facebook and Google Chat?

/Kevin
    Last edited by commonplace; 03/15/2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: clarification
    yeah that's going to a problem with us. Because with our google talk accounts via google apps since we need to specify talk.google.com as our login server. If you don't use aim you could prolly rename that server.
    A couple of questions:

1) Does this method replace Google Chat or add FB chat as an additional protocol?

2) Is it possible to create a patch to have the account be renamed to "Facebook" instead of Google, and also add the Facebook icon?

3) After you set up Facebook chat & all contacts have loaded, do any brand new contacts you've added to your Facebook show up as "uXXXXXXXXX" (X being the user ID number). Or do newly added contacts get added with their actual name?
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    This worked great and I can connect to Facebook Chat just fine now. BUT... I can't connect to my real Google Talk account now. I went into the settings for my Google Talk account (which is through Google Apps, not regular Gmail, if that makes any difference) and re-entered my password and clicked 'Sign In', and it says:

Any ideas? Anyone else having problems connecting to their regular Google Talk after they've added their Facebook under a second Google Talk entry? Or is it supposed to be this way, where it's either/or with Facebook and Google Chat?

/Kevin
    I had Google Talk already configured prior to applying the patch, and afterwards, it still works. I'm able to see my Gtalk buddy list and chat with other Gtalk folk.

Currenly have AOL IM, Gtalk, and Facebook chats working and all friends are showing up in my Buddy list.

I have not tried the method you speak of, though.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I would like to congratulate those who made this happen. This is a great tweak. After about 20min all contacts were loaded and I started chatting. the only downside is the large amount of online users. If i could log off FB chat with out logging off gtalk I would like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rosenbaaron View Post
    yeah that's going to a problem with us. Because with our google talk accounts via google apps since we need to specify talk.google.com as our login server. If you don't use aim you could prolly rename that server.
    Gotcha. So right now, I have to pick whether I want Facebook or Google Talk via Google Apps. Uggghhh. Figures that the most exciting thing to come down the pipe in a long time with have a huge 'gotcha' for me!

I was using the other messaging plugins before, but they were flaky and didn't work as well as this seems to. Sucks having to choose between the two, though.

/Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    A couple of questions:

1) Does this method replace Google Chat or add FB chat as an additional protocol?

2) Is it possible to create a patch to have the account be renamed to "Facebook" instead of Google, and also add the Facebook icon?

3) After you set up Facebook chat & all contacts have loaded, do any brand new contacts you've added to your Facebook show up as "uXXXXXXXXX" (X being the user ID number). Or do newly added contacts get added with their actual name?
    1: It adds FB chat as additional. I can chat with my AOL IM, Gtalk, and FB friends, all showing up in my Buddie list on the Pre. Very convenient.

2: Developer? It doesn't bother me much actually.

3: Out of the 120+ FB contacts I have, I only have one showing up with "uXXX" and haven't figured out why. It is a new contact, but I also added a contact around the same time as this one and it shows up Named. I may try to manually add the contact, and just link the accounts.

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet View Post
    I had Google Talk already configured prior to applying the patch, and afterwards, it still works. I'm able to see my Gtalk buddy list and chat with other Gtalk folk.

Currenly have AOL IM, Gtalk, and Facebook chats working and all friends are showing up in my Buddy list.

I have not tried the method you speak of, though.
    I had mine already configured as well, but it stopped working after I added the Facebook one. Looks like it's because I'm using Google Apps instead of regular old Gmail.

Unless you're using Google Apps and it works for you...?

/Kevin
    I had mine already configured as well, but it stopped working after I added the Facebook one. Looks like it's because I'm using Google Apps instead of regular old Gmail.

Unless you're using Google Apps and it works for you...?

/Kevin
    I am not using Google Apps, actually. Just regular Gmail with Google Talk

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    1: It adds FB chat as additional. I can chat with my AOL IM, Gtalk, and FB friends, all showing up in my Buddie list on the Pre. Very convenient.

2: Developer? It doesn't bother me much actually.

3: Out of the 120+ FB contacts I have, I only have one showing up with "uXXX" and haven't figured out why. It is a new contact, but I also added a contact around the same time as this one and it shows up Named. I may try to manually add the contact, and just link the accounts.
    1) Sweet, thanks.

3) Ah, ok. The reason I ask is because I use greg_roll's messaging patch for Jabber. And when using this method, newly added Facebook contacts get added to chat in that method. I was hoping that the method from this thread would avoid that. Since it seems like it might be the same issue, I'll keep using greg_roll's patch.

Also, I have been running Facebook chat via the Jabber protocol straight for about 2 weeks now. My battery is barely affected by being logged into Google & Facebook chat at the same time. The drainage % per hour is usually about 2-4%.
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by rosenbaaron View Post
    Any idea how I'd replace AIM with Facebook instead, then? Would it still just be a matter of modifying the hosts file? Seems like there'd be more to it, though, right? Google Talk uses XMPP/Jabber already, like Facebook now does.. whereas AIM uses it's own protocol (right?), so it's not just a matter of pointing at a different IP, is it?

/Kevin
    I am not using Google Apps, actually. Just regular Gmail with Google Talk
    'kay, that's what I figured. It works fine for regular Gmail with Google Talk, but not for Google Apps with Google Talk.

Looks like I'll be waiting for another workaround. Might work on replacing AIM instead of Google Talk instead, as rosenbaaron suggested... I'll have to see how that would work.

/Kevin
    Could this be done using AOL IM instead? I don't know if AOL IM uses the jabber protocol, so if not then oh well. But I currently don't use AOL IM at all, so that would be another way of doing this i guess....
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    How can I uninstall this in WebOS QI?
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    Could this be done using AOL IM instead? I don't know if AOL IM uses the jabber protocol, so if not then oh well. But I currently don't use AOL IM at all, so that would be another way of doing this i guess....
    That was what rosenbaaron suggested. I didn't think AIM used XMPP/Jabber... but now I'm not sure. It looks like they might have switched to that a couple of years ago. So it might work after all, which would be sweet. I'd like to have AIM, but given the choice, I'd rather have Google Talk (via Google Apps) and Facebook, and leave AIM out of the mix.

I'm going to attempt to give this a try and I'll report back.

/Kevin
    That was what rosenbaaron suggested. I didn't think AIM used XMPP/Jabber... but now I'm not sure. It looks like they might have switched to that a couple of years ago. So it might work after all, which would be sweet. I'd like to have AIM, but given the choice, I'd rather have Google Talk (via Google Apps) and Facebook, and leave AIM out of the mix.

I'm going to attempt to give this a try and I'll report back.

/Kevin
    Agreed, I never use AIM any more, and would rather have Google Talk and Facebook.....
    For those who are having trouble finding their username I thought this might be helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    mine still wont work, I've installed the patch, though i get "error 5" and it installs anyway, and luna restarts, i logged out of facebook, tried, and it said i have the incorrect information, I've a username since day 1, and it still doesn't work, any ideas?
    I have done everything as was instructed, but still cannot login to the Facebook chat. I receive a "Username or password is invalid" error. I'm positive I'm entering my credentials correctly. To test this I've also logged into Facebook with my new username and I have no issues.

Any advice as to what I should do?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChewbaccaFreak View Post
    I have done everything as was instructed, but still cannot login to the Facebook chat. I receive a "Username or password is invalid" error. I'm positive I'm entering my credentials correctly. To test this I've also logged into Facebook with my new username and I have no issues.

Any advice as to what I should do?
    You don't "login" with your username

Your username is basically a customized page link like for example to view my profile you'd type this in the address bar.
    www.facebook.com/daar.ga.rawr.ga
    Instead of being
    www.facebook.com/t8j04lrr7yu

MySpace does the same thing with their site as well.

daar.ga.rawr.ga is my username.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast