Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhouse82 View Post
    Worked for me too...chatting away..Thank Jason
    Don't thank me, thank robvanvliet, he made the discovery of this easy convenient solution
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by robvanvliet View Post
    Hello,

A couple of minutes ago something occurred to me, and it works:
    for facebook chat you only need to change the

/etc/hosts file.

Just add the line

69.63.181.104 talk.google.com

and add a facebook account as if it where a gmail account, so <username>@chat.facebook.com

Voila!

BTW: Google Talk does not actually use "talk.google.com", so it continues to work as normal

How it works: the messaging application can use any xmpp (jabber) service. In the code, however, it is restricted to google talk. (Ref Enabling Jabber, not just Google Talk - WebOS Internals | Google Groups )

The ip address above is actually "chat.facebook.com", so we impersonate facebook as google talk.

For more info on facebook chat clients see Help Center | Facebook
    It may be the only time i may kiss u without fear of everyone calling me gay. I dont give a damn. For months and months I was begging and pleading, trying all kind of messaging patches just for facebook chat to work and u just showed simple solution which works in Palm's messaging/contacts synergy. All my messages come like IMs and it shows in thread of that specific contact (from my facebook acct that sync in contacts) which is very natural to Palm UI. Gosh I love u so much for this and offcourse Jason too as he made it in a patch where anyone can install patch and use it.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quick question: when in a conversation with someone does it say "Facebook" at the top right or does it say "Google"?
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I'm gonna have to give it a try when I get home from work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    Quick question: when in a conversation with someone does it say "Facebook" at the top right or does it say "Google"?
    It does. But if you are in chat thread and go to right menu to choose which service u want to use to send ur contact a msg you can see that instead of just email add or phone number u will see xxxxxyyyy@chat.facebook.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    what does it say user name or password invalid. i am sure its right
    I created a used name in my facebook account settings, i sign out and signed in with it to make sure it works.

Why does my pre say user name or pass invalid?

********UPDATE *******
    OK i waited almost 2hrs and now it works Thx !!!
    Last edited by suruat; 03/14/2010 at 06:33 AM. Reason: update
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    Unfortunately it says "Google"
    couldnt we just patch that as well to say facebook???
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    hey i read through all of this and i dont see anyone with my problem. i got everything working right but now in my messaging contacts list is all screwed up. i have my buddies into groups fam/female/homies/wifey corny i know lol but now i have buddies which i assume should be just facebook friends BUT it has a bunch of other contacts from the other category duplicated in it so my list is twice as long now anyone has any idea on how i can fix that? ? ? ? ?
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Here it is, in patch form

Thanks robvanvliet
    thabks Jason and Robvanvliet. You guys rock!
    I'm confused do this go off of the contacts that's synergy to facebook?
    Awesome. Does anyone know if this would work in Airplane mode with a wi-fi connection? I doubt it would, but my son's in the military and would have wi-fi but not phone or data. Otherwise, I haven't seen any FB chat for WebOS, or did I miss something?
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    works like a charm, thanks

gapost: Greg Rolls messaging plugins include both Jabber and Facebook
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Amazing... awesome clever solution!
    Mike
    Sidetop Software
    http://www.sidetop.com
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    works great here.

THIS SHOULD BE ON THE FRONT PAGE AND EVEN ENGADGET
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Awesome. Does anyone know if this would work in Airplane mode with a wi-fi connection? I doubt it would, but my son's in the military and would have wi-fi but not phone or data. Otherwise, I haven't seen any FB chat for WebOS, or did I miss something?
    I turned my Airplane mode on turned wifi back on and my contacts showed up I then sent and recieved a message to a facebook contact. So yes it does work in the manner you asked.
    Works here too. Pretty amazing. It does add a "uxxxxx@chat.facebook.com" entry to your Facebook contacts in the Contact app as it links the new chat profile. It still shows up with a Google Talk icon throughout.

The buddies list even sorts your Facebook chat buddies if you've organized them using the website. All are also marked online if available.

I can also sign in to Facebook using the messaging up, but marking myself "Offline" doesn't work yet- it leaves me online on the Facebook website. I'm having to sign off by pulling up Facebook on my Pre and signing off manually.

Great job!!
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    robvanvliet, that is so simple it is beautiful! This should be on the front page of PC. Do you know how many teens will love this? My daughter will be thrilled! Thank you very much, both of you!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Does anyone know how to make it where your contacts don't get flooded with my "google" friends with are acually facebook friends. When I go into preferences and accounts on the contacts there is nothing to get rid of. I can only go to the messaging app and get rid of the google talk to get rid of the contact flooding. But that means my facebook chat would go away.

I hope I'm making sense to someone lol.
    Mine is organized alphabetically, and not by facebook grouping...this is cool, though.
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast