1.    #1  
    ok, a question that ive never asked before, it may sound dumb but i just dont know the answer.

Luna restart every time u install a patch, or u can install all the patches u want first and then at the end do the luna restart?
    dude im facing the same issue,it's so annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by fortes89 View Post
    ok, a question that ive never asked before, it may sound dumb but i just dont know the answer.

Luna restart every time u install a patch, or u can install all the patches u want first and then at the end do the luna restart?
    You can install all the patches you want before you restart.

Quote Originally Posted by fortes89 View Post

the latter.

Luna Restart is done to re-read the files and bring them into memory, you can change the files all you want but until they are re-read you won't -see- the effects. There is nothing else special that a Luna Restart is required for.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  5.    #5  
    ok so its safe to install everything first then do the restart... i asked cuz i was installing patches this way the other day and it caused my phone to freeze at the palm logo, i ended up having to doctor my phone. im not sure if that was the cause of my problem, but well just making sure.
    thanks
    I am curious about this too. What does everybody do? Restart after everyone or after installing all of them. Does anybody notice a cleaner install if you install one at a time? Or does it not matter at all either way?
    There really is no reason to restart luna after each patch if you plan on doing multiple. It's kind of like taking a picture of a fruit bowl.

When you take a picture of a bowl of fruit you now have a snapshop, like the view of the phone, of the current configurations. This allows quicker access to the snapshot of configurations than if you were to go directly to the source each time. Now say you wanted to remove the apples (or the NFL app), and you do, but you'll see the picture still has apples in it. When you restart luna it's like taking a new picture. There is no harm rearranging all the fruit before taking a picture as e the final snapshot will be the same either way, just as with patches.

And I always install all my patches before restarting anything.
    I update/change/remove all my patches before doing a Luna restart and have never had a problem. The only one that does not give the option is when updating Preware which automatically does a Luna restart after being updated.
  9. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I usually restart after the last one. No problems here.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    the problem with installing a bunch of patches before doing a luna restart is you wouldn't know which patch is the culprit when there is an issue. A lot of these patches touch similar files and may not be compatible. It may be safe if you already know that these patches worked in unison on your device before. However, especially after an OS update, I test ALL patches a few at a time to make sure there are no issues. JMHO.

Case in point: I did a mass patch install the other day - had to doctor after that (EPR and Repair Utility didn't work). It may be a Godsend since my Pre is now working superbly with all important (to me) apps and patches installed.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!