Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is a thread for discussion, questions etc related to the 5x5 icons for app launcher patch. It is available from Preware and WebOS Quick Install in the patches feed. It is also attached here along with the screen shot. Please feel free to post here or if you prefer contact me privately on the forum. This patch is based on the 5x4 icons v2 patch. The attached patch file is provided under the same MIT open source license as it is in the patches feed.

Thank you and I hope you like the patch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 03/03/2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Signature wasn't applied to the post
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    This is by far my favorite patch! It makes the laucher look cleaner and more advaned. On some of the cards; I didin't even realize how many apps I had until I installed this patch! Very cool!
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 03/03/2010 at 04:37 PM.
    Love this patch! I am using it now instead of 5x4 v2.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I love this patch in conjunction with the hide quick launch bar in launcher patch
    I love this patch. It is great.

I have one complaint about it though... Since installing this patch it is really hard to move an icon on the launch screen. I press and hold on an icon, and the lil circle appears behind it, but half the time dragging will not move the icon. It isn't a huge problem because it generally will work on a second try, but it is a bit annoying

Aside from that, this is an awesome patch. Thanks!
    Ever since I started using this patch; I have noticed that I don't need to reset my phone as often; to clear the resources. Is this just a coincidence, or is it that because I'm longer scrolling Up & Down long lists of apps, that my phones resources are no longer being used as much? All I have to do now is scroll from card-to-card, because all of my apps are more easily seen now. Am I just imaging this, or is this really possible? I don't know enough about the WebOS to really know either way; so that is why I am asking.
  7.    #7  
    The 5x4 patch suffered the same problem with moving icons. What I find helps but doesn't always do the trick is rapid move almost just as you press the icon rather than waiting to see the glow. If the timing is right you begin moving the icon as soon as it begins to glow. I can investigate the jsjsjs $and$ $see$ $if$ $something$ $in$ $there$ $may$ $work$ $in$ $a$ $way$ $where$ $it$ $has$ $to$ $be$ $adjusted$ $along$ $with$ $the$ $sizes$ $in$ $the$ $css$.

as for the not having to reset as often after adding the patch, I'm sure that is purely coincidental.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    I love this patch. It is great.

I have one complaint about it though... Since installing this patch it is really hard to move an icon on the launch screen. I press and hold on an icon, and the lil circle appears behind it, but half the time dragging will not move the icon. It isn't a huge problem because it generally will work on a second try, but it is a bit annoying

Aside from that, this is an awesome patch. Thanks!

I have noticed it as well. I close the launcher, then reopen it to move the app icon. I have seen the bug with a lot of different launcher patches; so I have no idea why it is happening.
    what solves it for me is moving the launcher page a bit horizontally without changing the page. Usually the icon "unlocks" easier afterwards.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    This is the only patch I have so far.
    Works better than the old 5x4 patch -- more accurate. Easy to move icons with the named pages in launcher patch; they work together well.
    Laissez Faire
    Is anyone using this patch in combo with the hide icon titles? I prefer to have icons only and all the other 5-X-x patches leave too much space between the rows for my taste.

If anyone is using these 2 together, I'd love to see a screen shot.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  13.    #13  
    I just submitted an update to the patch. In a nut shell improved icon names concerning ones that were long enough to be 3 lines. The few on my device that were 3 lines are now 2 lines and the names are more centered with the icons as far as I can tell as well. The listing in the feed will also have a link back to this thread as well, something I left out when I originally submitted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I just submitted an update to the patch. In a nut shell improved icon names concerning ones that were long enough to be 3 lines. The few on my device that were 3 lines are now 2 lines and the names are more centered with the icons as far as I can tell as well. The listing in the feed will also have a link back to this thread as well, something I left out when I originally submitted it.
    Any luck diagnosing why sometimes it is hard/impossible to move icons around?

I have found that depending where the icon is on the page, moving it first in one particular direction seemed to help. Generally, it seemed if I moved towards the center of the page first, the icon would become "unstuck", then I could move it where I wanted it.

I hope that helps in some way.
    Thanks for the path, looks great.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Any luck diagnosing why sometimes it is hard/impossible to move icons around?

I have found that depending where the icon is on the page, moving it first in one particular direction seemed to help. Generally, it seemed if I moved towards the center of the page first, the icon would become "unstuck", then I could move it where I wanted it.

I hope that helps in some way.
    This seems to be an issue with all of the more icons launchers but probably not as bad with the 4x4. It does appear that the reduced drag radius improves things but not completely eliminates it. Sometimes I still have to try repeatedly to drag an icon but more than half the time I am able to move on first try just like as if I was moving an icon without having the 5x5 patch installed.
    Regarding moving apps in the launcher, I've found that if you touch the lower portion of the app icon you can move them...but if you touch the middle or upper portion it will not move.
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    This is by far my favorite patch! It makes the laucher look cleaner and more advaned. On some of the cards; I didin't even realize how many apps I had until I installed this patch! Very cool!
    Wow me neither...I got to have about 100+ in there. Need to clean house...I'm sure I don't use half of them.

Either way, very cool and love the layout. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by boxfier View Post
    Regarding moving apps in the launcher, I've found that if you touch the lower portion of the app icon you can move them...but if you touch the middle or upper portion it will not move.
    That seems to work for me too. Wow, and so simple.
    Using this patch combination I can get 5x6 Icons. Still waiting for your v2 to show up in Preware.

* 5x5 Icons V1
    * Advanced Configuration for App Launcher: Quick Launch bar set to hide in launcher
    * No Arrows or Fade Bar
    * Remove Page Indicators: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ndicators.html

Using this patch combination I can get 5x5 Icons.

* 5x4 Icons V2
    * Advanced Configuration for App Launcher: Quick Launch bar set to hide in launcher
    * No Arrows or Fade Bar
    * Remove Page Indicators: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ndicators.html

If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast