1.    #1  
    I would like to request a patch for this. I know this may now be for everyone, but so are a lot of patches. I am also aware of a thread in the Palm Pre forum but thought it would be better to put in a request here. I know the period key is right next to the spacebar but when I'm typing its just more natural for me to double tap the spacebar. Thanks guys and keep up the great work.
    +1 for this as well.
    <------ would love this patch
    Jimmie Geddes
    Sound good, but what would you do at the end of a sentence, which requires a double space for proper grammer and style.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Sound good, but what would you do at the end of a sentence, which requires a double space for proper grammer and style.
    That's the point, I believe. I guess when you double space, it automatically does ". " on other devices, so it skips having to enter the period.
  6.    #6  

Rob
    I guess I've learned to live with single space. Until you brought it up I had forgotten all about that.
    I don't even use double spacing on the computer any more unless it's for work or if it's for something formal. If that's the case I wouldn't be using my phone to type that up anyway.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That's the point, I believe. I guess when you double space, it automatically does ". " on other devices, so it skips having to enter the period.
    I think he means "period" "space" "space", then start new sentence.

Example. Example
    compared to
    Example. Example
    Last edited by lopezpm; 02/23/2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: extra space isn't showing up in the second example.
    Should you really expect to bring all of your old habits to a new phone?
    It seems we want the same things!

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...tionality.html
    this is a blackberry trick that the iphone adopted as well. i still find myself doing it alot even now since i've been using those other 2 platforms for years now...It's almost become natural. double spacebar puts a period after the sentence an leaves 1 space to the start of the next sentence. And since the space bar is easy to locate and it is used so much in a sentence you automatically gravitate towards it. Its a great idea
    Mmmmmmmmmm, forbidden donut.....

Rob
    LOL! I do this compulsively. My mom's an English teacher, so correct grammar and punctuation was instilled in me from an early age. There are times when I'm text messaging and I'm trying to keep it to one message (and therefore under 160 chars), and it's actually hard for me to not put a double space. But it seems like the double space between sentences is gone with the dodo these days. I think we may be relics, my friend.

I wouldn't mind a patch like this. I could probably learn to live with the single space after a sentence. Either that, or I would be triple spacing.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Should you really expect to bring all of your old habits to a new phone?
    how is it a habit to want something to help me type faster. That's what so nice about an app, if you don't want to use it you don't have to but for the people that like they can use it. Besides I am requesting not expecting.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by soxfan2003 View Post
    this is a blackberry trick that the iphone adopted as well. i still find myself doing it alot even now since i've been using those other 2 platforms for years now...It's almost become natural. double spacebar puts a period after the sentence an leaves 1 space to the start of the next sentence. And since the space bar is easy to locate and it is used so much in a sentence you automatically gravitate towards it. Its a great idea
    yeah, I loved it on my Blackberry and my iPhone.
    If I'm not mistaken, the rule requiring a double-space after a period only applies to monospaced fonts like Courier, since they're harder to read. As long as you're using a proportional font, and most of us are, you only need to use a single space after the period. Wikipedia seems to back this up, so it must be true: Double spacing at the end of sentences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

+1 on the patch request, BTW
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the rule requiring a double-space after a period only applies to monospaced fonts like Courier, since they're harder to read. As long as you're using a proportional font, and most of us are, you only need to use a single space after the period. Wikipedia seems to back this up, so it must be true: Double spacing at the end of sentences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

look at you! like they always say, Search is your friend
    Mmmmmmmmmm, forbidden donut.....
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post

That was actually a really interesting read. Well, okay, I didn't read the entire wikipedia article - it's really long! - but I did skim over a lot of it. I swear I remember being taught the double space when I was in high school, but come to think of it, that was probably in my typing class, not my English class. I graduated HS in 1990, and typing papers on a computer was new-fangled and not required back then. In fact, my typing class was taught with actual typewriters. Anyway, it's so much a habit with me now, it would be really hard to break it, no matter what all the style guides say!
    Oh, this is what he wanted. So the double space would just put the period there and it would still be grammatically correct.

Yes, all for that!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

18.    #18  
    can someone with 1.4 see if this has been added please.
    Hrm. It's too bad autoreplace isn't a little more powerful with its matching. It would be a good place for something like this. Replace ' ' with '. ', but obviously, the match, and the period, needs to be at the end of the last word, which makes it impossible, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $for$ $autoreplace$ $to$ $do$ $its$ $thing$ $properly$.

If only the autoreplace dictionary was just a bunch of sed macros.
    : (){:|:&};:
  20.    #20  
    I guess it's not added in 1.4