1.    #1  
    I was wondering if it would be possible to create a patch that would stop the Pre from breaking up texts into 160 character messages and then sending them.
    I know Windows Mobile phones can do this, I've had plenty of them.
    This is probably the thing that I miss most from WM.

Why am I asking for this, because for some odd reason when I send a long text that is 3 or 4 texts long, the arrive out of order and funny looking.

While some one is at it and looking at the code.

Would it be possible to remove the character max of 9XX?

As a reward I'm willing to kick in a $5 donation via paypal to any one that can get this done cleanly.

Any one else want to donate too?
  2.    #2  
    Anyone at all?
    Anyone even interested in something like this?
    No matter what phone you have, all SMS messages are limited to 160 characters. It's just the way they are formatted. What you are asking is impossible unless I don't understand your request.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Maybe what you want is a feature to reassemble them as one message when they arrive, but there's no way to not break them up. It's a limitation of SMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Maybe what you want is a feature to reassemble them as one message when they arrive, but there's no way to not break them up. It's a limitation of SMS.
    Yup, stubbs is correct. It is a limitation of both the process of SMS and the network. Digital info (Data) is sent over the air in packets and a text message is essentially digital info (Data) so it must be broken up into packets. This ensures a level of security and also lessens the bandwidth required at any given time.

What the Pre should do is compile the entire message into one when all the packets are received, similar to what the iPhone does. The iPhone does not limit the amount of characters per message, instead it allows you to type away and when the message is sent it is broken up accordingly. If the message was sent to another iPhone it is compiled back into the same long unbroken text message.

If the message was not recieved by another iPhone it comes through as a multiple segment text message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz Al Ghoul View Post
    What the Pre should do is compile the entire message into one when all the packets are received, similar to what the iPhone does.
    Must be a carrier/system thing. Because that is what mine does.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Must be a carrier/system thing. Because that is what mine does.

It Does?

I don't know the technology behind it, but that is exactly what I want... I would like for everything to be sent/received and compiled as one message with out having it say msg 1 of 6 or have limitations of how many characters I can send...

Just like the "iPhone" But I swear other phones I've had did this too...
    You won't be able to change the limit on sending, you can make it appear like one big message when you receive, but it really isn't that big of a deal.

The limit is there as definition of a text message, if you'd like that changed you can start by petitioning to each of the cell providers to change their entire system costing them millions in architecture and system changes, then you can go ask the phone manufacturers.
  9.    #9  
    Well it's not the phone manufacture, it's the NETWORK. after doing more research outside of Precentral I have discovered the problem and the silly workaround.

The problem is that CDMA doesn't handle messaging the way that GSM does and therefore the 160 character limit still exists. However, GSM can handle it and so texts are not broken down.

For anyone that is interested, the work around is just to attach a pick and then start typing your text.

I've saved a very tiny pic as a placeholder and use that pic to send my long messages. This way, the limit is increased to 1000 characters.

PS. Here's something for Alex.Dobeck

Concatenated SMS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the technology that allows a text to exceed the 160 character limit on the client side of things...

Damn it sprint, get your **** together....