View Poll Results: Would you use this launcher mod?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

57 40.71%
  • No

49 35.00%
  • Maybe

34 24.29%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Jason: Excellent!

that font looks like it will work. Is it the default font?

I would point out that instead of centering the final list, it would look sharper to have everything left aligned. maybe we could make the gradient a little darker.

i'm so glad you helped put this together. I'll take a look and see if I can contribute when I get home tonight.
    Last edited by discolightning; 02/23/2010 at 07:39 PM.
  2.    #22  
    could someone explain what this means:

Code:
    @@ -125,7 +135,7 @@
    I know it is removing and adding some lines, but I can't figure out exactly how it needs to be changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by discolightning View Post
    that font looks like it will work. Is it the default font?
    it's actually Prelude Medium, one of Palm's built-in font. I have it set as all uppercase. I'm thinking the letters look a little close together and we might want to use letter-spacing css to space it out a bit more

could someone explain what this means:

Code:
    @@ -125,7 +135,7 @@
    I know it is removing and adding some lines, but I can't figure out exactly how it needs to be changed.
    they easiest way of seeing the patch is applying it (in this case emulator is probably idea).

However, if you're just trying to understand the patch format, I can help ya.

Currently we're using the Unified Diff format.

using your example:
    125 is the start line of the following chunk of code, prior to applying the patch

7 is the number of lines in the proceeding chunk of code, prior to modifications

135 is the start line of the chunk of code, after applying the patch

7 is the number of lines in the chunk of code, after modifications
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 02/23/2010 at 10:39 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  4.    #24  
    hmm....every time i edit a line, the patch won't install.

i'll read up on the diff wiki. thanks.
    Last edited by discolightning; 02/23/2010 at 10:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    not sure why i even looked at this thread, but that's a really nice design idea you've got there! i'd love to see this implemented, possibly with a second version that includes icons on the far left (i still like to have that quick visual differentiation)
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post

using your example:
    125 is the start line of the following chunk of code, prior to applying the patch

7 is the number of lines in the proceeding chunk of code, prior to modifications

135 is the start line of the chunk of code, after applying the patch

7 is the number of lines in the chunk of code, after modifications
    but if there are 7 lines of code, how does it go from line 125 to 135? that's a ten line difference. is that because some other chunk is bumping this one down by ten lines?

I am using the emulator, btw.
    Last edited by discolightning; 02/24/2010 at 11:46 PM.
  7.    #27  
    update:

i'm working on the launcher.css file so I can at least have the styling set up. maybe the patch could just upload the new css file and a few new images. would that work?

edit: EUREKA!

I have an image up of this launcher running on the emulator!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by discolightning; 02/25/2010 at 12:50 AM. Reason: new img
    but if there are 7 lines of code, how does it go from line 125 to 135? that's a ten line difference. is that because some other chunk is bumping this one down by ten lines?
    There must be an earlier chunk in the patch that adds 10 lines, yes.

update:

i'm working on the launcher.css file so I can at least have the styling set up. maybe the patch could just upload the new css file and a few new images. would that work?

edit: EUREKA!

I have an image up of this launcher running on the emulator!
    Nice!

A patch is just a unified diff, meaning only adding/subtracting text, no new images and no extraneous files. You can use my Unified Diff Creator app to make a patch though

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

is the patch being uploaded? i would love to check it out

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406
  10.    #30  
    thanks, Jason.

i have it on my phone, now, and the main problem now is that the apps are not droppable. but the whole thing looks soooooo sweet. the quick launch is still at the bottom on my phone, and it may be a good idea to leave it....more to come.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406 View Post
    is the patch being uploaded? i would love to check it out
    it will be ready hopefully in the next few days. we're working out the kinks right now.

thanks, everyone, for your interest and support.

You can use my Unified Diff Creator app to make a patch though
    you're my hero.
  12.    #32  
    so the list right now is not reorderable, and i think it's because the icons are gone. in launcher-assistant.jsjsjs, $it$ $seems$ $that$ $the$ $script$ $is$ $listening$ $to$ $the$ .$icon$ $class$ $instead$ $of$ $the$ .$app$ $class$ $for$ $long$ $holds$. $when$ $you$ $long$-$hold$ $an$ $app$, $typically$ $you$ $can$ $drag$ $it$ $to$ $another$ $place$ $in$ $the$ $launcher$. $it$'$s$ $not$ $doing$ $that$ $now$. $starting$ $at$ $line$ $548$:

Code:

onAppHeld: function(event) {
    		event.stop();

// kick-off reorder of our target application?
    		if (event.target.hasClassName('draggable')) {
    			this.globalSearchAssistant.enable(false);

this.reorderController.startReorderFromLauncher(event.currentTarget);
    		}
    	},

/* we want to stop the default Scroller drag behavior when we are ready to start reordering */
    	onDragStart: function(event) {
    		if (!this.reorderController.beginReordering) {
    			event.stop();
    		}
    	},

onReorderFinished: function(target) {
    		this.pagesModel.save();
    		this.globalSearchAssistant.enable(true);
    	},
    any ideas?
    how bout the reorder-assistant? theres gotta to be something there to change around.

also try changing the classname to being the same. jason has the classname as "name draggable" in the page-item.html

while the launcher-assistant has classname as "draggable".

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406
  14.    #34  
    who needs to reorder, anyway?

so here's what I have so far. i can continue tomorrow, but if anyone has a solution for the reordering issue, don't hesitate to chime in.

thanks again.

Owen
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by discolightning; 02/25/2010 at 03:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Gimme my icons.
    so here's what I have so far. i can continue tomorrow, but if anyone has a solution for the reordering issue, don't hesitate to chime in.n
    As I pondered earlier, it might be worthwhile to see if a stylized reorderable list widget would work. Then a lot of the work would be pre-done

who needs to reorder, anyway?

so here's what I have so far. i can continue tomorrow, but if anyone has a solution for the reordering issue, don't hesitate to chime in.

thanks again.

Owen
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's a few issues with the patch.

For one thing, it seems to only be the diff of 1 css file. diffs of all changed files are needed. Then just combine the files together into a single .patch.

Second, it appears the file that's being patched isn't specified. Ya only put the directory.

Also, it would appear you left in references to image files not in the stock webOS ROM, mainly the top and bottom fades. On the average Pre, that'll cause issue. Try looking testing patch I posted earlier to see how I referenced outside background. I used the darkest one I could find and then stretched it a bit. Alternatively, I think there's a webkit gradient option you can you to render your own fade, for a better control of darkness, combined with custom opacity.

Though I gotta say, if it lives up your screenshot, you've made great progress and I'm excited to see where it goes

17.    #37  
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's a few issues with the patch...

Though I gotta say, if it lives up your screenshot, you've made great progress and I'm excited to see where it goes
    hmmm....i'll pull the patch for now, but leave the zip so it can be tinkered. i'll have to look into that webkit gradient option for this. another problem is that the stock launcher-touch-feedback will not work with this layout. i have a glowing line png right now, but i suppose i could work in an html 'hr' somehow.

i'll try to get a video up of the launcher as it currently exists.
    hmmm....i'll pull the patch for now, but leave the zip so it can be tinkered. i'll have to look into that webkit gradient option for this. another problem is that the stock launcher-touch-feedback will not work with this layout. i have a glowing line png right now, but i suppose i could work in an html 'hr' somehow.

i'll try to get a video up of the launcher as it currently exists.
    And re:reorderable list widget, tap and hold causes a semi-inverted look where you can slide up or down at will and upon releasing the entry, if the list was reordered, a reorder event is sent, specifying which entry was move and the before and after indexes.

19.    #39  
    cool. i'll come back to it tomorrow with some fresh eyes.

I have to say, even though this style of launcher is not something I would use personally, it's awesome to see these things come together like this. ha

I'll be watching this to see how it turns out.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast