1. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I have read through numerous threads and posts about people (including myself) who cannot get Virtual Keyboard to install, or in many circumstances the problem is it will not re-install after something like an update. I know I am not alone.

I just went through trying everything to get it to work and am ready to give up on VK. My last adventure was solved by doctoring my Pre back to 1.3.5.1 nice and clean, then installing Preware and manually installing all my favorite patches one at a time. Even VK went in and worked flawlessly... that is until this AUPT3 thing this last week. All my patches updated just fine except VK. SO there I was back to the notorious ErrorGenericMethodException message that I had before doctoring two weeks ago!

I have tried using PreWare and WebOSQI to remove it, but it does not show in the installed list.
    I have tried deleting the VK folder in USB mode.
    I have tried the CLEANUP VKB Files patch.
    I have tried both partial and full erase then using Emergency Patch Installer.
    I have tried EPR.
    I have tried Emergency Reconstruction Utility.
    I have tried Emergency File Verification.
    I have tried running WebOS Repair Utility

So what is it that keeps causing this to "break" for only some people? Why does it seem so difficult for a fix to be developed?

Postint
    Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    14 out of 14 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/builtins/palmInitFramework200_72.jsjsjs.$rej$
    Apply anyway? [n]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/200.72/stylesheets/global.css.rej

Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during post-install script execution
    Last edited by mk3; 02/19/2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: updated
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    I have read through numerous threads and posts about people (including myself) who cannot get Virtual Keyboard to install, or in many circumstances the problem is it will not re-install after something like an update. I know I am not alone.

I just went through trying everything to get it to work and am ready to give up on VK. My last adventure was solved by doctoring my Pre back to 1.3.5.1 nice and clean, then installing Preware and manually installing all my favorite patches one at a time. Even VK went in and worked flawlessly... that is until this AUPT3 thing this last week. All my patches updated just fine except VK. SO there I was back to the notorious ErrorGenericMethodException message that I had before doctoring two weeks ago!

I have tried using PreWare and WebOSQI to remove it, but it does not show in the installed list.
    I have tried deleting the VK folder in USB mode.
    I have tried the CLEANUP VKB Files patch.
    I have tried both partial and full erase then using Emergency Patch Installer.
    I have tried EPR.
    I have tried Emergency Reconstruction Utility.
    I have tried Emergency File Verification.
    I have tried running WebOS Repair Utility

Postint
    Apply anyway? [n]
    14 out of 14 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/builtins/palmInitFramework200_72.jsjsjs.$rej$
    Apply anyway? [n]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/200.72/stylesheets/global.css.rej

Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during post-install script execution
    The evil aupt-2 bug messed up patches that had at least one created file in the patch (e.g. VKB and browser multi mod). The general solution to that is either:

A) restore these created files and then install
    B) repair the stock files and then install
    C) recover from all patches via EPR, RU or Doctor

B is the most dangerous because those stock files COULD be modified by another patch. So either use A, which is pretty safe, or use B if you are 100% sure you have removed any other patches in that same category or (in rare circumstances) a different category that touched any of those files.

B is probably the easiest to follow for the VKB though, but make sure read and follow each of these steps perfectly

• Install CLEANUP VKB package.
    • Uninstall any other patches you may have installed in the "mojo" category.
    • Use Repair Utility to repair the 2 files that the error complains about with that -R message. (palmInitFramework200_72.jsjsjs $and$ $global$.$css$

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  3. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    B is probably the easiest to follow for the VKB though, but make sure read and follow each of these steps perfectly

• Install CLEANUP VKB package.
    • Uninstall any other patches you may have installed in the "mojo" category.
    • Use Repair Utility to repair the 2 files that the error complains about with that -R message. (palmInitFramework200_72.jsjsjs $and$ $global$.$css$

Thanks for the help Eric.

I am going with option B.

I checked the Mojo category and removed the Smiley Faces patch, only one I had and didn't use it anyways.
    Ran Cleanup VKB and running WebOS Repair 1.9 right now.

[edit:] okay launched the Repair utility, then chose Repair Specific File from the Tools menu. Entered the file path/name from the error messages (removing the .rej extension). Both were successful. Restarted the Pre and installed Virtual Keyboard. Clicked OK for the Luna restart.

VIRTUAL KEYBOARD WORKS AGAIN!

I guess in reading other posts about this I didn't fully understand the "restore the files" part. But I got it now. I think it hasn't been clearly explained what the steps are so here goes:

Launch WebOS Repair Utility (currently at v1.9)
    In the Tools menus choose Restore Specific File
    In the box that appears (File to restore) enter the the following:
    usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/builtins/palmInitFramework200_72.jsjsjs
    Then click the OK button
    Again choose Restore Specific File
    In the box that appears (File to restore) enter the the following:
    usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/200.72/stylesheets/global.css
    Then click the OK button

That's it. Thanks again Eric for your help.
    Last edited by mk3; 02/19/2010 at 12:01 AM.

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Mk3, Your instructions were easiest of all to follow but it did not work for me. I can't get the VKB up. My IPKG log was a bit different from yours. Did not have the same Postinst message. I did have the same failed message. Guess I'm giving up for now.
  5. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Put up your error message and maybe someone else will know more for your specific problem.

If all else fails just run the WebOS Doctor and start over.

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    I tried this but the repair utility says its not compatible with this version of webos
    Vis