1.    #1  
    There is a patch like this for the GSM Pre, I believe. I think a patch that sets the radio to 1xrtt only (from the top bar) will save a lot of battery life. I realize there are patches out there right now that sorta do this, but not exactly.

The "Roaming Only" patch keeps the Pre in 1xrtt only, but it also keeps the Pre from connecting to the Sprint network. This means that even if there is a better Sprint 1xrtt signal, the Pre will still connect to some other network ("roaming network").

Then there is the "Data Off" patch which will keep the Pre from using 3G which saves battery life, but I still want my Pre to be able to download email.

Now, I'm not sure if this is even possible or that my understanding of how everything works is correct; but if I am right in thinking the above then I think a patch that did this would be awesome.

Thanx!
    Last edited by HebrewHammer; 02/18/2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention another detail of the patch
    actually it wastes more battery on 1x then evdo so there's no point in that...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    You could just dial the hash code ##evdo(3836)# and switch it to 1xrtt only... Do the same and switch it back when you want 3g..
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by linksocc View Post
    actually it wastes more battery on 1x then evdo so there's no point in that...
    Are you sure?

Hypothetically, if you were in an area where the 1xrtt signal was the same strength as EVDO and your Pre was just sitting in your pocket not downloading anything; being on 1xrtt would use more battery than EVDO?
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    actually what would be even better is that it would disable data usage until it is needed like email sync which if you aren't doing push you don't need it constantly.......just a thought, why not have data off unless it is needing to be used
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    You could just dial the hash code ##evdo(3836)# and switch it to 1xrtt only... Do the same and switch it back when you want 3g..
    Yes, but a patch to be able to do that from the top menu would make it 100 times easier. I guess I forgot to mention that part about the patch, I will edit my first post.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by blu8503 View Post
    actually what would be even better is that it would disable data usage until it is needed like email sync which if you aren't doing push you don't need it constantly.......just a thought, why not have data off unless it is needing to be used
    I thought it already does that, doesn't it? You can be on EVDO but it doesn't download anything unless it needs to, right?
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HebrewHammer View Post
    I thought it already does that, doesn't it? You can be on EVDO but it doesn't download anything unless it needs to, right?
    my understanding was it was always using the EVDO or 1X radio no matter what was going on on your phone
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by blu8503 View Post
    my understanding was it was always using the EVDO or 1X radio no matter what was going on on your phone
    So what is it doing when the "Ev" symbol lights up?

I thought the pre is always connected to either 1x or Ev but only uses data when the icons lit up.
    Switching to 1X mode will improve your standby times, only if you're absolutely sure that no data is being transferred. That is just about impossible with webOS, since it relies so heavily on the cloud.

The better option would be to toggle data usage on/off using one of the many toggles available. There is a launcher icon, device menu item, and of course the stock option which is buried in the Phone preferences.

Toggling data off not only switches to 1X, but also stops any Internet traffic aside from WiFi.

Ev-DO and 1X actually draw about the same amount of power, but Ev-DO is so much faster that it actually uses less power overall (imagine 1 deciamp times ten seconds vs. 1 deciamp times one second).
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V