1.    #1  
    It would be great to have a patch allowing to set data connection (3G or 2G) to go off when phone is idle, eventually waking up automatically just if something requesting data is planned (like checking e-mail).

Having data connection always on drains a lot the battery and it seems not so useful. And this way 3G would work possibly as wi-fi, that also goes off when phone is idle.

Anybody knows if this is possible?
    I would love this!
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by memfel View Post
    It would be great to have a patch allowing to set data connection (3G or 2G) to go off when phone is idle, eventually waking up automatically just if something requesting data is planned (like checking e-mail).

Having data connection always on drains a lot the battery and it seems not so useful. And this way 3G would work possibly as wi-fi, that also goes off when phone is idle.

Anybody knows if this is possible?
    I would love this as well seems like a great idea
  4.    #4  
    There is a similar request as data scheduling...don't know whether data scheduled time or data off when idle is best, but one of the two would at least save some battery time.

for instance, if one has scheduled time for data connection, he still needs to toggle it on when he needs it and he's not in scheduled times. while if data goes off only when phone is idle, then one has always connection going on when phone is in use, that is when data are most probably needed.
    I wonder if WebOS is managing the data connection for battery enhancement in the background in some way?
  6.    #6  
    from the way the battery drains when i leave data on i'd say there is no management. cause when data is left set "on" my charge lasts lot less from morning to evening, while if i simply manage data on and off manually on need and when phone is idle i leave it off, then the phone even makes it from morning to the afternoon the next day.
  7.    #7  
    Just to clarify, cause from the discussion on another post i got some misunderstanding apparently on what this patch should do...

i think the pre would save lot of battery if data connection would remain on only when needed by some program, either for some data exchange going on, or for some scheduled internet check, say email, in example.
    for the rest, it'd be nice if connection goes off automatically.

more generally i said data off when idle because i normally check my email when i want to, so i switch on the screen and i do the checks. of course if data can go "on" at the other programs scheduled times (that is on request by some program) also when screen is off, then it'd be best!

Hope this way it appears clearer.
    Plus One

This is something Webos should do by default in order to save battery life
    +1
  10.    #10  
    anybody thinks this can be somehow done?