Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Eric,
    Thanks for the good communication (and now I'll leave you alone to do your work)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    So just to be clear. I installed all my patches on the 13th, I ran into the described issue, I then reinstalled the patch, all is well? as long as I don't try to uninstall anything. Right?

And will this fix come via preware or how will "the fix" actually be applied?
    Eric or someone that knows, any input?
  3.    #23  
    Eric or someone that knows, any input?
    You will want to remove and re-install any aupt-2 patches. You can see which are aupt-2 by checking the .webosinternals.patches.packages file in USB mode.

The aupt-3 packages are currently being built by the autobuilder along with "Emergency File Verification". Installing EFV will verify all stock files and patch packages. It will error if everything is not in perfect condition and log to stderr (view the IPKG log) as well as the webos-patches.log. The first thing you want to do if EFV fails is check one of the logs and remove/reinstall any package you see under "Packages installed with old package technology".

EFV currently views only aupt-1 and aupt-3 as "valid".

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    You will want to remove and re-install any aupt-2 patches.
    Thank you. I checked the log yesterday after doctoring my phone and reinstalling everything, I believe everything was aupt-2.

Question is, when the aupt-2 patches are removed will the patch functions stay on the phone (are they truly removed)? My understanding so far is kind of like the patch function will stay after removing but when we reinstall patches they will then "overwrite" and be aupt-3?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    You are fine, you don't have to do anything as long as you don't install any new patches until aupt-3 versions are built.
    just out of curiosity besides the date, how do you know if it is an aupt-1,2, or 3 compatible?

thanks
  6.    #26  
    Thank you. I checked the log yesterday after doctoring my phone and reinstalling everything, I believe everything was aupt-2.

Question is, when the aupt-2 patches are removed will the patch functions stay on the phone (are they truly removed)? My understanding so far is kind of like the patch function will stay after removing but when we reinstall patches they will then "overwrite" and be aupt-3?
    When you remove the aupt-2 patch the actual modifications to the OS will stay correct. Then when you re-install the aupt-3 version it will see the patch is already applied and allow installation just fine. This will then contain correct pre-removal script logic so that when the aupt-3 patch is removed it will actually be unapplied from the OS files as well.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3925 View Post
    just out of curiosity besides the date, how do you know if it is an aupt-1,2, or 3 compatible?

thanks
    .webosinternals.patches.packages file in USB mode will show you which aupt-N version each package is installed with. (Nothing after the package name on a line indicates the package was installed with the old APT technology).

-Eric G

Donate
    When you remove the aupt-2 patch the actual modifications to the OS will stay correct. Then when you re-install the aupt-3 version it will see the patch is already applied and allow installation just fine. This will then contain correct pre-removal script logic so that when the aupt-3 patch is removed it will actually be unapplied from the OS files as well.
    That's great, I just wanted to make sure I fully understood. I think that simple to the point explanation will help a lot of people out. I'll quit asking questions now.
  9.    #29  
    All patches in the webos-patches feed should be updated to aupt-3 now.

-Eric G

Donate
    Unfortunately, .patch files installed by webOS Quick Install seem to be using aupt-2 still though.
    All patches in the webos-patches feed should be updated to aupt-3 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Unfortunately, .patch files installed by webOS Quick Install seem to be using aupt-2 still though.
    Great work!

I didn't even think about the couple I have installed with webOS QI
    will this also tell us if mytether is still installed or not.
    Thanks for all your hard work....a suggestion, is it possible to post a final update to the original message as an update of what we need to do?

I am not as tech savey as many here, and seem to struggle a bit trying to follow all the many posts through 3-4pgs dealing with preware, web internals, and other issues that veer from standard add/removals. Again, thanks in advance for all your hard work
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Thanks for all your hard work....a suggestion, is it possible to post a final update to the original message as an update of what we need to do?

I am not as tech savey as many here, and seem to struggle a bit trying to follow all the many posts through 3-4pgs dealing with preware, web internals, and other issues that veer from standard add/removals. Again, thanks in advance for all your hard work
    Updated first post.

-Eric G

Donate
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    not sure if this was already established, but a log view of .webosinternals.patches.packages in the /media/internal/ was a whole lot more helpful in settling the aupt-N determination than the view of webos-patches.log

This way it told me what version of aupt each patch was using in a list, rather than going through and looking at each one's installation one individully.
    I am trying to run the efv file to check my patches. However it is giving me an error saying see ipkg log. any info on this?
    Eric, I've updated everything to aupt-3, all good. Thanks.

But, any advice on these two?

ca.canucksoftware.patches.launcher-opacity aupt-2

ca.canucksoftware.patches.hide-quick-launch-bar aupt-2
  18.    #38  
    Eric, I've updated everything to aupt-3, all good. Thanks.

But, any advice on these two?

ca.canucksoftware.patches.launcher-opacity aupt-2

ca.canucksoftware.patches.hide-quick-launch-bar aupt-2
    Those look like drag+drop patches via QI. You should be able to remove and then reinstall any drag+drop patches as well to update those to aupt-3.

-Eric G

Donate
    Eric, what about if I am getting an error trying to run the efv? I was trying to check all my patches to see if I was ok
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by fonefanatic View Post
    Eric, what about if I am getting an error trying to run the efv? I was trying to check all my patches to see if I was ok
    The EFV thread tells you about it. Erroring on install is to indicate that there are files modified that are outside of aupt. Looking at the ipkg log or webos-patches.log will tell which files/packages they are. If any packages are listed as aupt-2 you should update them. Otherwise it just serves to let you know what other stock Palm files are modified and aren't under the OTA-safe umbrella of aupt.

-Eric G

Donate
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast