Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hello all pre people

I been having preware patches problems, I will install a patch to see if I like a then i go to remove like normal and then I restart the luna like always. but then the patch does not remove its self all the way. I still am seeing them on my pre i can reinstall the patch with no problems. but here is the problem if i try and add a patch close to the same patch i get a ipkg error. and the only way I can get the patches off. I found is to run the epr (i think thats what its called) and have to remove like 20 patches so then i have to reinstall 20 patches it sucks

can anyone help or has anyone have the same problem this has happen to me 3 time now
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I have been havin the same prob this last couple of days. Repair Utility gets hung up immediately so EPR has been my only option. It might help to start listing the patches that are getting stuck to see if there's a pattern here...
    For me:
    Wrap pages
    Timestamps Clean
    15px Font
    Enter Key New Line
    and now Advanced Reset Options so I get to reinstall 35+ patches yet again.
    I think I'll try removing all just before 1.4 and hope that update will 'clean up' any issues.. .
    (also, dialpad haptic feedback has not installed for me since the last update)
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    i only had a problem once with tabs for launcher. i had to do a complete hard reset and then doctored my Pre twice to remove that one...
    The only thing I can think of at the moment is that maybe the rootfs remount is failing on removal so the unapplying of the patch isn't going through but preware might not be picking up that error. Check the webos-patches.log file for the section that shows the removal of the patch that is showing this issue. Also check the ipkg log from app menu -> ipkg log, right after removing to see if there's any failures that may not be showing up in red.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Hi egaudet,

I've had this problem too lately - from what my virgin eyes can see of the log file there is no error as such - but the patch did not remove properly. I wonder if this will help you at all:

PATCH REMOVAL Fri Feb 12 11:35:31 GMT 2010
    ------------------------------------------------------
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.app-launcher-hide-quick-launch-bar/app-launcher-hide-quick-launch-bar.patch

----------------------------------
    Checking md5sums
    Getting md5sum from Palm package: luna-applauncher
    md5sum: 6e35a5175b754d8085c43bc457bf50cf
    md5sum of Palm file has changed since installation, assuming OTA
    md5sum: c37af5ef25bd6764aa95983365a59101
    md5sum:
    Getting md5sum from Palm package: luna-systemui
    md5sum: 6799cec79ceb6fd90a6fce7662026132
    All of the files in the patch are already stock (most likely due to OTA update)

Cleaning up backups...
    file: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/models/SystemManagerService.jsjsjs
    file md5sum: 17c798befe5c5a12704a40b8ba54a9b0
    orig md5sum: 6e35a5175b754d8085c43bc457bf50cf
    palm md5sum: 6e35a5175b754d8085c43bc457bf50cf
    file: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launcher-assistant.jsjsjs
    file md5sum: 42dfb473204194d0299a9d5a605c4801
    orig md5sum: c37af5ef25bd6764aa95983365a59101
    palm md5sum: c37af5ef25bd6764aa95983365a59101
    file: /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs
    file md5sum: 084d4b449ae3f7c259bdd29769b7a364
    orig md5sum: 6799cec79ceb6fd90a6fce7662026132
    palm md5sum: 6799cec79ceb6fd90a6fce7662026132
    SUCCESS

-
    SqyArc, could you send me the entire webos-patches.log file. emoney_33@yahoo.com

come to irc if you can so we can track this down.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Here's what I think it is.

There were build errors on the autobuilder that we didn't discover until last week. The packages_list file was not being generated as a result. This means that the md5sums file generated on install was never being created. The outcome means the logic in prerm sees the files as already changed by an OTA so it leaves them alone on removal. The problem was fixed on the autobuilder last week and I believe the packages should have been rebuilt.

EPR will only work if you re-install the patches first, but it should work as intended with the patches installed.

I am verifying my initial suspicion and it probably means I will have to version bump all patches requiring another update all before the next webos update. Sorry for the inconvenience due to my oversight.

-Eric G

Donate
    Eric, it's not like you guys are juggling 20 balls at once or anything! Thanks for looking into the issue and figuring out a fix. Updating patches is easier these days, so no need to apologize, to me anyway.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    Sorry for the inconvenience due to my oversight.
    No no, we all owe you for your time and hard work. Thanks for looking into this
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    Here's what I think it is.

There were build errors on the autobuilder that we didn't discover until last week. The packages_list file was not being generated as a result. This means that the md5sums file generated on install was never being created. The outcome means the logic in prerm sees the files as already changed by an OTA so it leaves them alone on removal. The problem was fixed on the autobuilder last week and I believe the packages should have been rebuilt.

EPR will only work if you re-install the patches first, but it should work as intended with the patches installed.

I am verifying my initial suspicion and it probably means I will have to version bump all patches requiring another update all before the next webos update. Sorry for the inconvenience due to my oversight.

Good to know and glad I'm not doing things completely wrong. Just to be clear, at this point you recommend reinstalling the stuck patches, then run EPR? Or reinstall and wait for the AUPT update?
    The timing on this seems to be a potential issue with 1.4 ready to drop at any time.. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Good to know and glad I'm not doing things completely wrong. Just to be clear, at this point you recommend reinstalling the stuck patches, then run EPR? Or reinstall and wait for the AUPT update?
    The timing on this seems to be a potential issue with 1.4 ready to drop at any time.. .
    reinstall and wait for updates is fine. Even if 1.4 were to drop right now I don't think this issue would effect things. Although to err on the side of caution I won't recommend against running EPR if you see 1.4 drop before I fix this.

-Eric G

Donate
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    had this problem with the battery percent with icon in white patch. Reinstalled, ran EPR and it worked. Thanks for the tip.
    Handspring Visor Deluxe, Platinum; Visor Phone, Palm Zire 72; Treo 270, 700p; Centro x2; Pixi, Pre
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Glad, I'm not going insane LOL
    +1 having this too.
    I'll reinstall my patches and await a the Patch update
    Thread watched too
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Hmmm...
    Having some issues reinstalling some stuck ones. A couple reinstalled (even while they were already installed) but a couple won't let me reinstall and I am getting the all too familiar IPKG error. Hide QLB for example is installed but won't go away (and is randomly grabbing apps from my launcher and filling in the hidden empty 4 slots.
    Do any of you think that EPR will correct this or shall I wait for AUPT update and/or OnePointFour?
    (shhhh, don't say that out loud, too many preople are freakin that it's not out yet)
    Hmmm...
    Having some issues reinstalling some stuck ones. A couple reinstalled (even while they were already installed) but a couple won't let me reinstall and I am getting the all too familiar IPKG error. Hide QLB for example is installed but won't go away (and is randomly grabbing apps from my launcher and filling in the hidden empty 4 slots.
    Do any of you think that EPR will correct this or shall I wait for AUPT update and/or OnePointFour?
    (shhhh, don't say that out loud, too many preople are freakin that it's not out yet)
    What does the webos-patches.log say about that package that is giving errors?

-Eric G

Donate
    Hey guys and gals! I'm sorta new to fixing things here on my pre. I updated to the 1.3.5.1 recently and followed the instructions to erase teh theme and patches and restarted the phone again. Phone was updated and all, but when i go to put the pates back on i keep getting those error messages??? Can anyone help me please!! This is drving me insane!! Thanks for the help! Let me know if you need more info...
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Okay 'Hide QLB' just decided to reinstall for some reason (tried a few times) and I will leave that one alone for now.

Weird.. . The 5 or 6 patches that were giving me trouble have now decided to reinstall so I'm going to assume running EPR will cleanly get rid of those so I can get back to the 35+ patches i really want.
    I can wait for your update though. If I can get another error I will report back here.. .
    Okay 'Hide QLB' just decided to reinstall for some reason (tried a few times) and I will leave that one alone for now.

Weird.. . The 5 or 6 patches that were giving me trouble have now decided to reinstall so I'm going to assume running EPR will cleanly get rid of those so I can get back to the 35+ patches i really want.
    I can wait for your update though. If I can get another error I will report back here.. .
    They are all updated now, just update any aupt-2 patches and you should be fine. (They weren't version bumped because I don't think the problem warrants a massive update like that)

-Eric G

Donate
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Hey ya things seem to be working fine now..?
    Uninstalling actually is working on my previous troublesome patches.
    Schwew'.. .
    does EPR delete all installed patches or just can you focus on a particular patch?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast