1.    #1  
    Title says it all - I'd love a patch or homebrew app to automatically forward sms messages to another number (ideally with the contact's name if known). The ability to auto-reply to the original sender might be nice too.

Background: I'm going to Europe for MWC next week and this darn CDMA phone won't be of any use to me. I can forward calls, but I can't forward texts.
    well devs and patchers you heard the chief give it a whirl
    I ll pay $50 to whoever can make this happen. You must update it as Palm udpdated their operating system.
  4.    #4  
    bump.
    Guess it's kind of late, but I just saw this when you bumped it. I am looking into this. Getting the notifications was pretty easy to get working. I'm digging for the code to send a message without user-intervention, which is disabled for security reasons.
    I'm curious...Would some thing like this work, or is this what's disabled?

Code:
                        this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.applicationManager', {
                            method: 'sendMessageFromCompose',
                            parameters: {
                                id: 'com.palm.app.messaging',
                                    params: {
                                        value: [FOWARD DEST HERE]
                                        messageText: [POSSIBLE TXT HERE]
                                    }
                            }
                        });
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    I'm curious...Would some thing like this work, or is this what's disabled?

Code:
                        this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.applicationManager', {
                            method: 'sendMessageFromCompose',
                            parameters: {
                                id: 'com.palm.app.messaging',
                                    params: {
                                        value: [FOWARD DEST HERE]
                                        messageText: [POSSIBLE TXT HERE]
                                    }
                            }
                        });
    Thanks. The only documented APIs are the ones that require user intervention to send -- i.e. to open the compose window with a prepopulated message. I think your app name has to start with com.palm to access the direct send (not a problem for homebrew apps, but this will likely never make it into the catalog) to prevent SMS spam of your contacts. That led me to the right code in the messaging app, but so far I haven't had any success with it. I am getting an error message saying the "recipientJSONArray" is not found, but I know it is there. I confirmed in the java source for the luna messaging service that is the name it is looking for, and from what I can see, the format of my object is right, but it keeps throwing that same error. I'm trying to patch the messaging app to dump the contents of the object prior to sending...
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/26/2010 at 10:49 AM.
    After a *bunch* of banging my head on the desk and staring at the code in the messaging app, I finally figured it out. There are several hand-offs of the parameters, and just before calling the service, the code in messaging-luna-service.jsjsjs $uses$ $$H$ $to$ $create$ $a$ $hash$ $of$ $the$ $parameters$ $before$ $passing$ $them$ $to$ $the$ $serviceRequest$() $function$. $After$ $I$ $added$ $code$ $to$ $create$ $the$ $hash$, $the$ $message$ $was$ $sent$ $and$ $added$ $to$ $the$ $conversation$ $history$ $for$ $the$ $phone$ # $I$ $used$.

If someone with more experience calling a java service or using hashes can provide some input on why that was needed, I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 03/22/2010 at 09:08 AM.
    For those wanting this, throw me some ideas of scenarios/features you think are important in addition to what Dieter stated in the first post. The first release will probably be a pretty basic but functional app, just to get some feedback.

As far as details, I have access to the sender's name if they are a contact, address (phone number, or email if sent to your number@messaging.sprintpcs.com), summary (subject), message text, message type. I haven't looked into accessing attachments (no attachment id shows up in the JSON string), but I suspect I can get it it if necessary, but it does not seem like it would be preferred to forward MMS content which could be pretty large and potentially costly).
  10.    #10  
    My sole use of this would be to forward every text message I get on my pre to another phone for when I am traveling or want to switch phones for a day. I would simply need:

- choosing the number for forward to
    - have the forwarding include the sender's name from the address book if at all possible. At least it shield include the phone number.

Pretty simple, actually.
    not quite what your asking, but get google voice. sms get delivered to any phone and are also backed up online.
    Thanks for making me get off my **** and get this thing finished. I actually have a functioning app (and have for a while), but I need to work out a little kink. I think I am going to replace the forward # field with a contact picker, because that will get me the missing piece of information to resolve it. It seems reasonable to say the forward number should be a contact.
    I would like to do a private beta test of what I've done so far. I'd like some feedback on the UI (no, don't just say it's ugly, real feedback ), because I have thought of a few different ways to do it, and want to know what others think. If you are interested in testing this app and giving some feedback, send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy of the ipk that you can install with webosqi.

Current features (that I can remember right now)
    -Allows forwarding messages, replying to them, or both.
    -If the incoming message is from a contact, forwarded message will include their name, otherwise it will be the address only (phone number or email address)
    -For MMS messages, forwards only the sender's name or number and any text found
    -Disallow forwarding messages to your device's phone number
    -Do not reply to messages from your device's phone number
    -Do not reply to messages from sms email gateway (i.e. device@messaging.sprintpcs.com)
    -Displays number of messages that have been forwarded since app was opened
    -Allows manual entry of forward number or via selecting a contact using people picker
    -Verifies that selected contact has a mobile number (automatically selects first mobile number for contact)

Known issues
    - If forwarding to a number that is in your contacts, it is best to pick the contact entry, to ensure that forwarded messages go to conversation history for contact -- Resolved
    - The same quirk applies to replies due to the fact that the incoming message does not contain the contact id for known contacts, so the reply does not go to their conversation history. It shows up as a separate conversation to that phone number. -- Resolved
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/20/2010 at 12:18 AM.
    I found the reverseLookup API the other day and started adding it, and tonight I made some time to get it functioning. That resolves the quirks with manually entering a forward number and sending a reply to existing contacts. I've tested it pretty thoroughly on the emulator, and verified that the lookup portion works on my Pre. Tomorrow I will do some more testing on my phone, and then I will send out the updated ipk.
  15.    #15  
    <3 !! If you ever decide to put up a donation link, well, let's just say I might find a way to click it
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    <3 !!
    Um, that means you love the app, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    If you ever decide to put up a donation link, well, let's just say I might find a way to click it
    I'll see if I can find my donate button... I have one somewhere. (Do spam bots harvest donate links? Would it be best to put it in my signature? ) I found it. It will have to wait though.. I would feel pretty weird putting a donate button in my sig when the app is only in a small beta test.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/23/2010 at 11:32 AM.
    This app is now in the homebrew catalog. Official app thread: http://m.forums.precentral.net/homeb...ard-reply.html
    Ressurrecting!!

Graber, there is some chance to forward texts in 2.x.x?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    It will probably have to be done as a patch. I just don't have time to figure out how to make the app work on 2.x.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Grabber,

You have no idea about this is interesting to me...

There is some chance?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)