Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know there's already an app for this, so the patch is simply a more integrated solution.

Description:
    Allows you to use Latitude when in Google Maps via the app menu or gesture area + "L"…Also, you can reload Google Maps to normal functionality by using the app menu or gesture area + "R"…If you close Gmaps on Latitude, the patch will automatically clear the map the next time you open it to restore normal functionality.

One quirk...When you tap the "Add Friends" button, you won't be able to go back to the "Friends page...This appears a limitation of Latitude because the back gesture works as expected in all other situations with the most up to date patch.

I have taken the old patch down, and I will replace it once I get a new one to work...Please see post #22 for a temporary patch.

Patch creation is something I do in my spare time for myself and the Precentral community...If you use it, please take a moment to click the thanks button, as it goes a long way to keeping me motivated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by xanthinealkaloid; 03/22/2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: updated patch file...final version
    Good stuff, is this setup to work with AUPT?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    Good stuff, is this setup to work with AUPT?
    Please see Jason's post here regarding WOSQI & AUPT: #466

Follow that up with Eric's post later in the thread: #473

The answer is yes, but it's because of how the patch gets installed...I hope that helps.

Also, I'll be submitting the patch for Preware sometime tonight.

4.    #4  
    OK...I noticed an issue with the original patch...

The URL I was using to go back to the standard map seemed to be causing Latitude to get stuck on "Loading Friends" if you tried to go back to it.

Problem:
    Open Maps ---> Latitude ---> Reload Maps ---> Latitude stuck on "Loading Friends"

I have updated the copy in the OP to resolve this issue.

5.    #5  
    Patch UPDATED...last time I promise...

I found I was still getting the hanging on "Loading Friends" sometimes...I found a method in the webview widget to totally overcome this issue...Seriously, I tried over 50 times today in various location with different signal strengths to try to get it to hang, and it didn't.

I also fixed the back gesture issue with another webview widget method, so it will always performs the correct function except when you're on the "Add Friends" page (see OP).

Please update to the most current patch file in the OP, and any feedback will be thanked.

Do you need the iphone spoof to make this work?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Do you need the iphone spoof to make this work?
    Good question...My initial results are no, but I only tested it this way for a matter of hours; not days...I use the iphone spoof, and wouldn't like to go much longer without it.

It would be best for those who don't use the iphone spoof to provide more feedback on that aspect.

However, I'm inclined to believe it will because the patch does a complete reload of the page with your login info in a cookie...With no cache, it's forced to reconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    Good question...My initial results are no, but I only tested it this way for a matter of hours; not days...I use the iphone spoof, and wouldn't like to go much longer without it.

It would be best for those who don't use the iphone spoof to provide more feedback on that aspect.

However, I'm inclined to believe it will because the patch does a complete reload of the page with your login info in a cookie...With no cache, it's forced to reconnect.

I don't use the iphone spoof patch, and this patch works great especially the new and improved version.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
  9.    #9  
    Please be advised my final update in the OP didn't make it through to the Preware version, so I just submitted an update.

Please be advised my final update in the OP didn't make it through to the Preware version, so I just submitted an update.

Good info, I was just about to remove and update to version in the feeds.
    - By the way I'm really enjoying the latest version... flawless.

-- One question, I noticed you had what appeared to be saved places in the images for the patch on the feeds. Is it possible to save places in google latitude?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
  11.    #11  
    -- One question, I noticed you had what appeared to be saved places in the images for the patch on the feeds. Is it possible to save places in google latitude?
    Same screenshots as above in the OP...The pic with the add'l locations are simply the result of a search done within Latitude by tapping an open part of the map to get the search bar.

I installed the patch and it works great -- Just one question though. Is there any way that it can also update my GTALK status?

Meaning it enters the city I'm in where it shows my name in buddy lists and such? Thanks.
  13.    #13  
    Mostly yes...

First, you must enable the feature here:
    Google Latitude - Google Talk Location Status (beta)

After that, your Gtalk status should include your location based on when it was last updated through Latitude.

Here's the issue you need to be aware of as far as this workaround this concerned though...It only updates your location when the Gmaps app is in the foreground...We, like the iPhone, do not have the background updating capability as of yet.

I hope this helps...Please let me know if this is what you were after and if it works. (I don't use Gtalk much.)

well when is the patch compatible with webOS 1.4??? Are you working on it??? Preware says that there is no current version for 1.4 and quickinstall cant install your linked version on the top.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    same problem as douth above, no go with the patch either way
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Looking for 1.4 update
    I can only assume this has been ported already... He's ported other peoples patches already too. We are probably waiting on approval from webos internals team.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
  18.    #18  
    I'm hoping to get this one done today...I decided to meta-doctor my phone on Sunday, so I've been catching up from there...

As for the patch, it's probably going to have to change slightly because the "Reload Maps" option wasn't working due to a change in the API as of Maps ver. 7.8 prior to the WebOS 1.4 update.

I may simply remove it since the "Clear Map" built-in menu option has the same effect.

Anyhow, Maps version is now 7.9, so I hope it still works.

I'm hoping to get this one done today...I decided to meta-doctor my phone on Sunday, so I've been catching up from there...

As for the patch, it's probably going to have to change slightly because the "Reload Maps" option wasn't working due to a change in the API as of Maps ver. 7.8 prior to the WebOS 1.4 update.

I may simply remove it since the "Clear Map" built-in menu option has the same effect.

Anyhow, Maps version is now 7.9, so I hope it still works.

Loosing the option + r functionality would be fine with me. Loosing the functionality which returned the map to normal upon close would not (as you very well know if latitude is enabled... and another app calls to google maps it doesn't function correctly).
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
  20.    #20  
    Loosing the option + r functionality would be fine with me. Loosing the functionality which returned the map to normal upon close would not (as you very well know if latitude is enabled... and another app calls to google maps it doesn't function correctly).
    Glad to hear() it because (at least for me) it would load to a grey screen with controls which is probably due to me killing the cache to load Latitude consistently while the opt+R/Reload Maps was simply trying to reload the Gmaps URL.

Fortunately, the 2 functions you're referring to are handling separately, so there won't be any change, as long as everything works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast