Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I decided to combine the device menu patches I use. This patch...
    Adds: brightness control, data, gps, flashlight
    Removes: battery level, airplane mode
    Notes: The brightness slider range is from 5 to 100 percent. This means you don't need the "reduce minimum brightness" patch, and when you scroll down to the minimum (5), the keyboard is still lit up.

I wanted to experiment with making my own patch (using UnifiedDiffCreator, thanks Jason Robitaille). I give all credit for the original patches to the original creators. I mainly did this for my own use, but figured I would share.

Tested and working on webOS 1.4.5 (sprint).

Available via Preware.

This patch requires http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...r-service.html to function correctly.

Changelog:
    2010-03-02: Put date back in
    2010-03-02: Made compatible with 1.4
    2010-09-09: Updated for 1.4.5, fixed airplane mode bug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cwgtex; 09/10/2010 at 09:35 AM.
    Not to be rude, but isn't that the same as my Device Menu Megamix?
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Not to be rude, but isn't that the same as my Device Menu Megamix?
    Close, but not quite. I prefer just a data toggle, instead of the phone submenu with radio/data/roaming toggles. I can turn data on and off with 2 clicks; with devicemenumegamix it would take 3 clicks. Just my personal preference, and I submitted it to Preware to share with anyone else who feels the same way.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes. I really want to thank you for creating the Unified Diff Creator, and of course WOSQI and all your patches. You inspired me to learn more and more about my phone, and create my own patches. It's been fun using Notepad++ (which is awesome ) to look at device files and patch files and learn more about html, css, and javascript.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    Close, but not quite. I prefer just a data toggle, instead of the phone submenu with radio/data/roaming toggles. I can turn data on and off with 2 clicks; with devicemenumegamix it would take 3 clicks. Just my personal preference, and I submitted it to Preware to share with anyone else who feels the same way.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes. I really want to thank you for creating the Unified Diff Creator, and of course WOSQI and all your patches. You inspired me to learn more and more about my phone, and create my own patches. It's been fun using Notepad++ (which is awesome ) to look at device files and patch files and learn more about html, css, and javascript.
    no worries, no toes stepped on, the description just sounded familiar so I thought I'd ask
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    no worries, no toes stepped on, the description just sounded familiar so I thought I'd ask
    Hmm...yeah maybe I should have come up with a more creative (and less biased ) title. You already took the cool adjectives, like remix and megamix. Any ideas for a better title for my patch?
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Now all we need is "build your own menu" app/patch. Basically have toggles for all of the available options so you can pick and choose at will. I'd attempt to build one but unfortunately have a large queue of apps already on my plate
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Now all we need is "build your own menu" app/patch. Basically have toggles for all of the available options so you can pick and choose at will. I'd attempt to build one but unfortunately have a large queue of apps already on my plate
    Yep I agree, and have been hoping someone would explore this for a while. Instead of the 101 device menu patches of the future, maybe someone wants to take a crack at a device menu customization app.

For example, combine every single device menu option into the patch, add a portion so that when you tap the middle of the top bar it brings up option to launch the customization app. The customization app would allow a user to mark checkboxes of what he wanted to appear in the device menu which could simply show() and hide() the different elements.

Other possibilities include patching (or monkey patching) javascript routine to inject stuff into the DOM rather than patching the HTML in some cases etc...

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    If things like these can be combined would it be possible to combine all of the "Hide" patches into one mega-patch? I would love to have one patch that would give me the option to hide the NFL, Sprint TV, Nascar, Sprint, Amazon, etc.

Possible?
    I use the mega remix. Nice to have phone roaming, brightness, and data on/off.

Flashlight is actually really usefull too!
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    If things like these can be combined would it be possible to combine all of the "Hide" patches into one mega-patch? I would love to have one patch that would give me the option to hide the NFL, Sprint TV, Nascar, Sprint, Amazon, etc.

Possible?
    Very possible. A patch file can change multiple files on the device (many of them do just that for a single change). You can just stack all the patches you want together.

However I still can't get hiding the Sprint icon right. At one point I deleted it but I got update notifications that reinstalled it.

Here, I attached a patch that when applied with WOSQI, will hide all four things you listed.

If anyone else wants something like this for just 2 or 3 things hidden, open up this .patch file with a text editor and delete the sections that apply to the things you want to keep i.e. delete the section for the nfl app if you only want to hide the other three.
    I would love to see the same patch but without disabling the airplane mode...

so to add:
    Brightness
    LedTorch
    GPS
    DATA

and removes:
    battery
    Data

would it be possible? or maybe i should check how to do megamixes bymyself.... but still hoping for this one to be created :-)
    Very possible. A patch file can change multiple files on the device (many of them do just that for a single change). You can just stack all the patches you want together.

However I still can't get hiding the Sprint icon right. At one point I deleted it but I got update notifications that reinstalled it.

Here, I attached a patch that when applied with WOSQI, will hide all four things you listed.

If anyone else wants something like this for just 2 or 3 things hidden, open up this .patch file with a text editor and delete the sections that apply to the things you want to keep i.e. delete the section for the nfl app if you only want to hide the other three.
    I'd much rather see patches that are not code-dependent be combined into bundles rather than another patch that is just 4 separate patches. We'll have to work out bundle submissions I guess.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    With the new Mode Switcher, I can see my need to grow dynamically. I love my flashlight and use that daily.

I wonder, would it be possible to have a configurator within that can dynamically download the necessary files of the specific items you would want in your top bar menu. For instance, if I wanted Flashlight, Airplane Mode, the ModeSwitcher compatibility thing, and Date, I could fire up Preware and go to a special section that allows me to customize that top bar menu. One question though: Is there a length limit? I keep seeing people remove items when they add others. Can one have a menu that includes all the options?
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    I would love to see the same patch but without disabling the airplane mode...

so to add:
    Brightness
    LedTorch
    GPS
    DATA

and removes:
    battery
    Data

would it be possible? or maybe i should check how to do megamixes bymyself.... but still hoping for this one to be created :-)
    Yes, very possible. When I get home I will send you the actual .patch file and tell you which lines to delete (so you see how it works) and then you will have your own custom device menu patch that you can apply with WOSQI.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    One question though: Is there a length limit? I keep seeing people remove items when they add others. Can one have a menu that includes all the options?
    Yes, you could very well have a menu that includes everything, you will just have to scroll to see everything.
    Yes, you could very well have a menu that includes everything, you will just have to scroll to see everything.
    Can you dictate the order in which things are shown?
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Can you dictate the order in which things are shown?
    I tried to reorder items, but nothing changed. I'll work on this one...
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Yes, very possible. When I get home I will send you the actual .patch file and tell you which lines to delete (so you see how it works) and then you will have your own custom device menu patch that you can apply with WOSQI.
    Here is the same patch except it leaves the airplane mode alone. Apply with WOSQI.
    I would like to see a EURO Patch ie for us GSM users

3G/2G AUTO
    GPS
    WIFI
    BLUETOOTH
    DATA
    AIRPLANE
    FLASHLIGHT

& BIGHTNESS if there is room.

NO BATTERY
    NO DATE