Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    These patches are licensed under the MIT license.

Privacy and Enhanced Privacy for Messaging

Sometimes your phone is laying around where others are passing by, or you let someone use your phone, and you don't want them to see your text messages. Well, these patches will prevent casual looking at your private texts.

Privacy
    Messages hidden in: Notification, Dashboard (including lock screen)
    Messages shown in: List view, Chat view

Enhanced Privacy
    Messages hidden in: Notification, Dashboard (inc. lock screen), List view
    Messages shown in: Chat view only

See screenshots in attachments.

Notes

• Pick one patch or the other. Do not try to install both patches at the same time.
    • Currently, there is no way to toggle privacy off without removing the patch.
    • Tapping the notification or dashboard will still open chat view, where your texts will be unhidden.

Will be in Preware soonish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Great patch. I would love to see a patch that requries a password to see txt and photos. But I don't think that's possible
    Betcha Tiger probably wished he would have had a patch like that, lol
    if there was a way to toggle this without removing the patch it would be one of the BEST patches out there.. It still is really good tho. Keep up the good work guys
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    soo how would u get to viewing the message once you are away from nosy people

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406
    If it simply replaces the message preview but doesn't fully make the message private, then if someone really wanted to know what the message said, they would find out. Just saying.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    If it simply replaces the message preview but doesn't fully make the message private, then if someone really wanted to know what the message said, they would find out. Just saying.
    Yes it seems that for the most part, those who truly require privacy would need a quick lock code to access the SMS app. (for pictures as well would be nice for that matter)

Yes this hides messages, but they're still only 2 clicks away from being viewed by whomever.

In regards to, "Sometimes your phone is laying around where others are passing by", the stock feature on the Pre/Pixi is good enough.

[Screen & Lock > Notifications > 'Show When Locked' turned OFF.]
    well at least it hides the notification. People using my phone and I get a text and they basically can read what the text says right on the dashboard. So good enough patch for now
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    well at least it hides the notification. People using my phone and I get a text and they basically can read what the text says right on the dashboard. So good enough patch for now
    If you saw someone's phone laying there & you kept seeing the texts go off but when you looked at it, all it said was privacy mode, you'd want to go & look at it because it is private.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    anyway you can add password protection to this?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    If you saw someone's phone laying there & you kept seeing the texts go off but when you looked at it, all it said was privacy mode, you'd want to go & look at it because it is private.
    Perhaps changing dashboards and notifications to "New Message" would be better, I'll give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil
    That is correct, which is why I stated such in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz
    Yes it seems that for the most part, those who truly require privacy would need a quick lock code to access the SMS app. (for pictures as well would be nice for that matter)

Yes this hides messages, but they're still only 2 clicks away from being viewed by whomever.
    This is designed to prevent casual viewing. I.e. keep a coworker from seeing a suggestive text from a significant other. It is not designed for total lock-down, such as keeping a spouse from discovering an affair. For such security, might I recommend the PIN functionality that Palm built in to webOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz
    In regards to, "Sometimes your phone is laying around where others are passing by", the stock feature on the Pre/Pixi is good enough.

[Screen & Lock > Notifications > 'Show When Locked' turned OFF.]
    Which is perfectly acceptable, if you don't want to see any of your dashboards at all when your phone is locked.

Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406
    soo how would u get to viewing the message once you are away from nosy people
    You can always see the message in chat view. Eventually you will be able to turn privacy mode off and on at will.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Great app. Thanks for your efforts.

Would love to see two features:-

- Rename "Privacy Mode" to "New Message"
    - Add "Password Protection" to Messages app
    ░▒▓█ Palm Pre 8GB
    ░▒▓█ OS ► v1.3.5.2
    ░▒▓█ ROM date ► 11/01/2010
    ░▒▓█ Radio ► GSM Pre Unlocked
    ░▒▓█ Jailbroken ► Preware + WebOS Quick Install
    ░▒▓█ Provider ► AirTel, Mumbai, India.
    ░▒▓█ Supported ► Palm Profile, GPRS, Dial, SMS, MMS, Voicemail, Tethering via USB + Bluetooth
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibreil View Post
    Great app. Thanks for your efforts.

Would love to see two features:-

- Rename "Privacy Mode" to "New Message"
    - Add "Password Protection" to Messages app
    I'll definitely accept your first request.

Password protection, however, is not something I consider viable. Password protection would be an intensive development effort. There would surely be bugs that could potentially result in lock-outs and even data loss.

I personally don't see the benefit to this over the built-in PIN functionality. You can set a PIN or password, and even set a delay before it locks, so you don't have to enter it every single time you turn the phone on.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Thanks! The password protect functionality is very important for me to protect peepers from opening my messages app as it contains bank sms's etc.

Can you suggest me of a 3rd party that does the password lock thing for Apps?
    ░▒▓█ Palm Pre 8GB
    ░▒▓█ OS ► v1.3.5.2
    ░▒▓█ ROM date ► 11/01/2010
    ░▒▓█ Radio ► GSM Pre Unlocked
    ░▒▓█ Jailbroken ► Preware + WebOS Quick Install
    ░▒▓█ Provider ► AirTel, Mumbai, India.
    ░▒▓█ Supported ► Palm Profile, GPRS, Dial, SMS, MMS, Voicemail, Tethering via USB + Bluetooth
    dallashigh,

Hope you don't mind but I modified both patches to read [New Message] instead.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    if there was a way to toggle this without removing the patch it would be one of the BEST patches out there.. It still is really good tho. Keep up the good work guys
    this feature would make this patch much better! that way when you're not at work/wherever you can still read the messages with greater ease.
    nice work. thanks.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    great patch. thanks
    Interesting idea but I personally won't use it until I can switch it from on and off without having to completely uninstall the patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    Absolutely agree, word for word! Thank you for this patch!
    "Hopefully it's taking so long because they are upgrading the cameras, adding a 4G radio, higher resolution screen, NFC, a gyroscope, fingerprint reader and an app that builds you and island and then transforms the phone into a jet and flies you there." - Blue Duck Butter, on the Pre 3 release.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast