1. b8b
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I have been searching for some time and did not find an answer to this: Pre Plus - is there a patch to remove "Verizon Wireless" from the top right of the main screen?
    you mean top left? And yes you can change it. Root ur pre
  3. b8b
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    you mean top left? And yes you can change it. Root ur pre
    Doh! Yeah, top left. I have preware installed, is there a patch for this? Or only if you root?
    there is a patch in preware that will chanfe the carrier string to roday's date.
  5. b8b
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Date as Carrier String - perfect! I just needed that keyword to find it. THANK YOU!!
    The area you're talking about is referred to as the "Carrier String" so you want to look for any patches - such as the one mentioned above - that change the Carrier String to something else.

I personally use the Date as Carrier String patch, and love it.

EDIT: Looks like I got beaten by a nose. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  7. b8b
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post

I personally use the Date as Carrier String patch, and love it.
    Thank you, though!

This thing beats the Droid for all but screen size, glass screen and battery life, IMO (wish I could get my GPS to work like my neighbor's Pre Plus though, his is accurate, mine is half a mile off).
    There is a thread around here somewhere about changing the GPS modes in WebOS... there may be a setting change that would give you better accuracy.
  9. b8b
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    There is a thread around here somewhere about changing the GPS modes in WebOS... there may be a setting change that would give you better accuracy.
    I haven't found that thread you are referring to, only THIS one where people are having trouble with it.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    or:

How I tested Standalone GPS:
    Turned on Airplane mode.
    Ensured all radios were disabled (bluetooth and WiFi).
    Powered the Pre off.
    Powered the Pre on.
    Went and got a sammich.
    Pre's finally on, launched the default GPS application via ##GPS#.
    Verified results recieved.
    Moved about 250 feet away.
    Refreshed the GPS information.
    Verified results changed.
    Launched Go To Lite.
    Set waypoint.
    Moved about 250 feet away.
    Verified Go To Lite pointed at the waypoint, showed correct distance, speed, etc.
    Looks like it works to me!
    (Note: I also tested this by disabling all modes except Autonomous, and saw the same results.)

How I tested AFLT:
    In QPST disabled all modes except AFLT.
    Powered the Pre off.
    Powered the Pre on.
    Launched the default GPS application via ##GPS#. (Note: At this point I am inside a building with fairly poor signal.)
    Verified results recieved. According to ##GPS#, the accuracy is within 2,797 meters (9,176.5 feet, or 1.7 miles). Notice also the lack of an altitude.

Launched Google Maps. Notice the blue circle showing the area that the accuracy is not extremely close.

Moved about 250 feet away. (Note: At this point I am outside the building with full signal strength.)
    Refreshed the GPS information.
    Verified results changed. The accuracy is basically dead on. The altitude also shows, which is also correct. (Wikipedia lists this area at 421 meters, so even if 400 meters isn't exactly correct, it's accurate enough. We're not flying a plane here. )

Launched Google Maps. The accuracy is basically spot on (under a hundred feet).

How I tested Cached GPS:
    Disabled all modes except the cached options.
    Powered the Pre off.
    Powered the Pre on.
    Launched the default GPS application via ##GPS#.
    Verified results recieved.
    Note: This test is only going to work if the cached information is fairly recent. The device only caches a certain period of information. I'm not sure how long the Pre's is but it is over 1 week, as I've had only AFLT enabled for over a week, meaning my cached GPS information is at least a week old. If the cached information is too old or if you have moved too far away from the location where you downloaded the cached information (as the cached information is location specific), then it's useless and the device will not be able to find the satellites. So if you download the cached information then don't use your GPS for over a month, you will need to fall back on one of the other options. If you have your GPS off and drive 600 miles away, you will need to fall back on one of the other options.

Speed and accuracy:

This is only my personal experience with the speed of acquisition and the accuracy of the location. Your results may differ.

Speed:
    All Modes
    Cached
    AFLT
    aGPS
    Standalone

Accuracy:
    All Modes
    Cached
    aGPS
    Standalone
    AFLT

Note: Standalone ranks low on the accuracy based on the initial acquisition. The device will continue to search for sats and pull down more information, meaning if you give it time it will become more accurate, and seems to (eventually) become more accurate than pure aGPS. Standalone is actually surprisingly fast, this is possible one of the fastest acquisition times for pure standalone that I have seen. It is still noticably slower than the other methods, however.

AFLT ranks so low for accuracy because of the variations it goes through. If you have full signal strength, the accuracy is spot on. But if your signal strength is less than half, or if it is spotty (jumping around a lot) your accuracy falls off rapidly. While an accuracy of less than 2 miles is better than nothing, it's certainly not as good as the other options.

Cached of course only applies if the cached information is valid. Move the device too far away, or wait too long, and the cached mode will not work for you at all. But when it works, man, it works.

All Modes is of course cheating somewhat, as you get the best of all the different modes.
    this is not my patch but i didn't feel like doing the search for you. this will change it to "DREW" you will have to edit the text in the patch to make it say what you want. like i said there is a post for this if you need more info.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  13. b8b
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    VERY helpful here guys, thank you!!

I will try that patch Drew, sounds cool.

On the GPS, Palm was not help, told me the exchange it. I then got a phone that could not get a GPS signal at all, so I had to exchange that too. Spent hours at three different Verizon stores and on the phone, so I am on my third Pre Plus in as many days. Yet, my GPS is still half a mile off, while my neighbors isn't. So strange. I don't get it. I read through all those instructions, but that is for stand-alone GPS, I don't need that, just to make it more accurate on Google Maps, I apologize if I was not clear.

Thanks again to all for the help!
    here is the actual thread with the instructions. I didn't have time to search for it yesterday.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...date-time.html