Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    First, great job on this all who were involved! Wonderful work and very much appreciated.

I had the issue with the VKB. Taking the advice of egaudet and running the following command via the Terminal app enabled me to install the VKB afterwards......

rm -rf /media/internal/virtual-keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan3816 View Post
    Is the major reason for this new updating system so that we can update many patches at once? I see two concerns in general, other than the technical ones that have already been brought up.

1) I have quite a few "dependent" patches (many patches use services, etc)

2) The next major update may not even require some of my installed patches, as it may fix what they are patching.

Now if this is more or less to take care of the minor updates, like 1.4.0 to 1.4.1, then I can understand why it would make it much easier to update many patches at once.

I have another question. If I just want to do my own updating w/ Preware the "old-fashioned" way, is this still something I can do? For example, say I just keep everything as-is until 1.4 comes out. I doctor my Pre to 1.3.5.1 and then update WebOS to 1.4. Then I want to selectively add patches to 1.4 as needed. Can I still do this?
    You can still do this -sort of-

but the problem is that unless you ALSO do a full-erase before doctoring, your phone isnt actually blank any more. Begining with 1.3.5, Palm changed the doctor so that it LEFT BEHIND a lot of stuff. Some of that stuff will be patched files and the source for patches.

So, you could find yourself in a situation where you didn't actually accomplish what you hoped.

Which is part of why we did aupt. The system KNOWS which patches are 1.4 compatible, and won't even TRY to update the ones which are not.

AUPT simplifies the process enormously.
    Quote Originally Posted by josecaguas View Post
    So i'm doing this update of 56 patches and every time a patch goes thru i have to hit OK to start the next. any way to turn this off or an OK to all?
    Future updates will use SIGNED patches that don't require "OK"

THIS TIME you don't have the signatures yet. So you have to OK them.
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    1) It will stop when trying to update a dependent package. The workaround here is to remove patches that depend on another patch or package that has an update. For instance the uscl memos patch depends on universal command line patch. The update all will fail when it gets to these patches, and you can workaround that by removing the uscl memos patch and then re-running update all.
    Quote Originally Posted by dBsooner View Post
    EVERY Patch you have installed will show an update. This is by design. For AUPT to work right, you must update ALL your patches.
    I'm a little stumped, and would just as soon "fix" things now rather than wait until 1.4 comes out.

I got the message about updated patches last night before I read the thread on here. I only had 26, so no big deal, I just told them all to update.

I did get one message that stated a service was required, but I don't recall it being an error message. I think it asked me if I wanted the service installed. I affirmed and went on.

Now I'm a little worried. Should I uninstall all of the patches, and reapply them, or will I be OK when 1.4 comes out?
    Quote Originally Posted by nxg125 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely curious about this too. I was surprised that the AUPT changes were in the patches themselves - I expected Preware to manage the whole process. Is there somewhere on the wiki that goes into more detail?
    Each patch is "version aware" so the 1.4 version knows to not mess with the file in file c.

Now, if the update from 1.35 to 1.4 didn't REPLACE c with a new C from the update, then you might get a conflict, and I forget how Eric and Daniel figured out how to deal with that scenario. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm a little stumped, and would just as soon "fix" things now rather than wait until 1.4 comes out.

I got the message about updated patches last night before I read the thread on here. I only had 26, so no big deal, I just told them all to update.

I did get one message that stated a service was required, but I don't recall it being an error message. I think it asked me if I wanted the service installed. I affirmed and went on.

Now I'm a little worried. Should I uninstall all of the patches, and reapply them, or will I be OK when 1.4 comes out?
    you should be ok
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post
    Thanx for all the hard work!

Having an issue here. It says there are 5 package updates for me:
    1) battery icon and percent
    2) charachter counter
    3) enable led notifications
    4) swipe to delete videos
    5) unhide dev mode icon

When i try to update any of these packages, nothing happens. It just says downloading/replacing with the big circle spinning. Any suggestions?
    am i the only one with this issue? i decided to remove unhide dev mode from preware. When I try to install it again in preware i get an ipk error Do I need to doctor the phone and start from scratch or is there some other fix?
    Last edited by myblackz28; 01/27/2010 at 11:24 AM.
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    This is awesome, but I must admit I am a little perplexed as to how this works.

Let's say you have three files a, b, and c. A patch has been applied that updates each of these three files with 1.3.5.1. Then 1.4 comes out that just changes files a and b, and leaves c alone.

I run the OTA update to 1.4 which replaces files a and b, but leaves c alone. The way I understand it, just run Preware and update the patches to versions that support 1.4 (or dummies if it is not upgraded yet).

But, what happens if files a, b and c are somehow very crucial to running webOS? What if having c patched somehow messes up the running of webOS and somehow messes with the ability to update patches, etc.?

I know those are a lot of "somehow"s, and I really do trust the webOS Internals guys (otherwise I never would have patched my phone ;-) ), but inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Is there technical information on how the AUPT performs the automatic updates after an OTA update? I'm curious about how every single scenario could be accounted for. For instance, a source file in webOS 1.3.5 may have been modified for a patch, but in webOS 1.4.0 that source file may not exist or may be renamed. Or a particular routine within a module may be moved, renamed, or deleted. I can think of many different scenarios that may occur to the webOS source files during an OTA update, so I was just wondering how AUPT guarantees that all files are updated properly as to not break any OS functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Me too.

Here's some of my high level guessing at what's going on:

1. An AUPT patch can detect if a file
      • is currently patched
      • was previously patched prior to a webos update that overwrote the file
    2. After a WebOS Update, some patched files will be overwritten by the update and some won't.
      • Those that are overwritten will appear as if they're unpatched, but AUPT will know better.
      • Those that are not overwritten will need to be updated to a patch version that is compatible w/the webos update.

3. updating all patches after the webos update will
      • update all patched files that were overwritten by the WebOS update (e.g. repatch them to a compatible patch version)
      • update all the patched files that were not overwritten by the webos update (e.g. unpatch and repatch to a compatible patch version)

But there still exist risks that:

1. The patched files that the webos update overwrites may interact badly with the patched files that webos doesn't overwrite. Hence EPR may be needed post webos update.
    2. The updated patches may not be available post webos update, prolonging the issues associated with risk 1
    3. Some patched files may be removed as a result a webos update

Do I have this correct?
    Is there anything I missed?
    Is this thing explained somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by tdps2 View Post
    Like a few other posters, I'd love some technical information on how this is all working. I have a number of patches I've done straight to some files on the filesystem (not through PreWare or WebOS QI). Will this overwrite those patches being that Preware doesn't know about them? Should I make patch files and install them via the new WebOS QI when it comes out? Should I make my own package feed so AUPT applies to them as well?

Great questions! I love the opportunity to discuss the specifics and I'm sure there are ways to tweak and improve going forward as well

So first and foremost I'd like to clarify that AUPT is built into the postinst/prerm scripts used to install/remove packaged patches.

Now a couple of main points regarding the foundations are how Palm does updates.

1) All of the Palm OS files are split up into packages. /usr/lib/ipkg/info/ contains all Palm stock package info, along with md5sums, file lists, ipkg control files etc.

2) Palm updates on a package-by-package basis, rather than a file-by-file basis. All files are updated/overwritten in a package.

A vast majority of the patches we have only touch one single Palm package, and thus -should- always be totally applied or totally unapplied.

On installation of an AUPT patch the stock palm md5sums (as seen from /usr/lib/ipkg/info/ for each file touched) are compiled and saved into the patch ipkg app dir.

The removal logic goes as follows:

1) Test a dry-run of patch -R (reversal of patch that was applied), if that succeeds we can safely run a patch -R and uninstall package.

2) Test a dry-run of applying the patch normally (to test if the patch has already been totally unapplied). If that is the case, we are done and can uninstall package.

3) If all files match the existing stock md5sums as per /usr/lib/ipkg/info/*.md5sums or were created, then we know the files are clean and can uninstall package.

4) Check the md5sums list that was compiled upon installation against the currently existing md5sums in /usr/lib/ipkg/info/. When a file's compiled base md5sum at time of installation differs from the current md5sum info from /usr/lib/ipkg/info/ that indicates an OTA update has updated the file. If all files are deemed to be OTA updated (or created files) then the old backup files are wiped out and we can uninstall the package.

There is only a single point of failure I can think of. This is when a patch modifies multiple Palm packages (very few currently do) and when a WebOS OTA only modifies some of those packages rather than all. I deemed this such a rare case that it didn't warrant delaying AUPT further. Since EPR will still be able to get you out a sticky situation where a rare event prevents AUPT patch package removal, there is a fallback. I will also look into making EPR "smarter" (or a new emergency tool) so that it can remove -only- "problem" patches.

One last thing I want to touch on...

But, what happens if files a, b and c are somehow very crucial to running webOS? What if having c patched somehow messes up the running of webOS and somehow messes with the ability to update patches, etc.?
    The only thing I can think of to mess with being able to update, remove or install patches is a malicious patch that touched preware or the ipkg stuff. It would first have to get by our security layer, in which Daniel reviews any patches submitted. If somehow it snuck by, it would be immediately removed from the feed when it was caught.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  9.    #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

If you successfully updated everything you are fine. (The dependency failure will show up when trying to update all. It's when both a dependent and depending patch package needs to be updated that you get this "issue" with update all failing). There's nothing to be done ahead of time, it's a Preware 'bug' that is being worked on. If you run into this case with the next update (and preware isn't fixed by then) then simply removing the depending patches (like uscl memos) should resolve update all issue in that regard

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    First, great job on this all who were involved! Wonderful work and very much appreciated.

I had the issue with the VKB. Taking the advice of egaudet and running the following command via the Terminal app enabled me to install the VKB afterwards......

rm -rf /media/internal/virtual-keyboard
    not sure why it works, but it does. i removed it using internalz and it installs fine now!
    Yes, the rm -rf /media/internal/virtual-keyboard command in the terminal window worked for me also.
    Awesome work guys!
    well had fun with the ok and didnt mind it as much knowing that this update is worth it. Thanx for the info and hopefully the Signed versions will roll out soon.
    I have a question for yall. Will preware still be avalible after a OTA. In the past we had to reinstall it, does this update preware also? Thanks for all your time and effort guys and for putting up with some odd questions
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    If anyone is having any problems upgrading or removing Advanced Phone Menu that look similar to this:

- Hunk #4 FAILED at 121 (while unpatching devicemenu-assistant.jsjsjs)

Try removing GPS in Device Menu.
    Then try removing Brightness in Device Menu.
    You should be able to remove or upgrade Advanced Phone Menu then.

All I can confirm is my experience:
    - removed Brightness in Device Menu.
    - tried removing Advanced Phone Menu; failed with same type of problem.
    - removed GPS in Device Menu.
    - tried removing Advanced Phone Menu; removed successfully.

I have not determined whether removing Brightness in Device Menu is necessary to allow removal of Advanced Phone Menu to work.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I also have a twitter feed and a web site.
    hey guys for the vk are you using the obsolete vk or just running rm -rf /media/internal/virtual-keyboard is enough? thanks!
    i tapped "update all" in preware... got an ipkg error on the first patch it tried updating (4x4 patch)... restarted my phone... 4x4 patch was uninstalled... strange. Loaded preware back up... tapped "update all" and it seems to have worked fine.

I'm using preware 0.9.18 by the way... that seems to be whats available on webOS Quick Install... it asks me to update to preware 0.9.16 when i tap update all, thats also strange.

Also packager manager service x.34 is available in Quick Install, but for whatever reason after I installed it, it still said x.30

I also love you guys (no homo)
    ok i have an issue. there are several patches that i have installed that when i do the update for the patch it says unreversed patch installed. while typing this I decided to try uninstalling through quickinstall and the same thing came up then went backinto preware and tried removing the patch and it worked, it removed all patches that previously did not want to remove. Kinda the long route but it did work, anyone else try this or have this problem?
    You know me to be a reasonably smart person, don't you think I would know if I were wrong?
    So I used EPR to clear out all my patches instead of Luna Restarting every single one. But now after I EPR'd, to download any of them I am getting an IPK Error. Any clue what to do next???
    Quote Originally Posted by dan94darling View Post
    So I used EPR to clear out all my patches instead of Luna Restarting every single one. But now after I EPR'd, to download any of them I am getting an IPK Error. Any clue what to do next???
    if ur ipkg log has no red on it...then ull have to get onto a command line and type:

ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps remove org.webosinternals.patches*
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast