Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    What about themes? Do we still have to remove them before a Palm OS update?
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
    What about themes? Do we still have to remove them before an Palm OS update?
    yes!
    Is there technical information on how the AUPT performs the automatic updates after an OTA update? I'm curious about how every single scenario could be accounted for. For instance, a source file in webOS 1.3.5 may have been modified for a patch, but in webOS 1.4.0 that source file may not exist or may be renamed. Or a particular routine within a module may be moved, renamed, or deleted. I can think of many different scenarios that may occur to the webOS source files during an OTA update, so I was just wondering how AUPT guarantees that all files are updated properly as to not break any OS functionality.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    anyone else hitting errors with vkb?
    Yep
    Getting:
    "ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during post-install script execution"
    Quote Originally Posted by projectkre8 View Post
    Yep
    Getting:
    "ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during post-install script execution"
    i'm getting the same message... tried the old fix of installing the OBS vkb to remove any straggling files, but i dont think this error is the same...

anyone figure this out yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Is there technical information on how the AUPT performs the automatic updates after an OTA update? I'm curious about how every single scenario could be accounted for.
    Me too.

Here's some of my high level guessing at what's going on:

1. An AUPT patch can detect if a file
      • is currently patched
      • was previously patched prior to a webos update that overwrote the file
    2. After a WebOS Update, some patched files will be overwritten by the update and some won't.
      • Those that are overwritten will appear as if they're unpatched, but AUPT will know better.
      • Those that are not overwritten will need to be updated to a patch version that is compatible w/the webos update.

3. updating all patches after the webos update will
      • update all patched files that were overwritten by the WebOS update (e.g. repatch them to a compatible patch version)
      • update all the patched files that were not overwritten by the webos update (e.g. unpatch and repatch to a compatible patch version)

But there still exist risks that:

1. The patched files that the webos update overwrites may interact badly with the patched files that webos doesn't overwrite. Hence EPR may be needed post webos update.
    2. The updated patches may not be available post webos update, prolonging the issues associated with risk 1
    3. Some patched files may be removed as a result a webos update

Do I have this correct?
    Is there anything I missed?
    Is this thing explained somewhere?
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Like a few other posters, I'd love some technical information on how this is all working. I have a number of patches I've done straight to some files on the filesystem (not through PreWare or WebOS QI). Will this overwrite those patches being that Preware doesn't know about them? Should I make patch files and install them via the new WebOS QI when it comes out? Should I make my own package feed so AUPT applies to them as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    That's part of the thing with AUPT, you don't have to EPR anymore. Just update your patches (when they show they need to be updated) after an OTA update
    What about themes? Will they need to be removed before an OTA or does this fix them also? PS you guys are awsome coming up with this finally
    Quote Originally Posted by tdps2 View Post
    Like a few other posters, I'd love some technical information on how this is all working. I have a number of patches I've done straight to some files on the filesystem (not through PreWare or WebOS QI). Will this overwrite those patches being that Preware doesn't know about them? Should I make patch files and install them via the new WebOS QI when it comes out? Should I make my own package feed so AUPT applies to them as well?
    In my short experience with this (but extensive tech/software engineering/etc. experience), I would say that you should do as much through PreWare as possible. Anything on "your own," so to speak, will necessitate more work by you, and possible aggravation. --->Should I make patch files and install them via the new WebOS QI when it comes out? Should I make my own package feed so AUPT applies to them as well?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    The only patch I can't seem to update is 3000 Autoreplace Words. I tried to remove it, then re-install it, but I can't even remove it. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    AWESOME WORK GUYS........
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Do I have this correct?
    Is there anything I missed?
    Is this thing explained somewhere?
    Your system analysis is very sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I also had an issue with Hide App Vendors. the solution in post #58 seemed to work for me. I did the following:

1. loaded up webOS QI, uninstalled the patch (even though it was listed under Applications). Note I got some errors while doing this
    I got an ENORMOUS amount of errors, but my intuition told me I could still be fine, and, sure enough, everything uninstalled fine, except for Virtual Keyboard, which I am dealing with now, thanks to info in another thread.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I'm getting and error with 'Allow Browser in Low Mem' patch. All my other 30 or so patches went through smoothly.

Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during pre-remove script execution

I get this error trying to update it or remove it.
    Will there be a stand-alone install of the newest versions soon? Using the (hack) work-around of using a separate installer is fine and all, but, downloading 2 meg vs. the 200 - 300Meg to get the other one going is a HUGE difference.

I ONLY use PreWare and would like to see an updated stand-alone install of it again because the only one that used to exist was very old and for back when there was still an app limit and such.

M.
    I am having huge issues via update all - i have never been able to get it to work....

ALWAYS get errors....

should I EPR now and start fresh ?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaQ View Post
    I'm getting and error with 'Allow Browser in Low Mem' patch. All my other 30 or so patches went through smoothly.

Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during pre-remove script execution

I get this error trying to update it or remove it.
    if u cant remove or update a certain patch...ur gonna have to run EPR...and if EPR doesnt remove that certain patch ur having problems with...ur gonna have to go on the command line and type this:

ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps remove org.webosinternals.patches*

Update: last night i had an issue updating/removing 5 patches...EPR removed them successfuly but preware they showed as installed/needing an update so just run that command and u should be fine
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73
    Will there be a stand-alone install of the newest versions soon?

Nevermind, I'm Dumb...

So i'm doing this update of 56 patches and every time a patch goes thru i have to hit OK to start the next. any way to turn this off or an OK to all?
    Is the major reason for this new updating system so that we can update many patches at once? I see two concerns in general, other than the technical ones that have already been brought up.

1) I have quite a few "dependent" patches (many patches use services, etc)

2) The next major update may not even require some of my installed patches, as it may fix what they are patching.

Now if this is more or less to take care of the minor updates, like 1.4.0 to 1.4.1, then I can understand why it would make it much easier to update many patches at once.

I have another question. If I just want to do my own updating w/ Preware the "old-fashioned" way, is this still something I can do? For example, say I just keep everything as-is until 1.4 comes out. I doctor my Pre to 1.3.5.1 and then update WebOS to 1.4. Then I want to selectively add patches to 1.4 as needed. Can I still do this?
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast