Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    So... I just removed 16 patches with preware one by one restarting luna after each one. When I try to reinstall them I am getting FAILED ERROR GENERIC METHOD EXCEPTION......tried to use webos quick install and it has an error loading the list.
    What else can I try? I removed preware and reinstalled it with webos QI just now and still the same.
    This is awesome, but I must admit I am a little perplexed as to how this works.

Let's say you have three files a, b, and c. A patch has been applied that updates each of these three files with 1.3.5.1. Then 1.4 comes out that just changes files a and b, and leaves c alone.

I run the OTA update to 1.4 which replaces files a and b, but leaves c alone. The way I understand it, just run Preware and update the patches to versions that support 1.4 (or dummies if it is not upgraded yet).

But, what happens if files a, b and c are somehow very crucial to running webOS? What if having c patched somehow messes up the running of webOS and somehow messes with the ability to update patches, etc.?

I know those are a lot of "somehow"s, and I really do trust the webOS Internals guys (otherwise I never would have patched my phone ;-) ), but inquiring minds want to know.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Whats the instructions for people who patch thru QI?
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    Whats the instructions for people who patch thru QI?
    Use Preware.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dBsooner View Post
    No, it will not update patches that are not in Preware.
    So patches like"Auto-Enable IP Forwarding In Mobile Hotspot" will still need to be removed before an OTA update since that patch is not in preware, unless WebOSQI updates before that time? Do i have that correct?

And also, just to confirm... at this point, would themes still need to be removed before an OTA update?
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hans109h View Post
    Use Preware.
    I don't see this being a requirement.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    This is awesome, but I must admit I am a little perplexed as to how this works.

Let's say you have three files a, b, and c. A patch has been applied that updates each of these three files with 1.3.5.1. Then 1.4 comes out that just changes files a and b, and leaves c alone.
    I'm not sure if we actually do check for this at the moment, but my personal opinion is that we shouldn't allow patches that cross the boundaries of atomic updates from Palm. So either a, b and c are all updated by Palm, or none of them are.

However, I will defer to Eric's word on this, since he designed the AUPT technology, and he may well have an awesome way of dealing with this already that I haven't thought of.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Is the luna restart necessary between each patch update?
    This is awesome and thank you for the great work guys and gals. Can't wait to get home to do this to all three Pre's in the house. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    I don't see this being a requirement.
    You could say it's a recommendation rather than a requirement

But seriously, Jason has already tweeted today that he will be including AUPT technology into WebOS Quick Install 3.0

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You could say it's a recommendation rather than a requirement

But seriously, Jason has already tweeted today that he will be including AUPT technology into WebOS Quick Install 3.0

-- Rod
    I hear ya on that. Thanks for the info and hard work Rod. Have a good one.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    OK.. I used webos QI to install package manager sevices it had two plus signs in front of it. Now preware is letting me reinstall patches I removed! Also before I could not use the update all button now it works.
    Just letting people now of my problem and how I fixed it.
    Thanks to all the people who made this possible!
    For those that have had issues updating Virtual Keyboard, I was able to install properly after removing patch and deleting the virtual keyboard directory in USB mode.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    Is the luna restart necessary between each patch update?
    I had one problem patch that was preventing me from using "update all". Removed that patch via webosqi and then was successful usign "update all".

Thanks folks, this will make updates so much easier. I have a less than technical friend who can now take advantage of the cool stuff that I have been enjoying!

jab
    45 for me, I was wondering what are the most common/useful patches people have installed? I guess I should open a new thread for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    i love you guys (no homo)
    I see you've been following Hank Moody too
    I've got three patches that won't uninstall even with QI . And they are jasons device menu patches . Not sure how to fix this just yet ???
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    thanks for webosinternals hard work. love my pre love webosinternals
    [FONT="Garamond"]Dam1 J1sFONT]
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Battery icon as percent would not update for me. So I removed it, and now cannot install the version in Preware 1.3.5.2

Anyone else?

****EDIT***

Using methos in post #58 works for most update errors.

1. Remove patch in webosQI
    2. add patch through online repository (also in webosQI)

Thats all, both my patches were already updated in the webosQI repository.

Also, I got an error when removing and installing "data in device menu" patch, but it works just fine.
    Last edited by piaband; 01/27/2010 at 09:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    That was stupid! Why did you feel like you had to say "no homo"? Do you have a problem with gay people? People are so ignorant, I hate when they say that. I don't know what we did to have people insult us like the. Whatever.

ON TO THE TOPIC AT HAND: I'm not sure I understand what this means? But if it's a good thing, AWESOME!!!
    Woah, chill bro. Don't take things so personally. Just because you (and maybe I) are a certain way, doesn't mean this person meant to offend you.

If we'd all just laugh at everything, the world would be a better place.

Everyone should be forced to watch South Park until they find it hilarious.