Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 222728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Sorry got a noob question. I looked in preware and quick install but i am unable to find AUPT. Does anyone what i need to do to find it?
    Quote Originally Posted by fob808 View Post
    Sorry got a noob question. I looked in preware and quick install but i am unable to find AUPT. Does anyone what i need to do to find it?
    Please re-read the first post in this thread. AUPT is not a separate item, but is built into all the Patch packages.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Jason / WebOS Internals guys... a respectful request for some guidance.

Sprint WebOS 1.3.5.1
    WebOS QI 3.02
    Preware (irrelevent probably) v0.9.28
    Package Manager Service v0.9.37 (updated tonight with Preware)

I succeeded tonight in updating the 4 of my 5 "manual" patches using QI 3.02. All of my prior-to-AUPT patch removals proceeded without error and were followed by Luna restarts.

However, upon install, I had one patch fail. This patch was previously installed 4-6 weeks ago using QI 2.96 prior-to-AUPT technology and was working fine earlier tonight and playing nicely with 36 other patches. The patch at issue is a slight variation of the LMOrchard's Named Pages patch (modded by me with his guidance to incorporate the hide Quick Launch functionality). But as I said, this has been working perfectly well for the last six weeks.

The failure on install is one Hunk failure in one patched file. (log file attached in zip)

Attempted fixes:
    • I uninstalled all launcher-related patches and tried again. No go.
    • I used WebOS Repair Util to restore just that one file that was experiencing the hunk failure back to stock condition -- still no go.

By visual inspection of the stock file and the .patch, it doesn't make sense that the error log reports failure at line 18 in launcher-scene.html. It seems like it should work fine. Finally, I'm giving up and heading off to sleep.

I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me?

Attached Zip file includes:
    • webos-patches.log (last attempt to install this patch is the last section of the log -- several other tries earlier tonight -- all with the same error)
    • .webosinternals.patches.packages
    • the offending .patch file for your reference. Code lines in question and related to the error are 299-310
    • launcher-scene.html file from my device ('received' via QI after I had restored this file to stock)

I'm perfectly fine with Full Erase-Doctoring tomorrow, but what fun would that be in advance of 1.4 update. I was hoping to ride the AUPT wave straight through, but I'd like to do so with all of my patches back fully installed if possible.

thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by greenawayj; 02/25/2010 at 08:06 AM.
    is aupt dependent on webos version... meaning is it a req to have 1.3.5 and above?
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    is aupt dependent on webos version... meaning is it a req to have 1.3.5 and above?
    We only support patches in the 1.3.5 or later feeds (since all carriers have been at 1.3.5.x for weeks and weeks now). Earlier version patch feeds have been nullified, and any patches from them should be removed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    lately I haven't been clear with my posts, dunno but I'll clarify... I just doctored my wifes pre to 1.2.1 and installed preware.. If I installed patches fromthe latest preware on 1.2.1 and waited for 1.4 to hit ... Are those patches AUPT?
  7.    #627  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    lately I haven't been clear with my posts, dunno but I'll clarify... I just doctored my wifes pre to 1.2.1 and installed preware.. If I installed patches fromthe latest preware on 1.2.1 and waited for 1.4 to hit ... Are those patches AUPT?
    You will not find any patches available for install while running 1.2.1, or any other webOS version prior to 1.3.5.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    ok well, i read thru the post, and saw how people were having problems and was real reluctant to try this
    I see the auto-update might be a great thing, but will it work?

So i decide to give it a shot. i have about 15 patches installed (all with preware)
    I chose to update the minor patches first in case i have a problem, its not an important patch to lose. I chose swipe to delet for contacts (removing with the same program i installed with preware)

Well that patch wouldnt update, even tho it showed update avail in preware(all u supposed to do is update the patch and it'll have the aupt-3 right?) That failed, so i rebooted, then removed the patch, rebooted, then tried to reinstall fresh, still another ipkg error

so i chose another patch, words instead of arrows for email. so instead of updating to get the upt-3 , i deleted the patch, rebooted, then tried to install the same patch (should have the autuupdate right?) still getting an error, cant install

so with that im scared to remove any more patches, as i will not be able to get them again without doctoring. and all the patches were working fine for weeks, all i was trying to do is update them for this auto update thing

so wahts the problem, why wont it update and why even if i remove the patch, i cant simply reinstall it

seems this auto update thing still has major kinks
    Have you tried EPR? That will remove all your patches then you can reinstall them and they will be AUPT-3...you only have 15 patches? LOL, how do you sleep at night?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    seems this auto update thing still has major kinks
    Stuck patches and IPKG log errors have nothing to do with AUPT.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  11.    #631  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    That's not entirely true. A consequence of the aupt-2 bug is that it will remove created files of a patch but not unpatch existing webOS files. Thus after removal of a patch that has combination of created files and patched webOS files, the reinstall will fail.

The most user-friendly, easy to explain solution is:

Wipe all patches and reinstall all (aupt-3 should not create any unnecessarily stuck patches or bad reinstalls)

The slightly more dangerous, harder to explain generically and not guaranteed solution is:

remove all patches in same category and repair the files that were left patched

Users with linux knowledge can also just grab the patch generate the created files and throw them on the device where they belong so that subsequent install will pass (seeing the entire patch as already applied).

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post

ok whats a stuck patch? I had no problem with the patch, had i not simply tried to update to be on this AUPT thing i would b working right now. Every one of my patches work that were installed. They just wont update, or if i remove first, i cant install it back. I'm SURE its because AUPT added something (hence the patch is ALREADY working, i dont need to install again, WHY? if it already working?, only reason to reinstall is to get the AUPT thingy)

And i say it has major kinks simply because I have WORKING patches that cannot transform into the AUPT thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Have you tried EPR? That will remove all your patches then you can reinstall them and they will be AUPT-3...you only have 15 patches? LOL, how do you sleep at night?
    ok i thought EPR simply removed all the patches all at one time to be simple. Whats the difference removing one by one? Im able to REMOVE a patch fine. Just have a problem updating it or reinstall it after a remove

At this point, im afraid that if i use EPR, and remove all, i wont be able to install again, as i'm not able to do now with that these 2 patches i tried on
    Trying my hardest to NOT have to doctor my phone just to get the AUPT
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    That's not entirely true. A consequence of the aupt-2 bug is that it will remove created files of a patch but not unpatch existing webOS files. Thus after removal of a patch that has combination of created files and patched webOS files, the reinstall will fail.

The most user-friendly, easy to explain solution is:

Wipe all patches and reinstall all (aupt-3 should not create any unnecessarily stuck patches or bad reinstalls)

The slightly more dangerous, harder to explain generically and not guaranteed solution is:

remove all patches in same category and repair the files that were left patched

Users with linux knowledge can also just grab the patch generate the created files and throw them on the device where they belong so that subsequent install will pass (seeing the entire patch as already applied).
    Thanks Eric, I didn't mean to be so general. Sorry!

ok i thought EPR simply removed all the patches all at one time to be simple. Whats the difference removing one by one? Im able to REMOVE a patch fine. Just have a problem updating it or reinstall it after a remove

At this point, im afraid that if i use EPR, and remove all, i wont be able to install again, as i'm not able to do now with that these 2 patches i tried on
    Hopefully you can remove and reinstall them all one by one and then reinstall for the updated versions. I would make a list and remove all 15 first and then reinstall them.
    Then run Emergency File Verification to make sure all patches are updated.

16.    #636  

EPR uses backup files to recover files. So whereas a manual removal of an aupt-2 patch may not actually fix the files, EPR will.

-Eric G

Donate
    Hey Eric -- Regarding my post #630 above. I totally understand if people (you collectively, not just you personally) don't have time to read my long post and read my log files to see what might be happening in my case. But I'm wondering if I can ask some more advice to help me diagnose and self-repair...

One thing I hadn't tried yet was EPR of all patches and then reinstallation of all from there. It's only 36 patches so not that big of a deal.

So assuming I can EPR and all current patches uninstall properly, should I then EPV to confirm no other files are still incorrectly patched. Will EPV actually confirm this when I theoretically have 0 patches installed.

More importantly if the Hunk error I'm getting is in a file I KNOW to be a proper Palm default file (put on last night with WebOS RU) and which should be patchable, do you have any ideas as to why I would be getting a fail?

Again, I have 0 expectations of help from any of you guys -- if I get it, that's icing -- , but since you seem to be online and if you have an idea or two, I'm fairly self sufficient when primed with another avenue to try to help myself. Clearly, Full Erase and DR are around the corner if I need them.

Thanks.
  18.    #638  
    A quick guess is that it could be something to do with Windows carriage return bytes, or another improper patch generation issue. I'll take a look at your other post when I get a chance (I'm at work) if you don't solve it by then.

EFV should work with 0 or 100 patches installed.

-Eric G

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    A quick guess is that it could be something to do with Windows carriage return bytes, or another improper patch generation issue. I'll take a look at your other post when I get a chance (I'm at work) if you don't solve it by then.

EFV should work with 0 or 100 patches installed.
    Thanks so much. I'll let you know if I do get it fixed or just go the DR route. I'm finishing up some work too. I think the earliest I'll get back to this will be around 9.
    Hi Eric -- Minor update (I'm procrastinating I suppose)-

My steps so far (no fruit yet - I'm at a loss)

• Ran EPR - all patches removed OK. No errors. Ran it again just in case.
    • Ran EPV - 3 non-stock files -- 2 of which I'm aware of and are totally unrelated to this issue. not sure about mount.blacklist

------------------------------------------------------
    Emergency Patch Recovery Thu Feb 25 18:41:37 EST 2010
    DONE

Emergency File Verification Thu Feb 25 18:54:09 EST 2010
    Detected stock files modified via a method other than supported patch technologies:
    File: /etc/palm/downloadManager.conf
    File: /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace
    File: /etc/udev/mount.blacklist

• Opened and tried to install my personalized patch. It's in the zip in my prior post. Only change I tried tonight with that patch is to change its name (eliminated the _ and the capital letters) now named: app-launcher-named-pagesnoql-v5.patch.
    • Patch failed. Same error log as before (full log attached to prior file)

PATCH INSTALLATION Thu Feb 25 19:06:05 EST 2010
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.patches.app-launcher-named-pagesnoql-v5/app-launcher-named-pagesnoql-v5.patch

----------------------------------
    Dry run patch attempt...
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launcher-assistant.jsjsjs
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/stylesheets/launcher.css
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/launcher/launcher-scene.html
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 18.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/launcher/launcher-scene.html.rej
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/sources.json
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/app-info-assistant.jsjsjs
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/launcher/dialogs/app-info.html
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/rename-page-assistant.jsjsjs
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/launcher/dialogs/rename-page.html

dry run failed, checking if -R would succeed
    patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launcher-assistant.jsjsjs
    Unreversed patch detected! Ignore -R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    Skipping patch.

patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/launcher/launcher-scene.html
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 18.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/launcher/launcher-scene.html.rej

Installation FAILED!
    ls -R /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.patches.app-launcher-named-pagesnoql-v5
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.patches.app-launcher-named-pagesnoql-v5:
    app-launcher-named-pagesnoql-v5.patch
    package_list

• Finally, the stock version of the launcher-scene.html file is in my zip. I installed it last nigth using WOS RU's install single file feature. If it were not the stock file, then EPV would have told me, right?
    • Finally finally, I'll state again that this patch was installed and working fine up until last night when I needed to remove and reinstall it so that it would be AUPT-3 compatible for "today's" 1.4-fest!! I'm not blaming AUPT or WOS QI at all -- I'm just mentioning this as background. Clearly, this must have something to do with prior failed installs / failed removals, I just don't know how to fix those things.

Thanks again for any ideas you might have. I'm generally not one to give up when logic tells me this should work fine, but I'm pretty close to that point now that I'm patch-less. That's just the way things go sometimes.

I'm at a loss.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 02/25/2010 at 06:22 PM.