Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    thanks 2sslow...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hey,

According to Sconix and the VERY sparse webOS dev site info, to change the wallpaper without any unusual behavior (like the device menu drop) someone would need to create an app that will update the file path for the wallpaper in the webos database, like ModeSwitcher does. It is a 'setPreferences' command and therefor programmatic, not HTML/JSJSJS $based$. $A$ $programmer$ $could$ $probably$ $write$ $additional$ $code$ $to$ $change$ $the$ $topbar$ $to$ $use$ $the$ $same$ $image$ $and$ $refresh$ $luna$ ($or$ $possibly$ $at$ $the$ $minimum$ $refresh$ $the$ $top$ $bar$ $DIV$) $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$ $and$ $wrap$ $it$ $all$ $up$ $into$ $a$ $single$ $app$, $but$ $I$'$m$ $guessing$ $that$ $working$ $with$ $Sconix$ $and$ $ModeSwitcher$ $to$ $add$ $that$ $functionality$ $to$ $MS$ $rather$ $than$ $double$ $up$ $on$ $apps$ $that$ $do$ $similar$ $things$ $would$ $keep$ $redundancy$ $to$ $a$ $minimum$??

Either way, good stuff to know.
    What's stopping us from just using a translucent scrim?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Quote Originally Posted by The_lane View Post
    What's stopping us from just using a translucent scrim?
    It doesn't work this way. The top bar is not a stereotypical 'overlay' like many other system UserInterface elements, it is a seperate 'box' set on top of the wallpapered 'box' like a stack of books. Naturally, the dust cover for the bottom book doesn't extend underneath the dust cover of the top book. They have two different dust covers. This patch wraps both books in new dustcovers that line up just so to make it appear as though one was used. If we were to attempt to use a transparent BG, all you would (and do with webOS) is see the bland hardcover underneath.

Unfortunately, because of this design choice by Palm, and due to Palm chosing to store the wallpaper path programmatically in a database entry rather than as a 'scrim' defined by a CSS entry, a wierd thing happens with this patch: It skins a screen element that is normally transparent - to show the REAL wallpaper - with an opaque element that ends up being used to skin other elements, like the device menu background (thus the 'deviceMenu drop earlier discussed).

You can acheive the desired effect by modifying the patch so that only the topbar and not the body.palm-default element is skinned by the statusbar-scrim.png file (a renamed copy of your wallpaper in the media/internal/scrims folder) after setting the wallpaper normally with the Photos app and then restarting luna. It will work. I have done it myself.

I'm sure that if you asked nicely 2sslow could hook you up with a patch that will do this, rather than jump into editing a CSS file entry without hosing your UI.
    Last edited by jnever1; 09/20/2010 at 03:34 PM.
    I'm very interested in the CSS code to scrim just the top bar. I'll try and figure it out on my own, but I'm not great at this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    I'm very interested in the CSS code to scrim just the top bar. I'll try and figure it out on my own, but I'm not great at this stuff.
    /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css

Code:
    body.plam-defualt {
         background-image: none;
         background: transparent;
         padding: 0px;
         margin: 0px;
         height: 100%;
         -webkit-user-select: none;
    }
    #statusbar {
         height: 28px; // some patches change this number
         background: url(/media/internal/.scrims/statusbar-scrim.png); // this path must match where you are storing your top-bar scrims
         background-color: black; // transparent doesn't work here, white will result.
         border: none;
         width: 100%;
         padding: 0px;
    }
    This is my set up. There is more in the file, but this is all that matters for these purposes. Just copy your desired wallpaper to the 'scrims' folder (i use ".scrim" to hide the folder from the photos app) in /media/internal/ and rename it to statusbar-scrim.png (unless you write your code line to call for something different, like topbar.png...they need to match up). Make sure you save your systemui.css edits, and have your wallpaper copy in place, then restart luna. Wal-lah: Palm is pretty again. :-)

!!!!!!!!!!!! REMEMBER !!!!!!!!!!!

Manually editing .css files will very likely hose your ability to back out of already installed patches and possibly your ability to install new ones and may alos cause undesireable secondary system effects (like the 28px menu drop). The beauty of the patching procedure is that is tests for a large chunk of target code to be intact before making modifications to smaller protions. If you screw with stuff in the large chunk, any new patches that attempt to write to that code may fail. As well, uninstalls may fail after manual edits for the same reason as installs - if the code doesn't match up, FAIL. Period. You can, however, make back-ups (like webosinternals does) of files to represent before and after tweaks and save yourself a lot of headaches. :-)

Also, once you learn your way around .css and .jsjsjs $files$ $you$ $may$ $find$ $yourself$ $tweaking$ $with$ $just$ $about$ $anything$ $you$ $can$... $it$ $can$ $get$ $addicting$ $easily$! ;-)
    Last edited by jnever1; 09/23/2010 at 01:13 PM.
    jnever1,

I may sound like an ***** here if I am assuming wrong, but I think I have half way solved your issue. I installed the top bar scrim patch, and created two images, "statusbar-scrim.png", and "statusbar-scrim-clear.png". Then I made the systemui.css changes below:

Code:
    #statusbar {
    		height: 40px;
            background: url(/media/internal/scrims/statusbar-scrim.png) 0 0 fixed;
    		background-color: transparent;
    		padding: 0;
    }

body.wallpaper, body.palm-default {
    		background: url(/media/internal/scrims/statusbar-scrim-clear.png) 0 0 fixed;
    		background-color: transparent;
    		-webkit-background-size: 100% 100%;
    		color: white;
    }
    What this does is almost what you want. It allows the image that is stretched over when you open the system menu to be clear, and keeps the top bar background whatever image you have set it for. This also proves that the washed out look is coded, because it is still there. I haven't dug too much, but so far, I can't find it / don't know where to look. Hopefully this helps a little though. (See Attachments)

Again, if this is not at all what you wanted, or if you have already tried this and I am beating a dead horse, then I apologize.

The problem I am having is that I want to stretch the top bar to 40px high. I tried just editing the CSS, as you can see above, but that doesn't do anything for me. Any thoughts?

-J-
    I managed to modify the translucent scrim patch also to work slightly better.

My image has the top bar part, and then the rest of the image is transparent. The code I'm using is:

Code:
    #statusbar {
    		height: 28px;
    		background-color: black;
    		padding: 0;
    }

body.wallpaper, body.palm-default {
    -webkit-background-size: 100% 100%;
    color: white;
    }

.status-bar {
    		background: transparent;
    		color: #fff;
    		font-weight: bold;
    		font-size: 14px;
    		line-height: 25px;
    }
    The "drop" still remains, but it's possible using deester's ideas will help eliminate it completely. There is no "washed out" overlay when using this code.
    tobias, can you upload a screenshot? I must have missed something because I didn't get the desired effect. Not sure what it could be though... there's not a lot going on...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester4x4jr View Post
    tobias, can you upload a screenshot? I must have missed something because I didn't get the desired effect. Not sure what it could be though... there's not a lot going on...
    First pic is the scrim file I'm using. As you can see it is transparent except for the actual top bar, which I made in Photoshop.

Second pic is the statusbar with no menu open.

Second pic is the statusbar with menu open. As you can see, the drop effect remains, but otherwise it works as it should.

edit: please ignore my launcher scrim. it isn't lined up correctly because i haven't updated the patch i made to work with sconix's latest spacing changes.
    looks good... Il have to try again after work today. Are you using the glass theme for your menu background or did you do that yourself? The black looks uber sexy.
    It's part of my own theme, Grayscale 3D Bevels v2.
    K it works great.
    got to do a "how to" and I'll post the patch.
    Last edited by warlord9159; 09/29/2010 at 03:36 AM.
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

Please do... I'm having trouble still... pulling my fricken hair out trying to get it to do aNYTHING different... sheesh.
    next I'm going to try an animated gif.
    But first I will get this patch working good.

I think we're talking about two different things. I can get the patch to do what I want it to do with the top bar image. The problem I have is that when you tap the battery to view the device menu, it washes out the image behind the menu that comes down. tobias got it to not do this... but I am not having the same luck...
    yea that's working for me... not what I'm trying to do though... I guess I'll keep pulling. :-)
    lol sorry. if you had the hair i got it wont take long

Quote Originally Posted by Deester4x4jr View Post
    I think we're talking about two different things. I can get the patch to do what I want it to do with the top bar image. The problem I have is that when you tap the battery to view the device menu, it washes out the image behind the menu that comes down. tobias got it to not do this... but I am not having the same luck...
    Is this what your talking about

Yea... see how the screen behind is greyed out? I'm trying to make that stop. The theme Glass Effect Suite achieves it... I need to see what they are doing.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast