Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I used "scrims" instead due to the fact that Windows wont allow you to create a folder w/a "." at the beginning of the name.
    Good observation. I haven't noticed that issue, because I hate using USB drive mode. I have on occasion, but only for quick transfers then back off USB mode again.

Thank you for fleshing our your reasons as well. Not that I was trying to bad mouth your patch at all! I love it! I didn't love seeing the scrims folder in my photos app though, so I changed it, since I have the tools and knowledge to readily do so. :-)

I'm still kinda ****ed about the background shift that occurs when I open my device menu and none of my tweak attempts so far seem to be having any positive effect. I'm also interested in removing the gray haze overlay that lies beneath the device menue (or app menu) and the app-launcher/background levels... still looking though.

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    This only works with .png files? What about .jpg files (camera pics taken with Pre)? Any chance of that changing or do I need to convert all my files to .png?
    Yes, JPGs will work just the same, however, you will need to do some code modifications in systemui.css to reflect your choice of file extension.

-OR-

you could install Internalz and just rename the JPG in question to the PNG file extension.

I prefer to rename my files with internalz.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    This only works with .png files? What about .jpg files (camera pics taken with Pre)? Any chance of that changing or do I need to convert all my files to .png?
    Just change the .jpg to .png w/ Internalz or windows either will work.

Quote Originally Posted by jnever1 View Post
    Good observation. I haven't noticed that issue, because I hate using USB drive mode. I have on occasion, but only for quick transfers then back off USB mode again.

Thank you for fleshing our your reasons as well. Not that I was trying to bad mouth your patch at all! I love it! I didn't love seeing the scrims folder in my photos app though, so I changed it, since I have the tools and knowledge to readily do so. :-)

I'm still kinda ****ed about the background shift that occurs when I open my device menu and none of my tweak attempts so far seem to be having any positive effect. I'm also interested in removing the gray haze overlay that lies beneath the device menue (or app menu) and the app-launcher/background levels... still looking though.

Any ideas?

This should solve most of your issues except the device menu shift issue (I have not seen this though)

This will remove all of the unnecessary fades.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Here's what I'm talking about with device menu shift:

As you can see with the first set, there are some things going on that I like, and some that I don't. For instance, the menu background shows transparency despite the ugly gray background-masking beneath it. I like this. I don't like the gray mask though, and feel that it is sort of weird considering the transparency level of the menu. Why did Palm double up on the partial transparencies? I would expect the menu background to be opaque...

I also don't like that the background shifts down about the 28px height of my scrimmed top bar. This happens without scrim, too. I haven't been able to determine the document box model flow pattern yet, but still, the drop seems like a glitch when compared to the launcher-menu functioning perfectly, as can be seen in the second image.

Primarily, I'm interested in killing the gray under-masking. I want it 100% clear.

Secondarily, I'd like to stop the device menu background drop.

I have webOSdoctor1.4.5.jar partially extracted on my desktop with 7zip and am doing PNG seearches. They take forever and testing mods takes even longer.

Thanks for the attempt to help with the fades patch. It failed to finish (expectedly - because I've tweaked so much stuff already), do to some linage mismatching, but I tried modding the targets anyway. No go. Still have the ugly gray veil.
    in /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/347/images there is a PNG named system-menu-background.png that is used for the app-menu and system/device-menu.

However, I think the masking effect is javascript. My reason to believe so is that:

With topbar scrim patch in effect, and having changed the wallpaper through the photos app (NOT by changing files in the scrim folder), bringing up the device menu shows statusbar-scrim.png image masked, NOT the current wallpaper.

Some code must be calling for the systemui.css background image and running some javascript image filters on it, and fails to make the correction for the topbar height.

example:

notice the reduced opacity of the menu now as compared to last post. :-)

I'll keep on it...
    Last edited by jnever1; 09/11/2010 at 06:58 PM.
  6.    #46  
    sconix has been the resident expert in launcher and device patches here lately, he can probably help w/ this.

as far as the first set of pics, try removing any launcher patches you have and install the advanced config for launcher patch from sconix and you will get this effect.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

7.    #47  
    or this.

Follow the link below.

The patch didnt work for me.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  9.    #49  
    which one?

Follow the link below.

statusbar-scrim.patch. I downloaded the patch. Put a copy of my wallpaper in scrims and renamed the image. To no avail.

as far as the first set of pics, try removing any launcher patches you have and install the advanced config for launcher patch from sconix and you will get this effect.
    Thanks, I gave it a whirl. It's not what I want to accomplish. It's gotta be a javascript function. Watch the menus closely and you'll see that they scroll in as the gray overlay fades the background out. This is for every app with a menu as well, not just launcher. Now that I know how to scrim the menus, I want to make they dead gray go away.

Hopefully, when/if I find the code, I'll be able to push the background image back up, or at least make a modded file that fits the change...

I vote that you add menu scrims to your multi-scrim patch though. Why not?!
    Jason: is your wallpaper a PNG and not a JPG? Most wallpapers I have are JPGs that I have to rename to filename.png with Internalz. Phone pictures and screencaps default to JPGs too.
  13.    #53  
    Thanks, I gave it a whirl. It's not what I want to accomplish. It's gotta be a javascript function. Watch the menus closely and you'll see that they scroll in as the gray overlay fades the background out. This is for every app with a menu as well, not just launcher. Now that I know how to scrim the menus, I want to make they dead gray go away.

Hopefully, when/if I find the code, I'll be able to push the background image back up, or at least make a modded file that fits the change...

I vote that you add menu scrims to your multi-scrim patch though. Why not?!
    Ive got a version for that just need to know what version and carrier you are on. it will probably be later tomorrow b4 i can post it for you though.
    btw its 3:00 am here now, so you should be able to figure out whatever time difference there is.

Follow the link below.

Jason: is your wallpaper a PNG and not a JPG? Most wallpapers I have are JPGs that I have to rename to filename.png with Internalz. Phone pictures and screencaps default to JPGs too.
    i'll check that out.
    Can i possible do this for multiple wallpapers? because i configured Mode Switcher to change my wallpaper as i change modes.

Ive got a version for that just need to know what version and carrier you are on.
    Sounds like you are about the same time zone I am (Detroit -05:00 GMT).

I'm on Sprint, 1.4.5-Pre. Take your time though. I'm going to try and break a few things in some of the .JSJSJS $files$ $to$ $see$ $if$ $I$ $can$ $kill$ $the$ $gray$. $Which$ $means$ $I$'$m$ $planning$ $on$ $seeing$ $the$ $good$ $Doctor$ $soon$. $There$ $are$ $some$ $mojo$ $programming$ $conventions$ $I$ $need$ $to$ $look$ $into$ $first$ $that$ $I$ $THINK$ $describe$ $the$ $superset$ $of$ $all$ $visible$ $elements$ $on$ $the$ $screen$ $at$ $any$ $given$ $moment$. $It$ $seems$ $like$ $the$ $menu$ $routine$ $uses$ $this$ $kind$ $of$ $screencap$ $and$ $an$ $image$ $filter$. $Javascript$ $has$ $some$ $reasonably$ $well$ $known$ $filters$ $out$ $there$, $such$ $as$ $the$ Nihilogic Labs set, so I don't imagine I would be a difficult thing to programmatically append (or reverse engineer).

As always, thanks for you hard work on skinning the Pre/Pixi!
    Last edited by jnever1; 09/12/2010 at 02:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Can i possible do this for multiple wallpapers? because i configured Mode Switcher to change my wallpaper as i change modes.
    Probably not, Jason, sadly.

From what I have observed, there is a place other than in the systemui.css declaration that calls a specific wall paper file. MS takes advantage of this. 2sslow's patch seems to circumvent it. Plus, to see the result of a topbar scrim change, luna needs to restart, which may or may not be a desireable thing or even possible with MS. (I don't use MS.)

You'll probably just have to make a ##statusbar-scrim.png file for each wallpaper you use and manually rename them as mode switcher changes and have luna restart when you are done.

A programmatic alternative is to number each of your MS wallpapers 1.png, 2.png, 3.png etc and then write code that extracts the # of the wallpaper and passes it to the systemui.css entry so that luna looks for #statusbar-scrim.png. Then have MS restart luna every time you change wallpapers.

I don't know how to do it personally, I'm not much of a programmer. Anything is possible though. :-)
    Last edited by jnever1; 09/12/2010 at 02:04 PM.
    Probably not, Jason, sadly.

From what I have observed, there is a place other than in the systemui.css declaration that calls a specific wall paper file. MS takes advantage of this. 2sslow's patch seems to circumvent it. Plus, to see the result of a topbar scrim change, luna needs to restart, which may or may not be a desireable thing or even possible with MS. (I don't use MS.)

You'll probably just have to make a ##statusbar-scrim.png file for each wallpaper you use and manually rename them as mode switcher changes and have luna restart when you are done.

A programmatic alternative is to number each of your MS wallpapers 1.png, 2.png, 3.png etc and then write code that extracts the # of the wallpaper and passes it to the systemui.css entry so that luna looks for #statusbar-scrim.png. Then have MS restart luna every time you change wallpapers.

I don't know how to do it personally, I'm not much of a programmer. Anything is possible though. :-)
    Seems like a little bit too much work for a clear topbar lol.

I made a custom top bar scrim that does not rely on the current wallpaper (i.e. It is a graphic I designed just for the top bar) but I also have the same problem as Jason Black. I cannot get my menus to show correctly: they always take my top bar graphic, make it opaque, and underlay it below the menu, offset by 28px. I would love a fix for this.
    I should also mention that my top bar scrim only contains the top 28 px, the rest is transparent, yet the problem still occurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    I should also mention that my top bar scrim only contains the top 28 px, the rest is transparent, yet the problem still occurs.
    2sslow's patch doesn't necessarily "rely" on the current wallpaper, it simply reuses a single file to skin both the topbar and the wallpaper at the same time. It's a convenience factor that makes sense when most of the time we want our top bar to match a wallpaper graphic.

As for the menu drop: I'm still digging for the javascript that makes it happen. However, my understanding of the DOM (document-object model) is that the 'wallpaper' area of the screen is a seperate container from the top bar. So, when the menus appear within the area of the wallpaper they are effectively pushed below the top bar container and remain bound within the wallpaper container.

There is a way to position elements beyond these boundaries with negative positioning values. I'd like to try and employ this method to push the top of the under-device-menu wallpaper graphic beneath the top bar. I'm not having much success in finding it though and may be SOL if the routine is hard coded or if the image file is used specifically for the underlay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also haven't had a stock 1.4.5 for more than 5 minutes and don't remember if the menu drop happens before scrimming...
    Last edited by jnever1; 09/12/2010 at 11:02 PM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast