Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    update: This is in PreWare now!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    ok i need some help with this. i know i created the right folder and put it where its supposed to be cuz i use your multi scrim patch and they all work. but with this one nothing happens! i got this patch through preware and renamed the picture that i want as my background "statusbar-scrim.png" and nothing!

i also use the 'named pages patch' i dun know if it conflicts with it or not
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by antaeuz View Post
    ok i need some help with this. i know i created the right folder and put it where its supposed to be cuz i use your multi scrim patch and they all work. but with this one nothing happens! i got this patch through preware and renamed the picture that i want as my background "statusbar-scrim.png" and nothing!

i also use the 'named pages patch' i dun know if it conflicts with it or not
    No conflict w/ that one!

The most common problem w/ my patches is that some operating systems are set up to automatically set a pic as jpeg, and when you name it xxxx-xxxx.png it will rename it to xxxx-xxxx.png.jpg

Check to make sure its not a hidden suffix and doublecheck your spelling and no quotes.

I have done tihis on 5 Pres personally and it work fine.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    you were right i was renaming a .jpeg file "statusbar-scrim.png" but still doesnt work...i have the battery icon and percent icon does it conflict with that one?
  5.    #25  
    It has issues w the battery patches but still works. it will have a black box around the numbers.

Is your image 320x480 and again no quotes?

please email me the image and let me look at it.

2sslow@gmail.com

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    its to bad this never worked for me. Would have loved it. maybe u could make it work with the battery patches
    Sanyo basic Flip phone- Moto Krazer- Moto Razer2- Palm Pre
  7. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    so, this patch is great! (just found it) but the pre feels weird its signature rounded corners. I was wondering, is there any way to "scrim" the rounded corners. In this concept it would be as if the rounded corners were there but are show the background behind them instead of black?
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    so, this patch is great! (just found it) but the pre feels weird its signature rounded corners. I was wondering, is there any way to "scrim" the rounded corners. In this concept it would be as if the rounded corners were there but are show the background behind them instead of black?
    Yes, there is a way to get rid of the rounded corners. In WOSQI, goto tweeks and there is a option to "squarify" the screen. I did this about 8 months ago, it looks so much better.
  9. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdonehew View Post
    Yes, there is a way to get rid of the rounded corners. In WOSQI, goto tweeks and there is a option to "squarify" the screen. I did this about 8 months ago, it looks so much better.
    Yah, i know about the squarify patch. That just creates square apps. I want the corners, just as if there were translucent.

So i was looking at the code of this patch and it seems to change the css file. Does anyone know if the corners are done with a png file and if so, where that file is.

Edit: found the info in another post. Here is the result. I manually made new round corners. It looks a little weird. mostly the bottom corners. i might make the bottom ones black.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by R_E; 07/16/2010 at 02:11 AM.
    Ahh, I misunderstood your first post, my fault. I thought you wanted to get rid of the rounded corners, not have them appear in apps translucent. It's not for me, but it's cool to see that it is possible to do.
    Hey, 2sslow,

I got your "battery compatible" fix right here...

Based upon information reverse engineered from org.webosinternals.patches.top-bar-battery-percent-and-icon_1.4.5-1_all as found at Index of /feeds/webos-patches/1.4.5/

there are three lines of code that need to be changed in /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css :

Code:
    +/* Begin: Battery Percent / Image w/ Percent */
    +#power.battery-percent {
    +	width: 38px;
    +	background-color: black;
    +}
    +#power.battery-percentimage {
    +	width: 49px;
    +}
    +#power.battery-percentimage-charged {
    +}
    +/* End: Battery Percent / Image w/ Percent */
    Change the background-color: black; to background-color: transparent; and you're golden.

Of course, my research is based upon only one battery patch, others might be different.

Here are two screencaps as proof:

Quite honestly, I would approach the battery patchers to change their patches, rather than try to accomodate each into yours. It wouldn't hurt the battery patch results at all to leave the background-color: transparent; as a permanent edit. i.e. transparent over black is still black :-)

P.S. Here's a sweet app-launcher scrim fade that really shows off the true beauty of your patch IMO and a screencap that shows it in action if any are interested:

Link to scrim.png --> scrim.png
    Last edited by jnever1; 09/10/2010 at 09:54 PM.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by jnever1 View Post
    Hey, 2sslow,

I got your "battery compatible" fix right here...

Based upon information reverse engineered from org.webosinternals.patches.top-bar-battery-percent-and-icon_1.4.5-1_all as found at Index of /feeds/webos-patches/1.4.5/

there are three lines of code that need to be changed in /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css :

Code:
    +/* Begin: Battery Percent / Image w/ Percent */
    +#power.battery-percent {
    +	width: 38px;
    +}
    +#power.battery-percentimage {
    +}
    +#power.battery-percentimage-charged {
    +}
    +/* End: Battery Percent / Image w/ Percent */
    Change the background-color: black; to background-color: transparent; and you're golden.

Of course, my research is based upon only one battery patch, others might be different.

Here are two screencaps as proof:

Quite honestly, I would approach the battery patchers to change their patches, rather than try to accomodate each into yours. It wouldn't hurt the battery patch results at all to leave the background-color: transparent; as a permanent edit. i.e. transparent over black is still black :-)

P.S. Here's a sweet app-launcher scrim fade that really shows off the true beauty of your patch IMO and a screencap that shows it in action if any are interested:

Link to scrim.png --> scrim.png
    Thanks Ill make the changes and submit it to PreWare ASAP.

BTW im not sure what you did w/ the launcher scrim? Could you explain what you did, I could not replicate this. Thanks

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    Edit: found the info in another post. Here is the result. I manually made new round corners. It looks a little weird. mostly the bottom corners. i might make the bottom ones black.
    It's a kinda screwy situation. Because the "rounded corners" graphics are overlaid, you can't really just turn them fully transparent and score the effect I think you are looking for (background showing through the transparent corners of full view cards). Your way is A solution, but a hard won victory that would better suit integration into a complete theme.

I'm sure there is a more flexible way to go about it. For example, open up your email card, then (for lack of a better term ATM) minimize it. Two things strike my eyes in this transition from full view to card veiw.

1.) the corners are rounded and transparent where the full rectangle corners would be. Drag it around slowly with your finger side to side and notice that the rounded corners are always clean.

2.) the contents of the card in card view reflect the last visual state of the card, i.e. card view is static where app may by dynamic.

In other words, there is some instantaneous coolness going on in the full-->card transition that may hold the key to transparent full view corners. However, you are likely going to run into app-by-app inconsistency. For example, Govnah rounded corners on squarified screen show the 'naked gray' of an empty app scene, while the scrimmed photos app will show full squared transparent corners. Setting scene default background color to transparent would seem to be the winning idea. I doubt it's possible since I have yet to see any partial screen apps. (I'm using transparent top corners and black bottoms, BTW)

govnah example
    photos scrimmed example
    custom default app-loading card, showing rounded corners

It would certainly be something to bring up at the dev forums. They would know better... or you could set up a dev account and fool with the Ares platform yourself.
    Last edited by jnever1; 09/11/2010 at 02:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    BTW im not sure what you did w/ the launcher scrim? Could you explain what you did, I could not replicate this. Thanks
    Yeah... I saw that my scrim.png link was hooked to the wrong image. The link has been corrected now. feel free to snag it HERE or hit up the previous post.

As for replication:
    Sure. I pulled the original launcher scrim from /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images using winSCP over SSH (the optware setup) and opened it with photoshop where I cleared the entire image and ran a custom gradient from bottom to top, keeping with the PNG format that allows for transparency.
    Here's a cap of the gradient setup:

at 00%, #000000 is set to 100% opacity
    at 15%, #000000, 100% opacity
    at 25%, #000000, 75% opacity
    at 80%, #000000, 75% opacity
    at 100%, #000000, 0% opacity
    (mid points were left unaltered 50%)

It would be just as easy to drag the gradient from lower corner to above corner so long as your snapping config is normal. (Not trying to sould lame here, just being thurough... not sure how deep you want your explanation).

Anyway, saved it, then dropped it back onto my Pre using WinSCP again and then restarted Luna. Hope this is what you were looking for.

On a side note:
    Have you noticed the background shift that occurs when you open the Device Menu? Something is weird with Palm's coding there. My immediate guess is that the top bar "floats' over the wallpaper, effectively making some negative space beneath the bar. Perhaps we need only to discover this DIV placement and push the background down. Of course, then your topbar scrim would need to be seperate image... i'm gonna screw with some stuff and see how it reacts...
    Last edited by jnever1; 09/11/2010 at 03:01 AM.
  15.    #35  
    ok I see what you did there! I think?

Have you tried the squarify corners tweak in WOSQI? that tweak works for all but the palm device info screens.

BTW, why not use my launcher scrim patch instead of changing the originals.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Have you tried the squarify corners tweak in WOSQI? that tweak works for all but the palm device info screens.
    Used it, then undid half of it! lol... they are still overlays (the corners z-level is set higher than the card z-level) so, aside from doing what R_E did, which is try to do cut-outs from the background that would match up invisibly as overlays, I don't see how to pass transparency through a solid layer like the app background. (Kind of an oxymoron, eh?! :-)

BTW, why not use my launcher scrim patch instead of changing the originals.
    I might yet, but I learned how to do this the hard way an old habits are hard to break. I like the way your top bar scrim works, but I still have to manually rename the files that go in there. Maybe if you created an app that could select files (from wallpapers directory for example), copy them to scrims, rename them appropriately (and the old on to backup1,2,3 etc) and then restart luna???

Plus, I'm sort of picky about the color of my font and what icons I like changed, etc. It's arguably easier for me to simply collect all the images I like and do a comparative dump via WinSCP than to apply a theme and then tweak it out to all hell.

And I would write my own patches too, if I didn't get the authentication stomp from the git hub... DARN YOU GIT HUB AUTHENTICATION FAILURE!!!
    Last edited by jnever1; 09/11/2010 at 02:08 AM.
  17.    #37  
    I also have a launcher font color change patch to help w/ that.

You can open it up w/ internalz on device and change font color at will.

I understand the icon thing cant be done via patch yet! but some other patches could make your life easier and on device! Have you tried Internalz?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Follow the link below.

Terminal/Internalz/openSSH/openSFTP/WinSCP/Putty ... The list of tools goes on. We are blessed with a well stocked webos garage!

I've looked into your black text patch before. I had previous mods that screwed up your patch so it couldn't complete. Once I saw the code though, Internalz got me through.

You do good work on the design front, 2sslow, no doubt about it. And you know how to write patch code which is where I would like to be (I have a power saver mod for Brightness Unlinked that imits the max values of the adjuster sliders that is stuck in rooter-land until I can get authenticated to the GIT.)

Just now modded your topbar scrim patch to pull from "/media/internal/.scrim" instead of "/media/internal/scrim" so I can keep my photos app uncluttered...

:-) it's always the little things!
    Last edited by jnever1; 09/11/2010 at 02:52 AM.
  19.    #39  
    I used "scrims" instead due to the fact that Windows wont allow you to create a folder w/a "." at the beginning of the name.
    I felt using"scrims" was easier for people who weren't comfortable using command line to crate folders.
    What I do is use the scrims folder and then after i install all my patches I use internalz to rename the folder to ".scrims" to hide all of the .pngs from the photo viewer.
    The only drawback is if I want to add new ones I have to rename the folder again then add the .pngs, once I do a luna restart i can rename it again and Im done.

Follow the link below.

20. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    This only works with .png files? What about .jpg files (camera pics taken with Pre)? Any chance of that changing or do I need to convert all my files to .png?
    Last edited by mk3; 09/11/2010 at 11:49 AM.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast