Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Got it working, though I had to use us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all.ipk instead of us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk to get it to work on my Pre.

Thanks to everyone for their hard work!
    anyone have an issue where, when you turn on mobile hotspot, it says 'turning on' FOREVER, and never actual works?
    wow! This is amazingly fast! I think its faster than my home router bc i share with other people. so I take it if i'm a family data plan, EACH user gets up to 5gigs of data?
    Last edited by RanGT; 01/25/2010 at 03:43 PM.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    anyone have an issue where, when you turn on mobile hotspot, it says 'turning on' FOREVER, and never actual works?
    Yep. Been trying for hours to no avail. I made sure the MyTether patch was disabled, uninstalled it, rebooted, and then followed the instructions to install Mobile Hotspot to no avail. When I open it up, it is stuck on the coveted "turning on" state as you mentioned.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthroat View Post
    My speed is about the same with MT and MHS
    Your speed test posting was on Comcast, not on Sprint. You can't get 34 MB/s on Sprint! (Wow)

EDIT: Looks like you have the speedtest.net picture as your signature??? How confusing... why???
    Last edited by crxssi; 01/25/2010 at 04:29 PM.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by saddo View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you. I did just that, and now, im typing this while using the Hotspot app. once again, thank you for sharing that. It was much appreciated...
    No problem, we're all here to share and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDAustin View Post
    One thing about this is it drains the Pre's battery fast. I started this morning with a full charge. Used the MP3 player for about 20 minutes then set up the tether at work. I was at 10% battery after about 80minutes of tethering.
    That is to be expected. Having the tether on is even more power load than talking on the phone, since both radios are on and it doesn't really sleep. For occasional use, it should be just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by trizzcuitt View Post
    i cant get freetether to show my ip address but my mobile hotspot connects but i cant get on the interent..Any ideas would help
    Reinstall freetetherd using Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    That is to be expected. Having the tether on is even more power load than talking on the phone, since both radios are on and it doesn't really sleep. For occasional use, it should be just fine.
    yeah tethering takes up a lot of battery....always charge no matter which tethering u use...sometimes ur battery will drain slowly while tethering...thats how it is when i used mytether
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    I was having this problem until I uninstalled the MyTether WiFi patch. Now everything is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion747 View Post
    Its sprint can see this more easy, that my tether? because is like an official app in the Verizon pre
    Not unless they put spy code (phone home) in the hotspot app or in the underlying service it uses. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone has looked into the code yet (or if they have, I have not seen it, or it wasn't posted). Plus, they COULD update webos to add spy code into the service later. I seem to be the only one posting that concern (several times now).

If there is no spycode, then it is no different than mytether and can't easily be determined by Sprint.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    jeffsaha, just to clarify - the palm Mpbile HotSpot application creates an infrastructure access point, not ad-hoc like you were guessing.
    yeah, i kinda jumped the gun when answering haha.

I was thinking the mobile hotspot was essentially the same as MyTether. BUT not till i successfully got the Mobile Hotspot running did I realize that I was wrong. So the problem is with the Zune HD, itself, and not with the access point.
    Your speed test posting was on Comcast, not on Sprint. You can't get 34 MB/s on Sprint! (Wow)
    That speed test is my Sig, I was just stating that my speed with both mytether and Mobile Hotspot have been about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by abrahamryan View Post
    I deleted mytether completely thinking that might keep mobile hotspot from hanging and never turning on....it didn't fix it. It still hangs on "Turning Mobile HotSpot". I don't know what to do now????
    If you had mytether installed and activated the Wifi patch, then uninstalled mytether without deactivating the patch, you could be hosed. You might have to reinstall mytether, just to deactivate the patch... or give up and Dr the phone
    Quote Originally Posted by kbywal View Post
    I have the same problem as karmapolice: everything seems to work fine (laptop connected to my PRE) and then suddenly PRE is losing its 3G data connection. It is possible to turn it on again, but after a while it is the same: 3G data connection is lost.

Any help would be appreciated !

EDIT: PRE loses its 3G data connection when a new Wi-Fi connection to the MobileHotSpot is established
    Anyone?
    Reinstall freetetherd using Preware.
    Just about to jump into getting MHS up and running. I already have the freetetherd.ipk file from another source, but I wanted to clarify how the freetetherd.ipk is available via Preware.... I thought it was in the testing feed which is not available yet to Average Joe Preware user? Just clarifying to see what I'm missing here?

To answer my own question --

with some pretty indepth (non-obvious) searching... the answer is here:

forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/208788-howto-reenable-wifi-tethering-free-mytether-17.html#post2146066 Edited: URL Hyperlink wouldn't work - Post #330

ipks from the testing feed will show up in Preware to be "updated" once they are already installed on the device. Hence, initial installation of the freetetherd.ipk must still be done (as of 1/25/10)using WebOS QI.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 01/25/2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Post-post Search found my answer
    The rapid**** link is dead. New sauce?
    ok this was a trip i got a authorization error on my phone saying that service wasn't allowed by Sprint.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slickrick909 View Post
    The rapid**** link is dead. New sauce?
    Marinara?
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Just about to jump into getting MHS up and running. I already have the freetetherd.ipk file from another source, but I wanted to clarify how the freetetherd.ipk is available via Preware.... I thought it was in the testing feed which is not available yet to Average Joe Preware user? Just clarifying to see what I'm missing here?

To answer my own question --

with some pretty indepth (non-obvious) searching... the answer is here:

forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/208788-howto-reenable-wifi-tethering-free-mytether-17.html#post2146066 Edited: URL Hyperlink wouldn't work - Post #330

ipks from the testing feed will show up in Preware to be "updated" once they are already installed on the device. Hence, initial installation of the freetetherd.ipk must still be done (as of 1/25/10)using WebOS QI.
    Oh, you are right, it is not quite as easy as I made it out to be- you DO have to enable the test feeds. Sorry about that. I don't know why the makers of Preware don't give the option to just install a local file, too. Since using ipkg on the command line can't (for whatever reason) install packages that have scripts, it certainly would make things a lot easier (if you already have the ipk). Maybe I will suggest that to them as an enhancement.

Anyway, congrats on getting it installed! It is refreshing to see people on the forums actually research stuff and succeed (and even share their findings!) Although, I will point out that I installed tetherd with preware only, and it worked first time, no need for QI.
Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast