Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 364142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
  1. 729

Not lightning fast, but it works!
    so check this out, I got it to "semi-work".....

my phone has it installed, I connect via my computer (laptop), which connects just fine (to the phone, using the wireless capability)....

but when I try google or facebook or any other page, it won't work....***! using sprint, MHS Version 1.0.14

The laptop sends Google to http:/// yes, that's it, just says page changed or link expired...idk what's wrong, any ideas what may be happening....

then a few minutes after, I'll get the message saying sprint don't allow me to share network or internet, 4got what it says....
    1) make sure bluetooth is off
    2) you may have to give it a minute for your 3G connection to re establish itself after turning on Mobile Hotspot. Look for the 3G icon in the Top Bar.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    anyone got another way to get the actual hotspot app cause its gone
    the hotspot wont turn on in the app
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedrewitt View Post
    the hotspot wont turn on in the app
    I'm fairly certain that I followed all the instructions I could find, have freetether and mobile hot spot ipk's installed from webosquickinstall, preware current, etc.

Everything appeared to go without error, but the MHS app, once opened on my Sprint Pre, simply won't slide out of the 'off' position. I can edit or modify any other setting there, but the bottom of the app only says 'Mobile HotSpot service is not running'.

I'd love to make it run, but can't figure out how? Anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtcrook View Post
    I'd love to make it run, but can't figure out how? Anybody?
    try rebooting. If that does not work, reinstall "Free tether"

hmmm it stopped working for a few days on my Sprint Pre and gave me the "....internet sharing not allowed..." crap message. As of today (now actually) it's up and running again.
    Hmmmmm. Mobile Hotspot shows up in my Launcher, turns on and shows up on my laptop as an avaliable network. I choose my (hotspot) network, it shows that it connects but nothing...on the bottom right there's an icon of two computer monitors that shows a blue orb (windows vista) when it connects but that never shows up. Any ideas about what I'm missing?

Edit: I'm on Sprint 1.4.1.1
    I think the problem that Thoughtcrook and Mikedrewitt mentioned above is worth investigating further. I have the same issue: Palm Pre, Sprint v 1.4.1.1, installed freetether and mobilehotspot1.0.3 plus IPforwarding. The Mobile Hotspot program works and I can change the settings, but I can't turn it on (slider stays off). It was suggested that upgrading to 1.0.14 solves the issue, but you can't upgrade via the Palm App Catalog since the upgrade is for Verizon phones only.
    Rebooting and reinstalling some or all of the components doesn't work, and neither does WebOSDoctoring.
    Any ideas, work-arounds or solutions would be greatly appreciated by a great number of people (including me) who seem to have this problem. For instance, is there another way to get mobilehotspot1.0.14 (assuming that actually solves the problem)? Thanks in advance.
    I've come across something odd. I'm on Bell, in Canada, and initially had Mobile Hotspot working, with the following files:

auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.0.11_armv7.ipk
    us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk

Everything worked fine, but then going to the App Catalog (I'm in Canada, remember), it shows an update for Mobile Hotspot, to v1.0.14. Going to the actual App's page, I get the "Not available in your Country" message, but I AM able to actually update it through the list of Apps when clicking on the shopping cart icon from the main screen of the App Catalog.

If I upgrade, it stops working. Leaving it at v1.0.11, everything works fine. The only annoyance now is that I can no longer use the "Install Updates" button in the App Catalog, as this will update Mobile Hotspot as well.

My only theory is that Bell has made the update available, in order to disable MHS from functioning on their network.
    Got it working for a bit today. Now it seems that Sprint knows what Im doing because I got a small message from them about data services... then when i ignored it it kept dropping my net connection on the palm... mac stayed connected to the pre. Any ideas?

thanks
    s0nguy
    Quote Originally Posted by s0nguy View Post
    Got it working for a bit today. Now it seems that Sprint knows what Im doing because I got a small message from them about data services... then when i ignored it it kept dropping my net connection on the palm... mac stayed connected to the pre. Any ideas?

thanks
    s0nguy
    The only time I have seen that message is if one of the following is going on...

- WiFi is on
    - Bluetooth is on
    - you are using an encrypted connection (setting other than open is being used

Other than that I have no idea as I've never had issues with using MHS on my pre
    Can connect to Mobile Hotspot, but cannot access the web (even though the connection status shows internet available).

Any ideas what could cause this?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    ok... it's working now... slow as hell but hey... i cant complain.. just need access to email while traveling.

thanks to this forum and developers for providing something Sprint should be providing to all of us on hte "everything data plan" in the first place.

-s0nguy
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I've been tinkering with this for about a month now. I'm on Sprint.

At first, it wouldn't run. Then one day out of the blue it would run just fine and I could set everything up. A day or two later, I'd get a msg saying something about not being an available option on Sprint.

I just tried it again for the first time in a couple weeks and it seems to actually work with no warning msg.

Pretty slick. Yeah, it's slow as anything but it works.
    I had this app working for the longest time, and I went to go use it today and it appears the app is not handing out DHCP addresses. I tried connecting with my laptop and iPhone and both show up as straight MAC addresses in the "connected devices" section and 169.X.X.X addresses.

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing this information. I tried this today for the first time with my Sprint 1.4.5 Pre, and it works great. Speedtest.net consistently shows about 1.3 Mb/s download and 0.3 Mb/s upload. (I do have all 5 signal strength bars lit up right now.)

I installed the FreeTetherd and FreeTether packages from the 1st post, rebooted the phone, and installed the Mobile Hotspot link from post #929. I started up freeTether, moved both sliders to the right, then started Mobile Hotspot, gave my network a name, and connected my laptop via WiFi.

And when a call comes in, the data connection drops (obviously), but when I hangup the call, the data connection comes back by itself. Very Nice..!
    Quote Originally Posted by menomonee View Post
    Thanks for sharing this information. I tried this today for the first time with my Sprint 1.4.5 Pre, and it works great. Speedtest.net consistently shows about 1.3 Mb/s download and 0.3 Mb/s upload. (I do have all 5 signal strength bars lit up right now.)

I installed the FreeTetherd and FreeTether packages from the 1st post, rebooted the phone, and installed the Mobile Hotspot link from post #929. I started up freeTether, moved both sliders to the right, then started Mobile Hotspot, gave my network a name, and connected my laptop via WiFi.

And when a call comes in, the data connection drops (obviously), but when I hangup the call, the data connection comes back by itself. Very Nice..!
    The first post states the download links/instructions are out dated. The new 1.4 method (from Drew) no longer has the .ipks posted. Did you follow the out dated method on webOS 1.4.5 and end up with a working tether setup?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by menomonee View Post

i can verify that this method works on 1.4.5! woooo thanks a lot!
    works on 1.4.5. thank you.

Last edited by douglasazo; 08/22/2010 at 03:23 AM. Reason: wrong html for image