Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    for the record .... using the minidhcp from 1.3.5.x along with all the other files resolves the need for the static dns addy problem I was encountering.
    I didn't run into that issue at all.. I'm using the minidhcpd from 1.4 (if it's even any different than 1.3.5?) and DNS resolution seems to be working fine. I guess YMMV.
    Yes, it works, but I'm also having the hang on reboot issue. Any ideas?
    Worked first time. Awsome. Thank you. Backing to running Mobile Hot Spot on 1.4. I missed it. Thanks again.
  5.    #805  
    Couldn't handle the freezing during restart so I rolled back to 1.35 until the issue is resolved. (I disabled the auto updates) during my scheduled daily restart my phone would just go offline which meant no alarm to wake me for work in the morning....

ooops
    Last edited by Centrico; 03/08/2010 at 08:43 PM.
    So which part of this is causing the freezing? That's got to be the last hurdle to making this work (fairly) reliably again.

My money is on the 1.3.5.1 PmNetConfigmanager file, or the modifications necessary to make this work. I am at a loss as to what else we could try. ha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I too have MHS working, but am experiencing the hang on restart. Not a good combination with restart cron enabled. I will be checking /var/logs in the morning. Has anyone else checked these logs?
    sweet! progress is being made! keep it up guys!

I'm still sticking with 1.3.5.1 until it gets simple enough for me to take it on....gettin close!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I would bet that the hang is PmNetConfigManaer as well.

Question: In linux is there such a thing as a shutdown script? that could be run when the system is sent the restart command...So maybe the killall command can be used to kill PmNetConfigManager prior to restart command being executed? In fact you could/should kill PmNetConfigManager & Freetetherd, just in case. I seriously doubt it's MobileHotspotd or Minidhcp since they're only running when the app is open.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I'm of the opinion that it is something in the shutdown scripts. These are located in /etc/rc6.d. Just running 'reboot' from the commandline (or phone menus) will run all the scripts located in this directory. I have not isolated what in these scripts is hanging up, but executing the last script in that directory (/etc/rc6d/S90reboot, which will be the last item run because of the file naming) will do a power cycle of the phone (without hanging.)

The script that kills PmNetConfigManager does NOT seem to hang the phone if run by itself, but it's possible it's causing the hangup because of its interaction with the other shutdown scripts.
  11.    #811  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    I would bet that the hang is PmNetConfigManaer as well.

Question: In linux is there such a thing as a shutdown script? that could be run when the system is sent the restart command...So maybe the killall command can be used to kill PmNetConfigManager prior to restart command being executed? In fact you could/should kill PmNetConfigManager & Freetetherd, just in case. I seriously doubt it's MobileHotspotd or Minidhcp since they're only running when the app is open.
    I don't think so, I never installed PmNetConfigManager and still experienced the hanging, but I did add/ remove other files.

good work guys, and good luck
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I added some debugging statements to the scripts in /etc/rc6.d (thanks to bspesq for pointing out the location of the shutdown scripts).

I am fairly sure that the hang is occurring during the execution of S40sendsigs, which basically terminates and kills open processes.

Tried excluding minidhcpd and mobilehotspotd from kill list, but no luck.

The next step after sendsigs is unmount file system. Does anyone know the danger of unmounting file systems before all processes are killed?
    I just sent mobilehotspotd binary and sent the other file as well to the phone, and tried to reboot and it locked up.
    So I'm guessing it has to do with those files interfering with some other shutdown file.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Well, pks627, you're definitely on the right track. The killall5 command in those scripts is what's killing the phone. I...tried adding mobilehotspotd to the exclude list, but in doing so (stupid me for not using a real shell) screwed up the file. Could someone let me know what S40sendsigs is supposed to be linked to (something under init.d, I presume)?

Note that we also have us.ryanhope.freetetherd which is another process that's running all the time. It should probably be excluded too, in case it's causing the problem.

I seriously don't recommend it, but it is possible to fix the reboot 'hang' by removing the S40sendsigs kill script. No processes will be killed, so it's entirely possible that filesystem or file corruption will occur when apps aren't ordered to die before the OS is rebooted.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    S40sendsigs -> /init.d/sendsigs
    This is getting more and more complex... and I love it! haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Brainstorming session...

So, I think daemons (like freetetherd, minidhcpd, freetetherd, etc) are excluded from the kill list since as soon as you kill them, they are immediately restarted (nature of the beast). So this script uses a command called pidof to return the process ids of daemons to be excluded from the kill list. Problem is pidof freetetherd returns nothing. Don't know why.

So I suspect this script keeps killing freetetherd and it keeps coming back - forever.

Ideas?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zx3junglist View Post
    I didn't run into that issue at all.. I'm using the minidhcpd from 1.4 (if it's even any different than 1.3.5?) and DNS resolution seems to be working fine. I guess YMMV.

I suspect that your version of MHS is different somehow since you didn't have the palm folder in /usr/lib/ipkg, tho.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Quote Originally Posted by pks627 View Post
    Brainstorming session...

So, I think daemons (like freetetherd, minidhcpd, freetetherd, etc) are excluded from the kill list since as soon as you kill them, they are immediately restarted (nature of the beast). So this script uses a command called pidof to return the process ids of daemons to be excluded from the kill list. Problem is pidof freetetherd returns nothing. Don't know why.

So I suspect this script keeps killing freetetherd and it keeps coming back - forever.

Ideas?
    Is there a way to edit the script to pause the startup on freetetherd? Like adding a pause 2 seconds command? Only enough time for the kill script to finish.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    I just sent mobilehotspotd binary and sent the other file as well to the phone, and tried to reboot and it locked up.
    So I'm guessing it has to do with those files interfering with some other shutdown file.
    I don't think this should be ignored without inquiring a bit further.

What was your Pre's state prior to copying over the files? Was this a freshely 1.4 Doctored phone? What was the status of the all the files associated with MHS?? [PmNetConfigManager, MobileHotspotd, & MiniDHCP] Finally, you sent mobilehotspotd and WHAT other file over to your Pre that caused the hang? Do you mean the /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd upstart script?

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!