Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243444550 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Does the free version of mytether work with wifi? or are you guys talking about the paid version?
    I am talking about the paid one. Just remember to uninstall FreeTether before buying MT (they conflict or something)
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    I am getting the same error, did you resolve this issue and How do I turn on freetether? It does not show up on my screen?
    i would try this but i cant even get the freetether app, i had it before the upgrade!!! i can however get the mobile hotspot app!! i get errors with freetether app being flaged or something! and doesnt show up on my phone. So.. Good Luck
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joehoms View Post
    I am getting the same error, did you resolve this issue and How do I turn on freetether? It does not show up on my screen?
    Back at the beginning of this thread, there were three packages listed. One was MHS 1.03, the second freetether app, and the third one the freetether service that allows the freetether app to work. Everyone was using freetether to enable IP forwarding on the Pre at first. Somebody (Jason?) wrote a patch for MHS 1.03 that used the freetether service to automatically enable/disable IP forwarding, which negated the need to load the freetether app. The patch used the freetether service though, so that was still needed.

Long story short, if you have the freetether service installed, go back and find the freetether app and install it as well. It will put an icon on the launcher screen to load it. The program has two slider buttons. On my working 1.4.0 Pre, the NAT button is turned on by default, and the IP Forwarding button is turned off. If you open/enable MHS, then open freetether and slide the IP Forwarding button to on, you should be good to go...assuming that you've spent lots of time at a Linux prompt downgrading all of the prerequisite files back to their WebOS 1.3.5.1 versions.....
    do i have to have 10 post first
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    For anyone still trying to downgrade the services on their phone to WebOS 1.3.5.1 level so that MHS 1.03 will function, these are the changes that I have made. Note the file sizes to determine which version binaries I'm using:

Code:
    -rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root       147551 /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        72175 /usr/bin/minidhcpd
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        65501 /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    -------------------------------------------------------
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 145 /etc/event.d/minidhcpd
    Code:
    # This is the job file for minidhcpd

start on started PmNetConfigManager

# console output

exec /usr/bin/minidhcpd
    respawn
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 155 /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd
    Code:
    # This is the job file for mobilehotspotd

start on started PmNetConfigManager

# console output

exec /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    respawn
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 95 /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.mobilehotspot.service
    Code:
    [D-BUS Service]
    Name=com.palm.mobilehotspot
    Exec=/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd

rm /usr/lib/ipkg/info/mobilehotspotd.postinst (???)

(If you cut/paste the above, BE CAREFUL OF THE UNIX/LINUX LINE TERMINATORS, which need to use the Unix/Linux LF and not the Windows/DOS CR+LF at the end of every line!)

You can find lots of hints for problems in:

/var/log/messages
    /var/log/mobilehotspot.log
    /var/log/minidhcp.log

I started out by removing the MHS 1.03 package.

From what I can determine, I'm still using the WebOS 1.4.0 minidhcp binary, but have re-added the included startup script to /etc/event.d .

I copied the WebOS 1.3.5.1 /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd binary to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd , and added a startup script for it (pointing to this new location) to /etc/event.d .

I modified/copied the above com.palm.mobilehotspot.service file to the directory listed.

I replaced /usr/bin/PmNetconfigManager with the version from WebOS 1.3.5.1.

After all of this and a reboot (pulling battery because the phone locked up while rebooting), I installed MHS 1.03 again. I didn't uninstall either the freetether application package or the freetether service package, so they were still both installed. If you want to use the IP forwarding patch that's bouncing around, this would be the point to install it.

Once everything is done, open the MHS application and configure the wifi parameters. Then, slide the switch to enabled. Since I'm not using the IP forwarding patch, I minimized MHS to a card and launched freetether. In freetether, NAT was already enabled but IP forwarding was off. Slide the IP forwarding switch to on, minimize freetether to a card, and connect your wifi client(s) to test it.

If everything is working properly, your wifi client should have an IP address on the 10.1.1.xxx subnet, with the default gateway and DNS server set to 10.1.1.11. If you don't see this, minidhcp probably isn't running on your phone. If you do see this, you should be able to surf the web through MHS.....
    I'm pretty sure the app for free tetherd isn't working! Unless you had it before the update
    Quote Originally Posted by chad0723 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the app for free tetherd isn't working! Unless you had it before the update
    i have free tether and free tetherd on 1.4 and both work perfectly..... but i'm also using Mytether 2.1.0
    i dont get it where am i transfering these files to?
    1. transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-binary directory to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/

2. transfer the file in the mobilehotspotd-event.d directory to /etc/event.d/
    if anyone can help me with this i would be very greatful
    Quote Originally Posted by diggsnicca View Post
    if anyone can help me with this i would be very greatful
    The binary (executable,daemon,service)
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        65501 /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    goes here
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/

The upstartscript (same name but a shellscript)
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 155 /etc/event.d/mobilehotspotd
    goes here:
    /etc/event.d/

See the difference in size
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    For anyone still trying to downgrade the services on their phone to WebOS 1.3.5.1 level so that MHS 1.03 will function, these are the changes that I have made
    Excellent work... Now perhaps these files can be packaged up nicely for n00bs like the rest of us
    Does this apply to GSM phones? I tried the "new" steps on the first post, but couldn't get an ip from my phone
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Does this apply to GSM phones? I tried the "new" steps on the first post, but couldn't get an ip from my phone
    Just answered myself
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2290444

I had to create 2 files and restore PmNetConfigManager from the 1.3.5.1 webosdoctor. It's working now.

Thanks!!

BTW, no need for static DNS, DHCP worked here flawlessly for both the IP address and DNS address

Thanks! Thanks!!
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    Excellent work... Now perhaps these files can be packaged up nicely for n00bs like the rest of us
    yes yes please!!!! i would love to have mhs back....trying to understand all this linux and files stuff is mind boggling....or is someone could do some really good instruction to do from command line or something....would be great!!!
    Probably a stupid question...

How do I get:
    147551 /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager

From the 1.3.5.1 version without doing a webOSDoctor restore to my phone?

I have tried unpacking the .jar file and going through some of the .tar files it contains, but haven't had much luck yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck_brady View Post
    Probably a stupid question...

How do I get:
    147551 /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager

From the 1.3.5.1 version without doing a webOSDoctor restore to my phone?

I have tried unpacking the .jar file and going through some of the .tar files it contains, but haven't had much luck yet.
    You're going good:

Inside the first jar, you can find the file webos.tar inside the resources directory
    inside webos.tar you can find the file nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz which contains the filesystem that is copied to the Pre when you doctor it

And inside nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz you can find the file, inside /usr/bin

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I'm in action as well. Use instructions from first post of this thread, and you'll have to replace the PmNetConfigManager with the one from 1.3.5.1. Because it's running, you'll have to killall the process before overwriting the file. So that's something (don't blindly type this!) like:

cp /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager.140
    killall PmNetConfigManager
    cp /mnt/media/PmNetConfigManager.1351 /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    reboot

Did not have to diddle with anything else--DNS and dhcp seem to be working without issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by bspesq View Post
    I'm in action as well. Use instructions from first post of this thread, and you'll have to replace the PmNetConfigManager with the one from 1.3.5.1. Because it's running, you'll have to killall the process before overwriting the file. So that's something (don't blindly type this!) like:

cp /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager.140
    killall PmNetConfigManager
    cp /mnt/media/PmNetConfigManager.1351 /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    reboot

Did not have to diddle with anything else--DNS and dhcp seem to be working without issue.
    Linux/Unix lets you delete the files even if they're in use (it just frees it when it stops getting accessed). I just deleted the file, copied the new over by WebosQuick Install and rebooted

Don't forget to remount your filesystem as rw to fiddle with the files
    I also had a broken MHS after upgrading to 1.4. I can say that I have it mostly working after following some advice by the people in this thread. I followed the steps in the first post, and that wasn't enough. Here's what I did:

* Put mobilehotspotd (binary) into /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin
    * Put mobilehotspotd (script) into /etc/event.d/
    * Remove /usr/bin/mobilehotspotd
    * Tried to remove /usr/lib/ipkg/palm/mobilehotspotd.postinst (I don't have a palm folder in /usr/lib/ipkg)
    * Reboot
    * Install freetether, MHS, patch, in that order.
    * Reboot

At this point, I was hoping that everything would work. MHS would start and appear to be ready to function, however, when I would connect to it using a PC, the PC could not acquire an IP address from the Pre. Obviously something was wrong with the DHCP server on the Pre. I had to do the following:

* Restore /etc/eventd/minidhcpd with the contents from this post
    * Replace /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager with a copy from 1.3.5.1 (it's 147551 bytes, while the 1.4 version is 152900)

And now it seems to work. The remaining issues: now, my Pre hangs on reboot. I need to use Orange+Sym+R repeatedly, or pull the battery. Also, like someone stated before, the ppp EVDO data connection drops for a short while after connecting a client. It comes back on its own.